PixelMator vs Photoshop

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just discovered Pixelmator on Apple's site :

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ixelmator.html

so what you guys think about it, compared to the ugly fat monster we call "Photoshop" (whatever the version number) ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

I just discovered Pixelmator on Apple's site :

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ixelmator.html

so what you guys think about it, compared to the ugly fat monster we call "Photoshop" (whatever the version number) ?

Pixelmator needs to be compared to Photoshop Elements not the full version of Photoshop...

Between iPhoto, GIMP, and Graphic Converter, I am all set for my needs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    If you're one of the people that only uses say 20% of what Photoshop can do Pixelmator is the ideal product for you.

It doesn't do CMYK separations and other esoteric stuff that PS does but when it comes to editing it's powerful and is updated constantly. All 1.x updates are free and I tell you the current 1.5.x is a whole lot better than the 1.0 version that initially shipped.

The dev team really works hard on this app. I've purchased 3 licenses so far (most at discount) and i'm eager to learn more about it but I just haven't been able to go through the tutorials as fast as i'd like to.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    The Pixelmator tutorials are really great. They show you lots of techniques for doing cool stuff, even with it's relatively limited feature-set.

Also you can use all the Core-Image filters (which are hardware accelerated) for enhancing photos or artwork.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    While I love the pixelmator UI and have a full license, I consistently find that its performance is just not on par with photoshop. I do lots of work editing figures for scientific articles which can be quite large files. Photoshop always handles these gracefully and quick enough, whereas pixelmator often stutters and grinds to a halt on these same files. One other deal breaker is that pixelmator doesn't offer me the option to import and rasterize vector pdf files at the resolutions i need.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

One other deal breaker is that pixelmator doesn't offer me the option to import and rasterize vector pdf files at the resolutions i need.

Maybe Pixelmator can't, but Preview can! Simply open up the pdf you wish to convert, crop to taste (if desired), then save as an image file and select your resolution. Easy. I've also had to do this when wanting to put graphs from scientific journal articles into a presentation.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Maybe Pixelmator can't, but Preview can! Simply open up the pdf you wish to convert, crop to taste (if desired), then save as an image file and select your resolution. Easy. I've also had to do this when wanting to put graphs from scientific journal articles into a presentation.

Didn't know that preview can do that, thanks for the tip!