Safari history problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited August 2015
In the last few days I've noticed that if I log out, the next time I log in again all my Safari history has gone. Any ideas why this is happening?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

In the last few days I've noticed that if I log out, the next time I log in again all my Safari history has gone. Any ideas why this is happening?

Safari menu > Private Browsing?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Safari menu > Private Browsing?

When private browsing is turned on, webpages are not added to the history, items are automatically removed from the Downloads window, information isn't saved for AutoFill (including names and passwords), and searches are not added to the pop-up menu in the Google search box. Until you close the window, you can still click the Back and Forward buttons to return to webpages you have opened.

The above is from the dialog box. That answer seems to be spot on!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kumquatkumquat Posts: 5member
    Nope, it's not that. I checked it wasn't turned on. Then I installed Safari 4 in the hope that that would fix it. It didn't. Just logged in now and I had no history at all. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Go to the Safari menu and to Preferences, and check in the General preferences page to see how often history resets. The smallest interval is one day, though, so it should stay there even after logout until it gets to be 24 hours old.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Tried that too. It's set to "after one month". Any other ideas?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

Tried that too. It's set to "after one month". Any other ideas?

Yes, install Safari 5, run your Software Update, it fixes a lot of issues.

What is your machine the OS X version etc?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Installed Safari 5, no difference. Ran Software Update, nothing new for me to install. I'm on a Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz iMac, 2GB RAM. Running Mac OS Leopard. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    If you got space on the hard drive (check Activity Monitor) create another user (B) and log into that and see if the problem continues.

You might have a corrupt .plist file in the original problem user (A)

Log into the problem user (A) your Safari history.plist file is in your Users/NAME/Library/Safari/History.plist

You can just remove this someplace else and it should be rebuilt the next time Safari launches.

Also download the free OnyX for Leopard

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english/apps.html

Under the Verify>Preferences is a plist (preference file) checker, run that. Show only corrupt files.

Screen copy the problem list for reference and then locate the problem .plist files and move them someplace else, they will be rebuilt upon next launching of the browser or program.

Also you might want to run all the maintenance and cleaning while your there in Onyx, you can cancel the needed reboots to do the other cleanings, just make sure you do reboot after quitting Onyx. It takes bit and sort of resets your machine back to the original install state on the system level, cleans caches, spotlight etc. Won't hurt your machine or files any, do run the checkers first. Your spotlight/mdworker will eat your cpu's for a bit until it's done, Onyx cleaning and maintenance will make your machine a bit more snappy.

See if any of that works.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bookzbookz Posts: 2member
    Do you log in as Guest account?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    None of that worked. And it seems that it happens to all user accounts. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 11 of 11

thru the last week some Sites forced the Safari preferences to accept any cookie and they placed a lot.

i had to kick em out again and again, even the preferences where overwritten each time and my HISTORY was not visible in the drop down menu. Some sites like MACKEEPER are top suspects.

i hope Apple can fix this with the next update. by the way i tried some Blocker Apps, did not help.

there was a report too of some hackers

greetings

a55imov 

P. S. Ssomeone wrote into the the File Library/Safari/HistoryIndex.sk

Bud2

H

H?

delete and safe, the History appears again.

And here are the the last suspects to the Safari Preference Hack

after this cookie

a cookie named > indexx.org appears as written

then comes a cookie from > media-serving.com

and last they drop this cookie > utop.it  -seems to be a Italian Server