Full interview of Apple's Steve Jobs at D8 posted online

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Before Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs takes the stage today in San Francisco, Calif., at the Worldwide Developers Conference, readers can watch his lengthy interview from last week's D8 conference in its entirety.

The conversation lead by Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher of The Wall Street Journal took place a week ago, and spanned more than an hour and a half. Jobs spoke candidly on the lost prototype iPhone obtained by Gizmodo, on his company's rejection of Adobe Flash from the iPhone OS, and the controversy over a number of suicides at manufacturing partner Foxconn's facility in Shenzhen, China.

A great deal of the conversation focused on Apple's newly released iPad, which Jobs said signals the start of an "uncomfortable" transition to the post-PC era. The chief executive said he believes the transition away from the traditional PC as we know it is inevitable, but it's a question of how long that change will take.

"The transformation of the PC to new form factors like the tablet is going to make some people uneasy because the PC has taken us a long ways," Jobs said. "The PC is brilliant... and we like to talk about the post-PC era, but it's uncomfortable."

Jobs also said that he views the Apple TV as a hobby because there isn't a viable market for set top boxes, he admitted there could be an advantage to a multi-carrier U.S. iPhone, and revealed that Apple made changes to its iPhone software development kit to protect user privacy.

The video can be seen in at the D8 Conference website, or embedded in its entirety below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    erybovicerybovic Posts: 37member
    Was looking for this all over the place.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Hmmm. All I see is a broken link on my iPhone. This video must be a (gasp) flash video.

Guess I'll need a real Mac to watch Steve Jobs talk about Flash.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I know, flash is bad. Bad Flash!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Was looking for this all over the place.

I don't know if this is a problem with the site or a bug in iPad's Safari, but after watching about 15 mins of any video on there, it reloads the page and the video starts from the beginning. Obviously you can scrub to the last place, but it's a little annoying.

It doesn't do it on my Mac, so wonder if it's a memory thing. Anyone else had this? It only occurs on long clips, not the 6 minute ones. I was watching the 2005 interview with Jobs and it happened twice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Hmmm. All I see is a broken link on my iPhone. This video must be a (gasp) flash video.

Guess I'll need a real Mac to watch Steve Jobs talk about Flash.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I know, flash is bad. Bad Flash!

No, all the videos work on the iPad and iPhone... aside from the problem I just mentioned.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I wonder if it will be on iTunes. I downloaded the last All Things Digital he attended.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

A great deal of the conversation focused on Apple's newly released iPad, which Jobs said signals the start of an "uncomfortable" transition to the post-PC era. The chief executive said he believes the transition away from the traditional PC as we know it is inevitable, but it's a question of how long that change will take.

"The transformation of the PC to new form factors like the tablet is going to make some people uneasy because the PC has taken us a long ways," Jobs said. "The PC is brilliant... and we like to talk about the post-PC era, but it's uncomfortable."

If Steve is going to forsake the personal computer, computer using people are going to forsake him.

Microsoft and Adobe would be very happy to fill the gap of his niche market share.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

If Steve is going to forsake the personal computer, computer using people are going to forsake him.

Microsoft and Adobe would be very happy to fill the gap of his niche market share.

Forsake is a bit harsh. Apple is going to build out where the market is leading them. If the iPad was an AppleTV type flop they woundn't emphasis it at all.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Apple won't forsake its desktops and laptops until customers forsake the products and the company no longer makes enough money on them.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Steve's sex life is apparently "pretty good these days." (27:54)

Then Steve asks: "how's yours?"

Walt's reply: "[mine is] great, thanks for asking."

Kara's: "Don't ask."

• Reply 9 of 34
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Great interview. It really shows a very personal side of Steve. I thought it was fun to see how he swiveled his chair like a little kid
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Apple won't forsake its desktops and laptops until customers forsake the products and the company no longer makes enough money on them.

Bull, Apple intentionally removed all but one of it's popular MacBook models for a line of iPads.

You don't do that to your product line unless you intend to eliminate them.

Steve is taking a huge risk, he should never have forced the MacBook buying crowd into choosing between a computer dependent/extension iPad and a Windows 7 laptop. That's the educational/early learner market.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Really enjoyed the insights from Steve Jobs about the origination of the iPad. Would love to hear more of that stuff out of Apple. I can only imagine which products almost made it to market, but never did.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Bull, Apple intentionally removed all but one of it's MacBook models for a line of iPads.

Personally I disagree. If your basic user is going to only surf the web and do email and upload pictures to Facebook, you don't need three models of entry level laptops (MacBooks). If you want to do a little more like video editing you get a MacBook Pro starting at 1199.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

Bull, Apple intentionally removed all but one of it's MacBook models for a line of iPads.

More bull, there has only been a single macbook (non "pro") for over 3 years, more if you discount the "blackbook".
  • Reply 14 of 34
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    What a great interview. Let all remaining doubts be put to rest; Steve is back!
  • Reply 15 of 34
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    I guess WSJ isn't about to stop using Flash for their videos.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Steve is taking a huge risk, he should never have forced the MacBook buying crowd into choosing between a iPad and a Windows 7 laptop.

I'm apart of the Macbook buying crowd, why did I just buy 2 iPads and a Macbook Pro? Windows 7? lol, hilarious.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

2 million + says you're not spot on.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

2 million + says you're not spot on.

I'll take your 2 million plus iPads, and add Mac sales that are still rising after over 2 years of constant increases in sales.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm apart of the Macbook buying crowd, why did I just buy 2 iPads and a Macbook Pro? Windows 7? lol, hilarious.

Someone who has enough money to buy two iPads and a MacBook Pro is certainly not in the MacBook market. lol, stupid.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    David Roth (1:23:15) asked Steve about severe dropped calls on AT&T in Houston. Sad. Steve should just sign Verizon IMHO.

Don MacAskill of Smugmug (1:21:25) asked why iPad is tethered to his PC. Steve didn't really address the issue properly, because IMHO Don was targeting Steve's lucrative Mac-centric business model.