How to tell if you're eligible for AT&T's iPhone 4 upgrade pricing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Any AT&T customer whose upgrade date occurs before the end of 2010 will be eligible to buy Apple's new iPhone 4 at the $199 and $299 subsidized pricing up to six months early, with a new two-year contract.

The exclusive wireless carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. said that the important date for customers is their current "upgrade date" -- not when their contract expires. The distinction is better for customers, as most are upgrade-eligible before their contract is over.

"Any existing iPhone customer eligible for an upgrade between today and the end of this year will be eligible for our best pricing for iPhone 4, $199 and $299, with a two year term commitment," the company said Monday.

AT&T customers can verify their upgrade eligibility by going to att.com/iphone, or by dialing *639#. AT&T said its upgrade tools reflect the new timeframe. The new iPhone goes on sale June 24 for $299 for 32GB and $199 for 16GB, and preorders will be taken on June 15.

"With our early upgrade policy and new, more affordable wireless data plans, we're expanding the market for iPhone 4," AT&T said. "We're making our best pricing immediately available to current iPhone customers eligible for an upgrade anytime this year. And we created new, more affordable data plans so that more people could experience the benefits of the mobile Internet.

"Individual iPhone voice and data plans now start at just $54.99 per month (was previously $69.99) and FamilyTalk voice and data plans with two iPhones start at just $89.99 per month (was $119.99). Our data plans all include unlimited usage at more than 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots in the U.S."

Though U.S. iPhone customers must sign a two-year contract with AT&T in order to receive the iPhone at a subsidized price, the wireless carrier frequently offers faster upgrades for its highest paying customers. Those with more services and a higher monthly bill typically are not required to wait the full two years before they become eligible. AT&T previously revealed that generally speaking, customers who spend more than $99-a-month per line are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

"We want to help customers upgrade to a new device as quickly as possible ? exact timing can depend on several factors unique to each account (length of contract, payment history, etc.)," a company spokesperson said Monday.

No commitment pricing is also available for Apple's handsets. While they do not require a two-year term commitment, both voice and data service is necessary to buy an iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS.

Apple and AT&T's new pricing for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, without taxes and fees, is as follows:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I had confused Early Upgrade with Upgrade Eligible. Maybe buying it out of contract will be cheaper in the long run.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    Doesn't seem too bad. In my area we get pretty decent coverage. So for myself, it's a win win to upgrade from my 3G.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    I skipped the 3GS for this. My $299 is ready to go.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    You lucky Americans.

(fingers crossed for O2 UK too)
  • Reply 5 of 64
    cherrypopcherrypop Posts: 86member
    This is going to make ATT a whole new batch of angry customers. When this topic first came up a few weeks ago, eligibility, I knew ATT wasn't telling customers everything they needed to know about the upgrade pricing. We'll see how it all shakes out.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    I called ATT. I bought the 3Gs when it came out last June. They said that for $18 I can pay for an "early eligibilty" and receive the best pricing. So, when it comes out all I have to do is pay an extra $18 to move up my eligibility. I am sure this is across the board for everyone. I cannot believe Apple would risk sales when they only released the 3Gs a year ago and most of the customers are in this "boat." Hope this helps anyone who is in my situation.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    alex3917alex3917 Posts: 32member
    I called *369# and it told me that, "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee." However, I bought the 3GS the day it came out so I shouldn't be eligible to upgrade before the end of the year. What does this mean exactly, or is it just a mistake?
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alex3917 View Post

I called *369# and it told me that, "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee." However, I bought the 3GS the day it came out so I shouldn't be eligible to upgrade before the end of the year. What does this mean exactly, or is it just a mistake?

You "signed" a 2 year contract last year when you bought the 3Gs...so it would not be this year that you areeligible for the upgrade...
  • Reply 9 of 64
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfies167 View Post

I called ATT. I bought the 3Gs when it came out last June. They said that for $18 I can pay for an "early eligibilty" and receive the best pricing. So, when it comes out all I have to do is pay an extra $18 to move up my eligibility. I am sure this is across the board for everyone. I cannot believe Apple would risk sales when they only released the 3Gs a year ago and most of the customers are in this "boat." Hope this helps anyone who is in my situation.

I got four 3GS's last July on a plan that is like $200 a month and I can't upgrade until next March.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    alex3917alex3917 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

You "signed" a 2 year contract last year when you bought the 3Gs...so it would not be this year that you areeligible for the upgrade...

