Purported photos of Apple's multitouch 'Magic Trackpad' leaked

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    The WWDC keynote by a thousand cuts.......:

PS: Very cool product. More $$ out the window.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    allbrainallbrain Posts: 61member
    I like the rumour going around that something like this would be used for the iPad (it feels weird when I pair a keyboard, use that and then still have to prod the screen to make things happen, maybe it's just me). Or even better a control for the rumoured new Apple TV!

I guess in terms of dimensions, if this thing is real it would be the same depth as the current wireless keyboard, so the two look nice and pretty next to each other. Quite a good idea actually, because rather than combining both items into one piece of hardware left and right handers can move things around as they want.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    core2core2 Posts: 49member
    I wonder if they are intentional leaks ( not the iPhone but the other stuff). If he has to talk about all of this, Safari 5, Xcode 4, new iPhone, new apple TV, new iTunes , new Mobile Me, Jobs would be there for days. Maybe some of this stuff is being leaked intentionally to, A - get the buzz going, and B - allow him not to have to spend alot of time on all these products during the keynote, I don't think I remember one where Jobs has had so much new stuff to talk about (if all the chatter is true that is).

It could also be a strategy to keep the forums buzzing while they slip something completely different under the radar.

Just sayin... I can't think they would be this porous without some of it being on purpose..
  • Reply 24 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johngruber View Post

first!

Welcome to my ignore list. FIRST person ever to earn that honor on this forum. Guess you actually really were first at something. LOL.

Re: the actual device: I WANT THIS. I prefer the MBP trackpad to a mouse any day.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllBrain View Post

I like the rumour going around that something like this would be used for the iPad (it feels weird when I pair a keyboard, use that and then still have to prod the screen to make things happen, maybe it's just me). Or even better a control for the rumoured new Apple TV!

I guess in terms of dimensions, if this thing is real it would be the same depth as the current wireless keyboard, so the two look nice and pretty next to each other. Quite a good idea actually, because rather than combining both items into one piece of hardware left and right handers can move things around as they want.

In another forum it was suggested that this IS the new Apple TV. Although, there is a clear lack of an appleTV logo. - But it's a funny idea!

Anyway, I find it weird that this should be for the iPad - isn't that touchy enough?
  • Reply 26 of 101
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    After the iPad keyboard, not a chance. The keyboard needs too much work. The biggest issue I have is if you don't hit the keyboard with the fleshy part of your finger, there's no response. Too slow as well. For an iPhone it's great, for the iPad, marginal at best, for my main Mac, not a chance.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Looks interesting! I just wish some of these secret products did not slip out right before Steve Job's announcements. I like the "surprise factor."
  • Reply 28 of 101
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Are there any utilities out there to make a Touch or iPhone a trackpad? That would seem like a very useful utility - add in some way for apps to put buttons on the display and I think you'd have something pretty spiffy. If Apple wanted to get cute, they could make a library to do it at the OS level.

I've always been a trackball person, but multi-finger gestures are pretty nice. I'd be willing to give a desk based trackpad a try to see how the ergonomics work compared to a trackball.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post

They should have incorporated a screen..

Wouldn't it be an iPad at that point?
  • Reply 30 of 101
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    This is nice and all... Handy, even... but it looks like it's constructed with no physical click mechanism... which means the only option is touch-to-click. A pure touch trackpad? I don't like it. Touch-to-click generates too many errors for me. I hope it's mechanical or pressure sensitive for clicking.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I guess if it's real, I'd like to hear their use case. I always figured that the trackpad idea was the best that could be done with the constraints of a notebook computer. But once you can have a detached device, it seems that a more conventional mouse is a lot more efficient. Magic Mouse seems to offer the best of both worlds, the control of a regular mouse with multitouch gestures of Apple's trackpad.

My thoughts exactly.

Except when you are sitting on a couch and the screen is your tv...
  • Reply 32 of 101
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

In another forum it was suggested that this IS the new Apple TV. Although, there is a clear lack of an appleTV logo. - But it's a funny idea!

Anyway, I find it weird that this should be for the iPad - isn't that touchy enough?

Got a link?

• Reply 33 of 101
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Got a link?

Yes, but be aware, it's a German forum:

http://maccommunity.de/beitrag/engad...kpad-t843.html
  • Reply 34 of 101
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johngruber View Post

first!

2005 called, they want their post back...
  • Reply 35 of 101
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Because it's being viewed at an angle.

Oh snap! Did you snap your fingers and snake you neck when you said that? Did I read some attitude in them words?

"IT WAS VIEWED AT AN ANGLE". OHHHHHHHH.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    If this is real I can't wait to see some new applications suited for it... Other than the familiar stuff.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Except when you are sitting on a couch and the screen is your tv...

Pair that thought with the rumor of an HDMI-featuring Mac Mini and... bingo.

I hope this thing can actually "snap" onto the wireless keyboard in that case, making them one big block.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Fake. Look at the second image: this would never be Apple design. DIfferent parts even look different. Not possible in the era of Apple unibody design.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    daemonkdaemonk Posts: 49member
    Looks like one heck of a universal remote. Just a slate with no pre-defined UI.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I've been waiting for this product for years. The question is will Apple position it as the default for new iMac purchases (like the number pad free keyboard was) or is this an optional extra?