Purported photos of Apple's multitouch 'Magic Trackpad' leaked

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Photos of a new wireless multitouch "Magic Trackpad" input device -- an unannounced product rumored for months -- leaked Monday before Apple's WWDC 2010 keynote.

Engadget editor Joshua Topolsky revealed pictures of the device, which shares a similar design with Apple's wireless Bluetooth keyboard. The device appears to offer a large, multitouch input surface for Mac hardware.

"What we appear to be looking at is a brand new input device that Apple has dreamed up which connects to desktops (and laptops, if you like) via Bluetooth, much like the Apple Keyboard," Topolsky wrote. "If you take what you see in the photos at face value, it would seem that the folks in Cupertino are making a play for finger-based input in a big way -- taking the work they've done on Mac laptops and the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, and translating it to the desktop realm."

The images also came with a tip that the device would support handwriting recognition, along with "every feature you can find on a Magic Mouse (and possibly features of a MacBook Pro trackpad)." The information reportedly came from a person who claimed to be personally testing it.

The pictures would seem to suggest that the hardware, first predicted by Daring Fireball's John Gruber last October, could be announced by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs at today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.

The product name may already be known, too, as Apple filed a trademark for ownership of the name "Magic Trackpad" in February That naming corresponds with Apple's Magic Mouse, a multitouch device introduced by Apple last fall. The entire surface of the Magic Mouse can track independent fingers for activities like scrolling and zooming, much like an iPhone or iPod touch.

The multi-touch trackpad was first introduced to the MacBook Air family of notebooks, though it was later brought to the MacBook Pro and MacBook line of portable computers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    <snip />

unecessary comment removed
  • Reply 2 of 101
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post

Why is the apple logo stretched in the 2nd picture? That doesn't sit too well with me.

Because it's being viewed at an angle.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

photos of a new wireless multitouch "magic trackpad" input device -- an unannounced product rumored for months -- allegedly leaked monday before apple's wwdc 2010 keynote.

Engadget editor joshua topolsky revealed pictures of the device, which shares a similar design with apple's wireless bluetooth keyboard. The device appears to offer a large, multitouch input surface for mac hardware.

"what we appear to be looking at is a brand new input device that apple has dreamed up which connects to desktops (and laptops, if you like) via bluetooth, much like the apple keyboard," topolsky wrote. "if you take what you see in the photos at face value, it would seem that the folks in cupertino are making a play for finger-based input in a big way -- taking the work they've done on mac laptops and the iphone, ipod touch, and ipad, and translating it to the desktop realm."

the images also came with a tip that the device would support handwriting recognition, along with "every feature you can find on a magic mouse (and possibly features of a macbook pro trackpad)." the information reportedly came from a person who claimed to be personally testing it.

The pictures would seem to suggest that the hardware, first predicted by daring fireball's john gruber last october, could be announced by apple chief executive steve jobs at today's worldwide developers conference keynote.

The product name may already be known, too, as apple filed a trademark for ownership of the name "magic trackpad" in february that naming corresponds with apple's magic mouse, a multitouch device introduced by apple last fall. The entire surface of the magic mouse can track independent fingers for activities like scrolling and zooming, much like an iphone or ipod touch.

The multi-touch trackpad was first introduced to the macbook air family of notebooks, though it was later brought to the macbook pro and macbook line of portable computers.

first!
  • Reply 4 of 101
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johngruber View Post

first!

too slow
  • Reply 5 of 101
    jpklockjpklock Posts: 25member
    I'm eager to know how big this device it... It might replace my ($300) wireless bluetooth tablet, for a lot less cash (I'm a teacher, and use the tablet as an input device while walking around the room-- MacOS supports handwriting recognition, so it's a great tool for making notes that the whole class can see, without having to stand at the board...)
  • Reply 6 of 101
    raymccraeraymccrae Posts: 17member
    Seriously Apple, what's up with you lately? You've been leaking secrets like a sieve. Time to put the fear of God back into your suppliers.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    They should have incorporated a screen..
  • Reply 8 of 101
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    I'd like to see this in action if it's real. First non-iDevice to hit prior to Apple's latest keynotes in a while.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    rod76rod76 Posts: 21member
    Can't wait to pre-order this if its real. I can't see myself using this as a mouse replacement, but I can see this being a great tool to augment my Magic Mouse.

