Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 184
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because of Gizmodo this is actually much more exciting than the iPhone announcement and demos today.

And unfortunately, its not that exciting. In the last 7 years its gone from revolutionary to behind everything not called internet explorer.
  • Reply 22 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And unfortunately, its not that exciting. In the last 7 years its gone from revolutionary to behind everything not called internet explorer.

¿Que? It's always faster than Firefox and Opera, and plays leapfrog with Chrome with V8 v. Nitro.
  • Reply 23 of 184
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Released?

Seriously, does anyone at this site ever check their facts?
  • Reply 24 of 184
    Get ready! Apple's developer site says "We'll be back soon" for the iPhone and Safari dev portals.
  • Reply 25 of 184
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Released?

Seriously, does anyone at this site ever check their facts?

Obviously the article says that it has not appeared on the site yet, but it can at any second. Perhaps AI should have put quotation marks on released. Not a big deal.
  • Reply 26 of 184
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Apparently they dropped Tiger support, let's hope this helps with lean-ness...

EDIT: Downloading now in SW Update...
  • Reply 27 of 184
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Get ready! Apple's developer site says "We'll be back soon" for the iPhone and Safari dev portals.

Safari news release was pulled though. At least we have a hint about the GM (candidate) of iOS 4. Maybe if we're lucky Safari 5 will actually show up today -- or at least they will put it on hold for last minute fix and then announce it AFTER it is actually available.
  • Reply 28 of 184
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Obviously the article says that it has not appeared on the site yet, but it can at any second. Perhaps AI should have put quotation marks on released. Not a big deal.

Or maybe they could have actually checked to see if it was released and then gone with a headline that wasn't wrong. Or even changed the story and headline once they figured out they botched it. But no.

Aah, it's just AI, who cares if the info is right or not?
  • Reply 29 of 184
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

What's the betting we STILL won't have a Google UK search? The only work around at present is to use a hex editor. Very annoying for UK users and people have been complaining about it for years.

I hope to be proven wrong here...

And you **NEED** a Google UK search why exactly?

To have LESS features on the landing google page than the american version?

Or in the misguided opinion that the searches include more regional content for the UK?
  • Reply 30 of 184
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    it's coming.

pictures are slowly coming live.
  • Reply 31 of 184
    Check Software Update. I just installed it and I'm writing this message using it.
  • Reply 32 of 184
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Eh? "Behind" as in:

a) with MORE of the standards implemented than all others,

b) providing new exciting functionality FIRST (css 3d transforms and animations, canvas, et al)

c) FASTER (or leapfrogging top performer) and with KILLER JS engine

d) INTERGRATED into OS X

e) with NICE features (Snapback, Top Sites, Web Inspector, Dashboard support, now Reader, Extensions et al)

f) with new PROTECTION from flash and plugin crashes a la Chrome (Webkit2)
  • Reply 33 of 184
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    the reader mode is interesting.
  • Reply 34 of 184
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Check Software Update. I just installed it and I'm writing this message using it.

As am I.
  • Reply 35 of 184
    Just tested it out. No tabs on top (which means I will stick to chrome which does not eat away my screen space). A welcome addition of the blue loading bar (they brought it back from 3. Other then that this is basically safari 4 for my usage scenario, I doubt I will use the reader option. As far as speed, it is now about as fast as Chrome, though latest webkits have been just as fast.
  • Reply 36 of 184
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

¿Que? It's always faster than Firefox and Opera, and plays leapfrog with Chrome with V8 v. Nitro.

Faster, yes but the UI seems a little dated and there are way too many page compatibility concerns.
  • Reply 37 of 184
    136/160 on http://html5test.com/

• Still no MP3 or AAC codec support in the browser (obviously not Ogg Vorbis, either)

• GeoLocation has been added

• It looks like Safari included all the HTML5 forms elements except Autocomplete: http://www.findmebyip.com/

• Acid 3 test is smoother. It no longer pauses on test 69: acid3.acidtests.org/

• Always create tabs option is nice.

• Open Location doesn't seem to do anything.

• The Reader is nice but I doubt I'd use it.

• ClickToFlash isn't broken by this update.

• There is no WebKit2 split-processes as of yet.

• No extensions as of yet to test, but I doubt I'll use them.

• The effect on History and Top Sites is nicer, as well as the additional button and date info.

• Safari opens in one second, but I have an SSD so I'm not a fair judge of that.

• Sadly, no tabs-on-top but I haven't checked the PLIST yet.
    Over all, it seems like a great update to an already great browser.
  • Reply 38 of 184
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Apparently they dropped Tiger support, let's hope this helps with lean-ness...

EDIT: Downloading now in SW Update...

Where are you coming from? I'm running Tiger, and Safari 5 downloaded just fine (I haven't actually restarted and installed it yet, as I have to leave).

EDIT: It's actually Safari 4.1 for Tiger - I installed it, and several hours later I'm finally back and running on Safari 4.0.5. Safari 4.1 kept crashing (it wouldn't even start up), even after I removed ClickToFlash and SafariBlock (my only extras). I had to go to my backup clone to get a Safari that would work (it wouldn't let me re-install 4.0.5 on my hard drive, even after I deleted 4.1). Tiger users beware.
  • Reply 39 of 184
    Quote:

136/160 on http://html5test.com/
    •*Still no MP3 or AAC codec support in the browser (obviously not Ogg Vorbis, either)

•*GeoLocation has been added
    It looks like Safari included all the HTML5 forms elements except Autocomplete: http://www.findmebyip.com/

137 on latest webkit (progress element added) compared to 142 for chrome (plus ogg and aac support for chrome).
  • Reply 40 of 184
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Safari 5 just hit my software updater...