WWDC 2010 banners focus on iPhone OS 4 features, App Store success

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

cloud - n. A buzzword used by marketing executives too young to remember "thin clients".

"I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind." ?Ecclesiastes 1:14
  • Reply 82 of 100
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Where did the speculation of free MobileMe come from? Any sources or is this just a pipe dream?
  • Reply 83 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Where did the speculation of free MobileMe come from? Any sources or is this just a pipe dream?

Yeah... no.
  • Reply 84 of 100
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

MacDailyNews broke that rumor. It was unsourced.

However, there's been an interesting change recently that supports the rumor, although it's by no means a smoking gun:

http://gizmodo.com/5556370/come-mond...bileme-be-free

(To save you the trouble of clicking the link, paid members have noticed their Account Status changing from "Individual" to "Full Member." Which makes you wonder, "Are there going to be non-Full members??")
  • Reply 85 of 100
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

However, there's been an interesting change recently that supports the rumor, although it's by no means a smoking gun:

(To save you the trouble of clicking the link, paid members have noticed their Account Status changing from "Individual" to "Full Member." Which makes you wonder, "Are there going to be non-Full members??")

Thanks for the information. This also leads the question, will there be a charge for iWork.com? It's been in beta since January of 2009. Surely this would be Apple's answer to Google Docs?
  • Reply 86 of 100
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I forgot about Safari and Xcode

Apple offering free mobile me would certainly be something, I would leave Google and Gmail in a heartbeat.

+1! Funny, people talk about android phones as competiton for iPhone but the razor cuts both ways.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You can bet there have been pictures of every Gizmodo employee circulated to security with orders to "tase" first, ask questions later.

• Reply 88 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

cloud - n. A buzzword used by marketing executives too young to remember "thin clients".

And too young to remember the audacious, and now in hindsight absolutely ridiculous, "The Network Is The Computer" slogan that Sun Microsystems ran with for years. And where is Sun now? Yup, there ya go. Don't forget as well, Sun's "We're the Dot in Dot Com". They were also the "Assh" in the "Dot Com Crassh"
  • Reply 89 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Apple will give free Mobile Me to all iPhone purchasers. This will be "Member" or "Basic Member".

Those who have paid Mobile Me will be "Full Members".

Presumably "Basic Members" will "just" get push email, cloud syncing for Contacts, Calendars and Gallery... But will have much reduced space for emails eg 5GB or less, maybe no iDisk, for example.

"Full Members" who have paid will not get a refund or store credit but will get a boost in their available hard disk space in the cloud, for example, or some new "bonus features" just for "Full Members".

...My prediction.
  • Reply 90 of 100
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Presumably "Basic Members" will "just" get push email, cloud syncing for Contacts, Calendars and Gallery... But will have much reduced space for emails eg 5GB or less, maybe no iDisk, for example.

...My prediction.

that sounds more than reasnoable for personal use
  • Reply 91 of 100
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Nice idea, nvidia.

I agree we really are at the point where they need to make a lite version free. How about that data center in North Carolina?
  • Reply 92 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Nice idea, nvidia.

I agree we really are at the point where they need to make a lite version free. How about that data center in North Carolina?

I think the NC data centre will be fully ready by end of the year, they have enough capacity at the moment to handle all *new* iPhone purchases to include MobileMe Lite.

Knowing how far in advance Apple plans, the NC data centre is for MobileMe capacity, iTunes Store and push servers for through to the end of 2012.

Berger(is it okay calling you that LOL) will you be on chat tonight?

Are we going to use the usual AOL chat room "appleinsider"?
  • Reply 93 of 100
    Okay everyone, as usual, use chat room "appleinsider" (no caps)... In iChat, click File, Go To Chat Room... enter "appleinsider" (no quotes). Let's get a nice crowd going during the event.
  • Reply 94 of 100
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

The app store success cannot continue to be Apple's card, the future lies in web apps and more innovative use of the cloud.

I want a phone with a decent camera and a larger screen, so I can read books on it - and when travelling, shoot good quality photos that are then beamed directly to my photo sharing destination of choice.

Don't ignore forthcoming phones from Motorola and Nokia that both feature Xenon flashes and take excellent photos - and have larger screens. The iPhone's main pro was it's responsive screen, but now, people are expecting more.

So, come June 7, if the next iPhone is not the ONLY device I need carry with me on my travels, Android beckons with it's superior hardware. Or perhaps even the Nokia N8 with it's excellent camera.

Haven't you been reading tech blogs for the past couple of months? There's this new iPhone 4 thing coming, you know. We already know it WILL have a much better camera with a flash, and as for the screen it will have a much higher resolution than the present iPhone, so you get pretty much what you ask for. Want to read e-books? I don't know if you've heard of it, but Apple has released this thing called an iPad which is pretty much made for that purpose.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:

+1

The build quality of Macs has definitely gone down.

Oh really? Please feel free to examine the build quality of a 2010 MacBook Pro and compare that to the build quality of a plastic iBook from past times. Are you seriously telling me that build quality of MacBooks have gone DOWN? Yeah, you're welcome to compare iMacs of past and present too. You think a 2010 aluminium iMac is lower build quality than a plastic iMac from 2000?

You must be nuts!
  • Reply 96 of 100
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

Can you say to me that Mac is behind on the industry?

The MBP certainly is behind the industry.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    Quote:

The web helps to get work done? Not with Facebook and those "funny videos" flying all over the place.

The same could be said of books. Books help you to get work done? Not with comic books and those "comic strips" flying all over the place!
  • Reply 98 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

And by the way, what mobile phone has an easy-to-use video phone capability that's already connected to millions of people?

Are you talking about the new Microsoft phones for teenagers? The TV commercials indicate that they do that.

But I hear that they suck really bad.
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

And how does "open" meet your needs? How does "open" make you "fairly impressed"? The iPhone has over 200000 apps - I'm not sure how many more needs aren't met by those apps

There's a few notable ones:

Google Voice

Free Turn-by-Turn directions

Google Lattitude

Google Goggles

Etc.

Additionally, there's lots and lots and lots of good software available on Cydia that Apple refuses to sell.

Apple's closed system does not meet the needs (and especially, the desires) of folks who use any of this software.
  • Reply 100 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

This is a personal request, though, because I just don't need their crappy Weather app, Voice Memos, Stocks, or even YouTube for that matter. I'm sure there's a reason we're required to keep these, but what is it?

Apple will not allow a user to ruin their User Experience. It is for your own good.