Apple drops 'phone' from its mobile OS for new name: iOS 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Apple's priority should be in getting the whatever-it's-called OS WORKING on all those devices.

Look at the current situation we have on the ground. OS 3.1.x works on the iPhone and iPod touch. OS 3.2 is iPad-only. OS 4 will run on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G, but not the iPad (at first). WITF??? I'm a fanboy and even I can't keep this straight!

Imagine if Apple had dared "Leopard will run on 21" and 3.0ghz iMacs and most MacBooks, but not the Mac Pro or Mac mini. Snow Leopard will run on the Mac Pro but not the MacBook Air". Yes, it's that bad.

Apple, please decided what your OS is & where it'll run. Right now you're making a mess worthy of Microsoft.

I don't see a problem. The iPad is a bigger device, with some extra functionality. They're adding as much of that extra to the iPhoneTouch platform, but likely, the iPad will still get something extra as it should. So it will take longer. It's likely it will only be about three months.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Not true, with exception of the few unique features, the iPhone 3G is very much similar to the original iPhone -- checkout the specs! Eliminating updates from the original iPhone is purely $ based, but there should still be updates, maybe not as big, but still things like Safari updates, etc.

The 3G has, well, 3G. It also has GPS. Those are two very big features.

But the one that matters both for that, and my 3G is the 128 MB RAM. The 3GS and later will have at least 256.

Apple didn't say that there won't be updates. But not this upgrade.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But the one that matters both for that, and my 3G is the 128 MB RAM. The 3GS and later will have at least 256.

I'm not sure if he's trolling or just myopically uninformed about what constitutes an typical upgrade cycle for CE. While the G1 and G2 iPhones had the same processor type and speed, and the same amount of RAM most of the chips were different. Even the CPU had a different model number according to iFixit. Why anyone would think that because they have the same CPU type that it should be included forever in an update cycle or that 3 years for a phone isn't long enough just sounds like silliness to me.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Shouldn't this be "Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- only the iPod touch and iPad" rather than "including", which makes it seem as if there are more non-phone devices than only these?

Since the iPad and iPod touch are the only other options available at the moment, I believe no parameter is in fact necessary here: "Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- the iPod touch and iPad --" Best, though, to rewrite as "Because the iPhone OS runs on the iPad and iPod touch in addition to iPhones," or "Because the iPhone OS runs not just on iPhones but on the iPod touch and iPad, too...."
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Cisco and Apple have no trademark issues...
  • Reply 46 of 65
    remarkremark Posts: 13member
    Quote:

When the new OS outruns the ability of the old hardware to use it, then at that point, it won't be upgraded. Too much of the new OS's features won;t run on the 2G phone. Apple might have to have a special edition for it, and frankly after three years and four new models, it's being laid to rest. Next year, it will be my soon to be replaced 3G that won't be upgraded, I would think. That's really pretty good.

As far as I know the iPhone was the first phone that could get a true OS upgrade. Android phone owners are going through paroxysms over whether they will get an upgrade, and if so, when. That's even for new phones.

Apple is way ahead of the pack here.

With an update for my 3g And my ipad, it's hard to justify buying the new phone
  • Reply 47 of 65
    sippincidersippincider Posts: 410member
    Quote:

I don't see a problem. The iPad is a bigger device, with some extra functionality. They're adding as much of that extra to the iPhoneTouch platform, but likely, the iPad will still get something extra as it should.

No offense intended, but read your own post. You don't see the problem & then you explain it.

Yes, the iPad is a different device. Different enough that it should have gotten its own OS. This is clear with iPad- and iPhone-specific versions of the same OS leapfrogging each-other in functionality.

It's gotten to the point where nobody knows what'll run where anymore (this is esp. grievous when it involves current hardware). Again, this something I'd expect from Microsoft.

Anyway it's time to stop paying attention to the press releases. If my device supports something hopefully iTunes will tell me.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yeah, Macworld has a good article about that and Facetime.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1518...ios_cisco.html
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by remark View Post

With an update for my 3g And my ipad, it's hard to justify buying the new phone

We all have our own priorities.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Quote:

No offense intended, but read your own post. You don't see the problem & then you explain it.

Yes, the iPad is a different device. Different enough that it should have gotten its own OS. This is clear with iPad- and iPhone-specific versions of the same OS leapfrogging each-other in functionality.

It's gotten to the point where nobody knows what'll run where anymore (this is esp. grievous when it involves current hardware). Again, this something I'd expect from Microsoft.

Anyway it's time to stop paying attention to the press releases. If my device supports something hopefully iTunes will tell me.

I don't see the problem i the post that I was responding to. But that doesn't mean that nothing's happening. This might be the only year the different products aren't updated at the same time.

Now you see, I don't agree with that. It would have been bad for Apple to copy Microsoft and have a different OS for every product.

We know pretty much what will run on the iPhone/Touch, and on the iPad. The iPad is a bit of a superset of the iPhone. That's only natural. But it's what, 95% the same?

You might as well say that the iPod Touch should also have its own OS. But, please don't.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

That's what I said back in post #19.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    drudru Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Apple, please decided what your OS is & where it'll run. Right now you're making a mess worthy of Microsoft.

Apple announced iPhone OS 4 would be late to the iPad when the OS was unveiled. It's not clear to me why they need the extra months but it is what it is.

As for the name, iOS will not run on the iMac so why use that misleading name? Will iMac become Mac in the next round of updates?

iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch all shared 'iP" so why not call it the "iP OS" hmm iPOS?
  • Reply 53 of 65
    I never heard of Cisco's IOS before even though I know Cisco and type of business they are doing. How many of you bother actually? They exists on a different lansdscapes and by different target users. Most importantly, you don't use iDevices with the OS name on the back of your mind at 100% of the time. You just concentrate on the task in hand that's mean the app. I bet network admins wouldn't bother about Cisco's IOS naming much either. I also doubt Cisco would be bitching about it. They are not desperate Nokia with detroriating market share and money.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Yeah, Macworld has a good article about that and Facetime.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1518...ios_cisco.html

Looks like the new legal counsel Apple hired is finally doing the job.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like the new legal counsel Apple hired is finally doing the job.

They have to be proactive. They can't just assume things will work out ok. And they have to be willing to license things. They hate doing that.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Original iPhone has 128 MB RAM too! 3G and A-GPS are not reasons for lack of iOS updates for the first Gen. devices!

Quote:

• Reply 57 of 65
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    You are silly to think it is just a "phone", it is a micro-computer with telephony -- there IS a big difference.

No reason they could not add new features and require a payment it, since the 3G is getting the updates...

Quote:

I'm not sure if he's trolling or just myopically uninformed about what constitutes an typical upgrade cycle for CE. While the G1 and G2 iPhones had the same processor type and speed, and the same amount of RAM most of the chips were different. Even the CPU had a different model number according to iFixit. Why anyone would think that because they have the same CPU type that it should be included forever in an update cycle or that 3 years for a phone isn't long enough just sounds like silliness to me.

• Reply 58 of 65
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

It did get its own OS. iPhone OS 3.2. There was an article just this morning at arstechnica talking about how the fragmentation issue of Android is blown out of proportion. If it isn't a big deal for Android, I don't see how it can be any greater for iPhone
  • Reply 59 of 65
    @dsandler:In case you missed it:

• iPhone OS is now simply "iOS";

• Mac OS X is now simply "iOS Development Platform".

• Reply 60 of 65
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    So I am imagining that this will probably end up on the Apple TV some time soon. Wonder if it will work on the current Apple TV or if it will be new hardware.