Apple unveils redesigned, thinner iPhone 4 with two cameras

Comments

• Reply 61 of 507
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The gyroscope, overall thinness of the device, and using the casing as the antenna, it all seems to be what sets this phone apart, but the way Jobs described this thing talking about how nothing on the market comes close, that's laughable.

Look, it's got all the latest and greatest (like a high res screen, 720 HD video recording, a front facing camera) but the evo can be directly compared to this thing.

It really irritates me when someone like Jobs or Ballmer acts like people don't know what else is on the market when they say there's nothing like their product.

Overall, this is a good evolution of the iphone. Still not as revolutionary as the first though.

And if it's already been asked or commented down thread I'll edit this off again.
  • Reply 62 of 507
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

The gyro may be a significant differentiator. The screen too. It looked very good, and may well be the best cellphone screen now available.

Battery life and the thin profile? Best in breed, or just very, very good?

I thought the new phone looked very impressive.

Did anyone notice the blacks on the new display? Seemed quite a bit blacker than the 3GS. Very curious to see the first hands on for these, although hopefully I'll already have one in my hands by then..lol
  • Reply 63 of 507
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm ready to order nowwwww!!!!
  • Reply 64 of 507
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by London View Post

What is a 6-axis sensor package (i.e., what are the 6 axis, and why is that different/better than a 3-axis, XYZ sensor package)?

Could you, for example, construct a virtual room, and use a device so equipped to "look around" as though one were in the room and peering through a picture frame? Could you pan around Google Streetview in a similar manner?

This gyro sounds VERY interesting, and the demo looked great, but I really don't understand it or the implications of its inclusion.
  • Reply 65 of 507
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

OH, BTW... for those naysayers... It's too bad that the iPhone and the iPad don't have a "proper OS" that would allow the devices to be used for "content creation."

• Reply 66 of 507
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Did they say if you can iPhone video chat with someone that is using iChat on a laptop or iMac?
  • Reply 67 of 507
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... and where are all of those 'Apple would never design something that looks like that lost iPhone' naysayers from last month now?

Anyway... Nice job Apple, though a larger display would have been better.

they do have a larger display...it's called the iPad!
  • Reply 68 of 507
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I wanna know how much RAM it has. With the larger display, I don't want the iPhone 4 having page caching issues in Safari like the iPad with only 256MB RAM.
  • Reply 69 of 507
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

LOL Gyroscope. Nasa will soon be able to replace space shuttle avionics with an iPhone. Assuming there is an app for that.

or... more nefarious enterprises could make use of it
  • Reply 70 of 507
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Are you now suggesting that these other phone manufacturers are the game-changers?

Where Apple continue to excell is what Steve Jobs refer to as the meeting (or intersection) of "Technology and Liberal Arts" in the design and the conceptualization of Apple products, under the tutelage of Steve Jobs.

Achieving this requires subtlety and finesse, it requires a mindset the whole is not a simple summation of the parts (or as you love to call -- features). A flash of features with no unity is simply ostentatious.

Simplicity is virtue when the heart and soul of the creator comes forth.

You can experience this intersection of "Technology and Liberal Arts" if you are immersed in the Apple ecosystem. What is derided as the "walled garden" in the iOS ecosystem is actually one of the strengths of that ecosystem. The freedom from being exposed to limited risk of exposure to) spams and malwares encourages those who embrace the iOS ecosystem to venture. Thus, instead of being imprisoned, they discover new worlds beyond their horizon.

Sure there are limits, but any developer -- of any age and from all parts of the world -- with something to share will more than likely be allured by the vast target -- 100 million iOS devices.

CGC

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

To be fair, there are a few things that have been shown that the competitors have already done. What Apple has done is polished it up and better integrated it to the OS. Not to say the iPhone 4 (now that we finally know the name ) doesn't have great specs, but wasn't anything there that made me look at my current phone in disgust. Difference of opinions in the end.

I am interested in the gyroscope though. Would have loved to see a live video of that demo in action.

• Reply 71 of 507
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple's US page hasn't updated yet... Japan is up and running...

http://www.apple.com/jp/iphone/

the USA site is up and running now. Very psyched!!!
  • Reply 72 of 507
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

What is a 6-axis sensor package (i.e., what are the 6 axis, and why is that different/better than a 3-axis, XYZ sensor package)?

Well, the 4th axis is time, and the other two take you off into alternate realities...

This is how the RDF is generated. Now you know.
  • Reply 73 of 507
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    I want to know the amount of RAM too. I want 512, but since there was not mention of it, as there was no mention in the iPad intro, I'll bet it's exactly the same as the iPad - 256.

Hmmmmmmm........
  • Reply 74 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I am really excited about it -- if it was onsale today (instead of June 24), I would go get it now. rright now. Just ditch the meeting I have in 7 min and go.

but it isn't, so I'm gonna whine about my one complaint:

only 32G. I waited 2 years and only am getting 32G. The touch has had 64G for a year; I'd cheerfully pay an extra $50 for 64G.

(grumble, grumble)

The only problem is that an extra 32GB of flash storage would cost about $60 before markup. Flash memory isn't cheap and prices have actually been flat/slightly rising for some time now, after a steep decline last year.
  • Reply 75 of 507
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

Did they say if you can iPhone video chat with someone that is using iChat on a laptop or iMac?

And what about FaceTime conference calls?? Can you get multiple video feeds of each person in the call?? :-)
  • Reply 77 of 507
    Oh I'm impressed. I haven't seen the gyro yet. I'm very satisfied with the update. I wasn't impressed with the 3GS over the 3G, but I'm super impressed with the IP4 over the 3GS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

The gyro may be a significant differentiator. The screen too. It looked very good, and may well be the best cellphone screen now available.

Battery life and the thin profile? Best in breed, or just very, very good?

I thought the new phone looked very impressive.

• Reply 78 of 507
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

So it can work in outer space. I don't know good question. Maybe it provides more accuracy for gaming.
  • Reply 79 of 507
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The haters are steaming mad today.
  • Reply 80 of 507
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

I want to know the amount of RAM too. I want 512, but since there was not mention of it, as there was no mention in the iPad intro, I'll bet it's exactly the same as the iPad - 256.

Hmmmmmmm........

Bloggers are claiming it's been confirmed to have 512. I haven't seen anything official yet.