How to tell if you're eligible for AT&T's iPhone 4 upgrade pricing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    kfscollkfscoll Posts: 4member
    To take advantage of the early upgrade ($399/$499) pricing, will we be able to pre-order/reserve the iPhone 4 on the web or will we have to visit an AT&T store?
  • Reply 22 of 64
    liljewliljew Posts: 2member
    I just joined at&t a month ago and got an iphone 3gs. Can i get the early upgrade??. Or do i have to be with them for a certain time to get the early upgrade??????????????????????????????????????????? ??????
  • Reply 23 of 64
    I bought a 3GS on August 1, 2009, and my current upgrade date is January 2, 2011. I don't know how they calculate that date, but it looks like I can't get the new model early at a discount -- if I want it now, I'll have to pay the $200 "early upgrade" premium.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    I just dialed to check and it said I could have an upgrade with a two year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. I bought my 3GS on July 7th last year.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    stlbluesfanstlbluesfan Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liljew View Post

I just joined at&t a month ago and got an iphone 3gs. Can i get the early upgrade??. Or do i have to be with them for a certain time to get the early upgrade??.

Is this a serious question?
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I just dialed to check and it said I could have an upgrade with a two year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. I bought my 3GS on July 7th last year.

What EXACTLY does the text message say?

Mine says

"A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 03/28/2011. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer."

And I bought mine on Launch weekend 2009
  • Reply 27 of 64
    stlbluesfanstlbluesfan Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LocalMotion View Post

NOPE. If you bought on launch day 09, you signed a 2-yr contract.

1. If you've spent over $100/month on your phone bill it's possible it moved your upgrade date between 12-18 months. (most people spend less than $100 so won't have upgrade date til 2011)

2. if you're upgrade date was moved anywhere into 2010 you'll get the New/Upgrade pricing.

But most likely you won't be eligible for full New/Upgrade pricing on launch. Just "Early Upgrade" pricing.

Just press *639# and it will tell you.

How is the "full" upgrade opportunity worded compared to "early?"

Mine says "... we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment..."
  • Reply 28 of 64
    rolegprolegp Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alex3917 View Post

I called *369# and it told me that, "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee." However, I bought the 3GS the day it came out so I shouldn't be eligible to upgrade before the end of the year. What does this mean exactly, or is it just a mistake?

If your message said that you are eligible for an upgrade that means you can get the new iPhone 4 with a new 2 year contract. You previous contract will become null and void. Oh you will pay $18.00 to do this.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    It is important to keep in mind that the amount of time since you signed your contract is independent of your upgrade date. As the article mentioned, it depends on a number of factors including monthly bill, length of time with ATT, billing history, etc. A few months ago when news started spreading that ATT was pushing upgrade dates up, I checked my upgrade options. I was told that I could "Upgrade Early" and get a new iPhone 3GS for $399 or $499. I was told that I might be eligible for more on 11/20/2010. When I read this morning that ATT was pushing even more upgrade dates forward, I checked again. I am now eligible for the full upgrade (e.g. $199 or $299) as others have been reporting. As the text from ATT states, anyone who has an upgrade date in 2010 will be able to take advantage of the full iPhone subsidy regardless of how much time they have left on their current two year contract. Like Eriamjh, I also have the $70 plan.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:

What EXACTLY does the text message say?

Mine says

"A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 03/28/2011. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer."

And I bought mine on Launch weekend 2009

OK, full text is:

"Text from 108. As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

Which I take to mean I can get the subsidized upgrade costs ($199 or $299) after paying an $18 fee.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    it is very simple. If you are going iPhone to iPhone and you bought a 3Gs on the launch date or after...it has nothing to do with your monthly bill, etc. For an $18 fee you will be able to purchase a 4th generation 16gb or 32gb iPhone for $199 and $299, respectively. I called ATT 3x to confirm this with 3 different representatives.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    1. If you qualify for the discount, when you go to your account at AT&T Wireless, under Upgrade Options > iPhone Upgrade it should say:
    As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee.
    2. If you don't qualify (yet), it should say (always with a 2011 date for when you will qualify for the full discount -- the date given happens to be my own):
    As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 01/02/2011
    3. HOWEVER, if you begin to proceed with the online upgrade process (no matter what your status), you won't see the new iPhones -- the launch date is June 24, although maybe you will be able to pre-order through AT&T, I don't know. Anyhow, as of right now, they can't be ordered at all.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfies167 View Post

it is very simple. If you are going iPhone to iPhone and you bought a 3Gs on the launch date or after...it has nothing to do with your monthly bill, etc. For an $18 fee you will be able to purchase a 4th generation 16gb or 32gb iPhone for $199 and $299, respectively. I called ATT 3x to confirm this with 3 different representatives.

So why was my message and LocalMotion's message different?
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:

if that is true then the article is wrong
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:

OK, full text is:

"Text from 108. As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

Which I take to mean I can get the subsidized upgrade costs ($199 or $299) after paying an $18 fee.

Yes, you are interpreting that correctly. For whatever reason (longtime AT&T customer?) they have bumped you up. If you didn't qualify, you'd be getting a different, more depressing message that includes the date when you will qualify.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

Yes, you are interpreting that correctly. For whatever reason (longtime AT&T customer?) they have bumped you up. If you didn't qualify, you'd be getting a different, more depressing message that includes the date when you will qualify.

I've been with AT&T since July 2009...

I have two lines though (two iPhones - 2nd line was added Dec 26th 2009)... maybe that's the reason?
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

No, this is not entiresly correct. ATT has some set of metrics that they use to determine what your upgrade date it. For some of us that bought our 3Gs on launch day, the upgrade date was earlier (at some point in 2010). For others, the upgrade date is later (in 2011) much like LocalMotion and TenThousandThings. For those that had upgrade dates in 2010, ATT bumped our upgrade dates up so that we qualified for the fully-subsidized upgrade price. Those with 2011 upgrade dates will have to wait to get the new phones for $199 or $299.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

Quote:

if that is true then the article is wrong

Unfortunately, it seems far more likely Wolfies167 was talking to representatives who were confirming that he himself is eligible. He may have tried to get answers about the big picture, but the representatives you get on the phone when you call AT&T aren't in a position to discuss how the company determined his eligibility.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:

I've been with AT&T since July 2009...

I have two lines though (two iPhones - 2nd line was added Dec 26th 2009)... maybe that's the reason?

Well, considering I bought my phone on August 1st and I missed the cutoff by two days, I suspect you just made it. For $70/month customers like me and you, my guess is the cutoff date for purchasing the phone is July 31, 2009.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    maepadmaepad Posts: 3member
    Any AT&T customer whose upgrade date occurs before the end of 2010 will be eligible to buy Apple's new iPhone 4 at the $199 and $299 subsidized pricing up to six months early, with a new two-year contract.

My upgrade ends on OCT 2010...I was told by AT&T and APPLE that im not eligible for an upgrade since im not an iphone user!..I dont get it..if it said in BOLD PRINT onTOP --ANY AT&T CUSTOMER WHOSE UPGRADE OCCuRS BEFORE THEN END OF 2010 WILL BE ELIGIBLE....then how come theyre telling me im not entitled to that upgrade??..