Apple unveils redesigned, thinner iPhone 4 with two cameras

Comments

• Reply 41 of 507
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Anyway... Nice job Apple, though a larger display would have been better.

Its a phone the screen is the right size, if you want it bigger get an iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 507
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Free thought yes. Free speaking? Nope. He wants to speak, he can do it at his own show.

Whoa there! It's not like the guy was massively disruptive or anything. There was a down period in the demo. Also, the audience laughed with him.

Would you kick out the woman that shouted out "I love you Steve"?
  • Reply 43 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

"When Jobs turned to Scott Forstall, senior vice president for iPhone software, for ideas, someone in the audience suggested they try the Verizon network."

I would have paid to hear that

It was a Wi-Fi problem. That comment made no sense.

Verizon would have been worse...Verizon max 3.1MB, slower than Wifi, slower than AT&T (7.2MB).
  • Reply 44 of 507
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Apple's US page hasn't updated yet... Japan is up and running...

http://www.apple.com/jp/iphone/
  • Reply 45 of 507
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    All fantastic, except the memory. 64GB would have been nice.
  • Reply 46 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple's US page hasn't updated yet... Japan is up and running...

http://www.apple.com/jp/iphone/

Apple US site updated!
  • Reply 47 of 507
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It looks great.

I wonder if the gyro will be used to as much advantage as the compass and accelerometer? It looks totally cool.

I can't even imagine the cool stuff that will use the gyro at this point... an altimiter would've been a nice addition also, but I guess GPS data fills in there.
  • Reply 48 of 507
    a2gsga2gsg Posts: 26member
    at 1:49 it was stated that the iphone 4 would have "quad band HSDPA/HSUPA 7.2/5.8 up. 802.11 n WiFi", but given that the extant iphone supports TRI BAND UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz); the question is by going from TRI to QUAD, what's the new/additional BAND?

the answer from the just this moment updated iphone 4 tech specs at http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html: 900MHZ (so that rules out north america t-mobile at 1700MHz):

* UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

* GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

* 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)

* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology

vs 3GS:

* UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

* GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

* Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)

* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology
  • Reply 49 of 507
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

It was a Wi-Fi problem. That comment made no sense.

Verizon would have been worse...Verizon max 3.1MB, slower than Wifi, slower than AT&T (7.2MB).

In a way it does. If I read the live blogs right, the last thing he tried was to grab an AT&T 3G signal on his backup phone. Which proceeded to give him an error that it couldn't find a network signal. Hence the Verizon joke.
  • Reply 50 of 507
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Video calling now a reality...wow FaceTime

I couldn't tell from the live blogging coverage but they said iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 no set up.

What identification do you use for calling since it is wifi only? I'm sure mobile me or Aol, standard iChat users but what is the numeric key pad for if it is wifi only?
  • Reply 51 of 507
    It's pretty good. I don't think it' that far advance that other phones coming out. But I'm sold, it IS gonna be the best phone available when it does come out. I'm grabbing one asap.

Take that BBM!
  • Reply 52 of 507
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I would have kicked out the person who yelled that out and then banned who he is with.

Why in the world would you have done that to someone who is speaking the truth?
  • Reply 53 of 507
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I can't even imagine the cool stuff that will use the gyro at this point... an altimiter would've been a nice addition also, but I guess GPS data fills in there.

I wish they would throw in an entire Kestrel 4500 weather meter.
  • Reply 54 of 507
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I am really excited about it -- if it was onsale today (instead of June 24), I would go get it now. rright now. Just ditch the meeting I have in 7 min and go.

but it isn't, so I'm gonna whine about my one complaint:

only 32G. I waited 2 years and only am getting 32G. The touch has had 64G for a year; I'd cheerfully pay an extra $50 for 64G.

(grumble, grumble)

You mean 64GB of storage, right? That's the only shortfall as far as I'm concerned, and it's probably the only reason I'll hold off upgrading until my contract is up in mid-October. They've been known to introduce mid-stream memory upgrades for some products. I can put more storage to immediate use.
  • Reply 55 of 507
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    The specs look impressive. I'll be pre-ordering on the 15th. The features I'm most likely to use will be the camera flash, the 720P video capability, and the multitasking while at the gym, when I get an SMS. My workout app currently requires me to relaunch it if I respond to an e-mail so that will be handy.

The current build doesn't have the Bing option, so I suppose that will be in the new developer build available today. I'll have to go download it just to see what other changes there are (and hopefully a fix for the 3G background feature missing).

I'm also liking the new slim factor. 9.3 mm thick which is really nice if you're like me and always just stuff it in your pocket.
  • Reply 56 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

In a way it does. If I read the live blogs right, the last thing he tried was to grab an AT&T 3G signal on his backup phone. Which proceeded to give him an error that it couldn't find a network signal. Hence the Verizon joke.

....and that's because there were a few thousand AT&T customers in one room.....and not a single Verizon one!
  • Reply 57 of 507
    londonlondon Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thinkB4Utalk View Post

sorry, but a 2-axis gyro plus a 3-axis accelerometer does not equal a 6-axis sensor package, as this article claimed. I develop flight software around these sensors everyday. I also develop iPhone apps (ShatterBall, BalloonMaker) and I was REALLY hoping for a 6 degree of freedom sensor package.

What is a 6-axis sensor package (i.e., what are the 6 axis, and why is that different/better than a 3-axis, XYZ sensor package)?
  • Reply 58 of 507
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

It's pretty good. I don't think it' that far advance that other phones coming out. But I'm sold, it IS gonna be the best phone available when it does come out. I'm grabbing one asap.

Take that BBM!

The gyro may be a significant differentiator. The screen too. It looked very good, and may well be the best cellphone screen now available.

Battery life and the thin profile? Best in breed, or just very, very good?

I thought the new phone looked very impressive.
  • Reply 59 of 507
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

You mean 64GB of storage, right? That's the only shortfall as far as I'm concerned, and it's probably the only reason I'll hold off upgrading until my contract is up in mid-October. They've been known to introduce mid-stream memory upgrades for some products. I can put more storage to immediate use.

I'm still struggling to hit 16 GB of usage on my 32 GB 3GS. I have a few thousand tunes, and 5 or 6 full length movies that I've encoded, but I still haven't quite hit 16 GB utilization yet.

In any case, I'm not going to wait. The other 16 GB should be plenty for video recording, which is all I'm really seeing as requiring much storage.
  • Reply 60 of 507
    awmawmawmawm Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I had a suspicion about the seams being for reception. It figures since IMHO Apple would not add such a visual break for the sake of design, so it had to have some kind of functional application for it. It's not their (current) design style.

Easy to say now...