AT&T updates iPhone upgrade dates for more customers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee," AT&T's message to eligible iPhone owners reads.

Frack - I wish they would do this here in Belgium too. I will have to shell out about 650? for the new iPhone. And pay 15? a month for a meagre 200MB data plan
  • Reply 22 of 52
    onlyshawnonlyshawn Posts: 14member
    huh; mine says:

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee." (emphasis added)

Pretty sweet, wonder if that's because I'm a "corporate" customer--signed up through my university on the employee plans (I was on a fellowship, so I was actually getting a paycheck from the university, not sure if it would work for regular university students). Of course, I'd gladly pay the $18, but not having to is even better.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    coldpizzacoldpizza Posts: 15member
    Sorry newbie question. I'm not eligible until next February so I'd have to buy the phone at full price. But my girlfriend is eligible, so couldn't I just buy the phone under her number and then use it for myself?

And when they say subsidized does that mean the phone is $100 less? $200 less? Free?
  • Reply 24 of 52
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Don't forget the new, higher data pricing.

Mine will be lower. And I am a heavy user
  • Reply 25 of 52
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldpizza View Post

Sorry newbie question. I'm not eligible until next February so I'd have to buy the phone at full price. But my girlfriend is eligible, so couldn't I just buy the phone under her number and then use it for myself?

And when they say subsidized does that mean the phone is $100 less? $200 less? Free?

You should probably take that up with her, not us.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnlyShawn View Post

huh; mine says:

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee." (emphasis added)

Pretty sweet, wonder if that's because I'm a "corporate" customer--signed up through my university on the employee plans (I was on a fellowship, so I was actually getting a paycheck from the university, not sure if it would work for regular university students). Of course, I'd gladly pay the $18, but not having to is even better.

Mine says the same thing, but I switched to AT&T in October 2008 when I got the iPhone 3G. Although, I did also call up customer service when I got my first bill and asked them to waive the $36 initial activation fee, and they did. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
  • Reply 27 of 52
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I checked last week via the "eligibility" link on Apple's iPhone webpage and found I would have to pay the full unsubsidized price to replace my 3G. Checked again last night and found I now qualify for the subsidized price--at least for the only upgrade available at that time: the 3Gs.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    dgkanterdgkanter Posts: 10member
    In my case, while the subsidized upgrade offer became available in mid-May (about 18 months into my contract), an on-line query at the AT&T Web site at that time cited the $18 upgrade fee. Today I used the *639# call on my iPhone and the text message I got back said the upgrade was available, but with the upgrade fee waived. A re-check on-line still said that the fee would apply. I spoke to Customer Support, reported the inconsistency, and was told that, indeed, in my case the upgrade would be waived.) So if you should do an upgrade, I’d suggest you check first and ensure whether the fee would be waived—and have that noted in your record if told it would be waived.

And in response to OnlyShawn's wonder (message #23), I’m neither a corporate nor a high-payment customer. (I’ve paid just the minimum service amount since my contract began.)
  • Reply 29 of 52
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Mine's up in mid-October. Message said they'd waive the $18 upgrade fee.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:

Yes, you can switch phones. Neither Apple nor AT&T care who uses which. Just make sure you treat her well so you don't have an ugly custody fight down the road.

The price is about doubled: $199 becomes $399, something like that. I'm sure others can correct me and be more accurate.

Welcome, newbie!
  • Reply 31 of 52
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Any change you make to your cell plan will require you to sign a new 2 year contract. It's a standard practice with cell providers in the US.

If you opt to upgrade early, you will get a new contract from the day you sign it, going forward for 2 years from the new signing date.

You can retain your unlimited data plan on your new phone. If you ever lapse in your payments to the point that you lose your plan, or opt to move to another plan, you would most likely not be able to get the unlimited plan back.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    ..."You may qualify on /2/17/11" ... bastards! "We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2 yr commitment and a 18 dollar fee..." blah blah blah

anyone know what the 'discount' was last time around?
  • Reply 33 of 52
    coldpizzacoldpizza Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You should probably take that up with her, not us.

I meant use her number when I buy the phone since she is eligible. Then I would put my SIM card in it of course.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Don't forget the new, higher data pricing.

Not here....I have 3 iphones on my account now...all will go down to the $15 plan. That'll save me $45 a month. SWEET!
  • Reply 35 of 52
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

I meant use her number when I buy the phone since she is eligible. Then I would put my SIM card in it of course.

They have no problems doing that. I've had them do that for just about every upgrade beyond my first iPhone. Just tell them which number you want to go to which person and they'll do the rest.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I had checked my account just Friday and no joy.

Today, I can upgrade! Weeeeeeee!
  • Reply 37 of 52
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Not here....I have 3 iphones on my account now...all will go down to the $15 plan. That'll save me $45 a month. SWEET!

Here either. I will be seriously considering buying an iPhone for the first time because of the new data rate plans.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    but am eligible now, but the phone probably wont be in the stores until my original day anyways

Interesting tho, is that you can still access to order an iPhone on Apple's site. I thought it would have been down today.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I found some sunglasses in a box. When I put them on the text message from AT&T reads differently.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    This 'acceleration' leads me to believe that AT&T expects another US carrier to have the iPhone within the next 12 months.