AT&T updates iPhone upgrade dates for more customers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I found some sunglasses in a box. When I put them on the text message from AT&T reads differently.

Blech. I mean, seriously. I've been eligible for "free" (for $18) upgrade to an iPhone for years now. So nothing seems to have changed, except that I might actually take them up on it now.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    dixondixon Posts: 7member
    I just checked my account. My wife's line which is the primary line our family account is the only iphone on my 4 line account that qualifies for an upgrade and she got her iPhone a week after my other 3 lines!

I called AT&T about this. Their rep could not explain to me why other than there are many things that go into the upgrade eligibility calculation, including payment history, last upgrade date, amount spent, etc." I believe the fact that her account is the master line is why she is upgrade eligible now whil my other lines are not until February!!!

I changed my line to the master account. So, we'll see what happens at the end of the month when the iPhone comes out. I'm not optomistic in the short run, but it might be worth waiting a couple of months to see if my line becomes upgrade eligible.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Blech. I mean, seriously. I've been eligible for "free" (for $18) upgrade to an iPhone for years now. So nothing seems to have changed, except that I might actually take them up on it now.

When was the last time you bought an iPhone? A week ago I had to wait until November to upgrade my 3GS at a subsidized price.

PS: No one gets the movie referece from my previous post?
  • Reply 44 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Yep, my account was changed to reflect immediate availability. Sweet. Might get one sooner than I thought.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

When was the last time you bought an iPhone? A week ago I had to wait until November to upgrade my 3GS at a subsidized price.

Never, but I have checked previously for upgrade availability. We're not getting new phones very often, so we're eligible pretty much whenever we want to take advantage of that deal.

Quote:

PS: No one gets the movie referece from my previous post?

Nope. I guess you'll have to help us out with that.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Wow, I just checked a couple days ago, and it said 6/29/10- which was 1 year from when I ordered my 3GS. Just checked now, and it says I am good to go. I am more curious as to when 0S4 hits.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldpizza View Post

I meant use her number when I buy the phone since she is eligible. Then I would put my SIM card in it of course.

I'm in the exact same boat. However the new iPhone has a micro sim.....
  • Reply 48 of 52
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I got my 3GS in sept and I can upgrade. 64gb here I come!

Not really.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Well, I'm really upset with AT&T. Like many of you, I ordered my 3GS on June 8th, 2009. And I'm not eligible until 2/21/2011. I can't get a straight answer from AT&T why I can't upgrade until eight months later than many others who purchased their 3GS on the same day I did.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cenotaph View Post

Well, I'm really upset with AT&T. Like many of you, I ordered my 3GS on June 8th, 2009. And I'm not eligible until 2/21/2011. I can't get a straight answer from AT&T why I can't upgrade until eight months later than many others who purchased their 3GS on the same day I did.

Did your account ever had to be reactivated from a late payment for whatever reason?

From everything I've read, if you bought an iPhone in 2010 you are eligible for the upgrade pricing. I have a feeling you'll be fine. Have you gone into a store and spoke with a manager?

AT&T has even taken it a step further by offering upgrades to those that recently bought an iPhone before 2010.
    Sounds to me like AT&T might be losing their contract within the year. Then again, AT&T loses nothing and has much to gain by getting everyone on the new $325 ETF plan.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:

Did your account ever had to be reactivated from a late payment for whatever reason?

No. Never missed an auto-pay payment. The only thing that has happened is I exchanged my 3GS last July (one month after receiving) at an Apple store when the original 3GS stopped tracking finger movements on the screen.

Quote:

From everything I've read, if you bought an iPhone in 2010 you are eligible for the upgrade pricing. I have a feeling you'll be fine. Have you gone into a store and spoke with a manager?

2010? I purchased my 3GS 8 June 2009.

No. Just did the 639 thing, then sent a follow-up email to AT&T customer service and got back a form letter response of "you're not eligible until 2/2011" without any explanation of why.

This is why I'm so upset. Never a late payment. Yet eight months delay on upgrade.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cenotaph View Post

Like many of you, I ordered my 3GS on June 8th, 2009. And I'm not eligible until 2/21/2011. I can't get a straight answer from AT&T why I can't upgrade until eight months later than many others who purchased their 3GS on the same day I did.

I'm in the exact same boat (with the same upgrade eligibility date), and it is quite irritating. I called AT&T last night just to try and understand the rationale behind why some customers who purchased the 3GS on launch day are now eligible for the full upgrade price, while others who did the exact same thing are not. Naturally, the supervisor on the other end of the phone denied this was going on and offered zero insight. With four lines on the account, our monthly bill works out to be more than $150 a month, which has never gone unpaid. I'm honestly thinking that the fact I'm receiving a whopping 10 percent discount on the monthly bill due to my employer's relationship with AT&T has something to do with it, as that's a common thread that I'm seeing among 3GS early adopters who are now ineligible for upgrades.

The unhelpful supervisor did say something about AT&T opening eligibility to more customers on the iPhone 4 ship/launch day, June 24. (He was right about pre-orders going live around 4:00am PDT, so this might be somewhat valid.) So I guess we're just stuck checking back on that day.