Right, that is why I am confused as to why it's telling me that I am eligible for an upgrade.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:

People who bought the 3GS on day 1 last year are not eligible for the full discount (16gb-$199) unless you're average bill is way over $100/month.

You signed up for 2-yr. ATT is moving up some people based on

1. if you spend more that $100/month/per phone on your bill

2. if you're original "upgrade" date was within the 2010 year.

Unfortunately I bought 3GS on day one and my upgrade date is 3/28/2011. So if I want it now i'll have to pay the special price $399-16gb. will probably do that since I have my 3GS sold for $100 anyway.

Just press *639# and it will tell you
  • Reply 12 of 64
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    I keep getting a "website down for maintenance" message when trying to log into my AT&T wireless account on their website....

I'm not too worried, the Mrs. and I are on "alternating" years, so I upgrade every year and pass last years model on to her. So far that's worked great, but with the mini-SIM in this year's model, I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that... We'll see.

UPDATE:

Just called that *639# number and got a message saying "as a valued customer I can be offered an upgrade with a new two year contract and waive the $18 upgrade fee" Now I just gotta figure out how to transfer my current SIM to the new mini-SIM.... will iTunes do that for me?
  • Reply 13 of 64
    donarbdonarb Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Read the above article again. It's not the contract expiration, it's the upgrade date (which is the contract expiration minus six months). Basically, what AT&T is doing is that if you have been under contract for at least a year, you can upgrade at the lowest price and sign a new 2 year contract.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:

Right, that is why I am confused as to why it's telling me that I am eligible for an upgrade.

you are eligible for the "Early Upgrade" not the New/Upgrade pricing. Look at the chart in the original article.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    This is the way I read it. I bought my phone launch day 09. I will be able to upgrade to the iPhone 4 at either $199 or $299, depending on storage wants. Add on top of that 18 bucks. I will also be able to grandfather my unlimited data plan. I am debating that since I use less than a gig a month.

I don't understand how some who bought on launch day 09 have an upgrade date of 2011.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    No offense, but anyone who bought the 3GS last year knew this was coming. Don't sign a 2 year contract and complain when you have to pay a higher price. You should be lucky ATT is letting people upgrade early. They obviously know that Verizon is coming to the game soon, and want to lock as many people in as possible.

ATT is subsidizing the phone. If you don't want to be locked in, pay the $600/700 unsubsidized price.

As for me, I'm looking forward to swapping out my 3G at the lowest price point.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    liljewliljew Posts: 2member
    I just joined at&t a month ago and got an iphone 3gs. Can i get the early upgrade??. Or do i have to be with them for a certain time to get the early upgrade??.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LocalMotion View Post

People who bought the 3GS on day 1 last year are not eligible for the full discount (16gb-$199) unless you're average bill is way over $100/month.

You signed up for 2-yr. ATT is moving up some people based on

1. if you spend more that $100/month/per phone on your bill

2. if you're original "upgrade" date was within the 2010 year.

Unfortunately I bought 3GS on day one and my upgrade date is 3/28/2011. So if I want it now i'll have to pay the special price $399-16gb. will probably do that since I have my 3GS sold for $100 anyway.

Just press *639# and it will tell you

I got my iphone 3GS in Sept 2009 and I can get the new iPhone 4 for the $18 fee.

10 months and my bill is only the base $70 with no texting or other crap.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

This is the way I read it. I bought my phone launch day 09. I will be able to upgrade to the iPhone 4 at either $199 or $299, depending on storage wants. Add on top of that 18 bucks. I will also be able to grandfather my unlimited data plan. I am debating that since I use less than a gig a month.

I don't understand how some who bought on launch day 09 have an upgrade date of 2011.

NOPE. If you bought on launch day 09, you signed a 2-yr contract.

1. If you've spent over $100/month on your phone bill it's possible it moved your upgrade date between 12-18 months. (most people spend less than $100 so won't have upgrade date til 2011)

2. if you're upgrade date was moved anywhere into 2010 you'll get the New/Upgrade pricing.

But most likely you won't be eligible for full New/Upgrade pricing on launch. Just "Early Upgrade" pricing.

Just press *639# and it will tell you.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I got my iphone 3GS in Sept 2009 and I can get the new iPhone 4 for the $18 fee.

10 months and my bill is only the base $70 with no texting or other crap.

Where does it say you're getting the full New/Upgrade pricing? Screenshot?

I'll bet you a beer that's not correct