Even with BetterTouchTool there are some things I'd like to split between two devices for specific functions. There are just certain gestures that BetterTouchTool has a hard time with and there are a lot of false positives. This (alleged) touch pad would completely alleviate that.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Looks real and good. I like what my trackpad on my MacBook Air can do. It could actually replace a mouse for all the productivity things. This would streamline the input for laptops, stand alones - and iMobiles. I am looking forward to trying one of those!
  • Reply 11 of 101
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    This is what I need to replace my old MBP. Going with a iMac or Mac Mini for the office, but can't deal with the Bamboo(zle) pad, and I am not going back to a mouse!
  • Reply 12 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpklock View Post

I'm eager to know how big this device it... It might replace my ($300) wireless bluetooth tablet, for a lot less cash (I'm a teacher, and use the tablet as an input device while walking around the room-- MacOS supports handwriting recognition, so it's a great tool for making notes that the whole class can see, without having to stand at the board...)

I don't think it's much bigger than ~4'' in diagonal. This would make sense if it is aimed to replace the mouse in the long run.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    If it can somehow simulate a three-button mouse (middle in addition to left and right clicks), I'm there!

Nice clean Ive design! Clever, making the battery compartment the tilting prop!
  • Reply 14 of 101
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Am I the only one feeling sorry for Steve here? It's like when he had to introduce the unibody MacBooks and everybody knew about them already. The guy likes to make a show out of these keynotes, but with all those leaks, there isn't much to work with.

I love rumours & speculation, however the leaks are taking the fun out of it.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    onepotatoonepotato Posts: 95member
    I hope it comes in a wired version. I hate having to replace batteries every couple of weeks.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I guess if it's real, I'd like to hear their use case. I always figured that the trackpad idea was the best that could be done with the constraints of a notebook computer. But once you can have a detached device, it seems that a more conventional mouse is a lot more efficient. Magic Mouse seems to offer the best of both worlds, the control of a regular mouse with multitouch gestures of Apple's trackpad.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Looks like Apple is finally going to let me replace the Fingerworks iGesture pad I've had for the last few years. Thank you! Well, as long as it isn't overpriced like all Apple input devices seem to be...
  • Reply 18 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Am I the only one feeling sorry for Steve here? It's like when he had to introduce the unibody MacBooks and everybody knew about them already. The guy likes to make a show out of these keynotes, but with all those leaks, there isn't much to work with.

I love rumours & speculation, however the leaks are taking the fun out of it.

Just don't check the forums close to a keynote ...
  • Reply 19 of 101
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Apple may as well just set up a webcam in their labs and save everyone the trouble.

As for a trackpad for desktops, what a ridiculous idea. Trackpads are HORRIBLE compromises for portable computers - the best of a very bad job etc. A mouse blows a trackpad away in every possible way every single time, and no I don't care about pinching/zooming/twiddling when I'm in 3D Studio Max or Photoshop.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I'll bite. Other then a Apple version of a wacom tablet, who in hell would carry it around instead of the mouse that comes with each unit?

I don't understand (and think it's a hoax).

I've got most of Apple's toys, and can see a use for those I have, not to mention I'm the President of the local MUG, and this just doesn't make sense to me. I can't think of anything I use or see, that this device would replace.

I do not like track pads anyway, so even if they came out with a portable track pad (for those who'd want it - instead of the mouse the have), I would not get one.

As for it being the "Surprise" at WWDC, damn I hope not, but I must admit, secrets seem to be something Apple doesn't have right now.

Hey maybe this was leak to throw us off-track from the REAL surprise

Skip