WWDC 2010 Apple Design Awards name best iPhone, iPad apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple this week announced the winners of its annual Design Awards at the Worldwide Developers Conference, highlighting some of the best applications written for iOS.

The winners of this years awards were represented by five applications written for the iPad, and five for the iPhone. They were selected among the more than 225,000 options on the App Store, which has earned developers more than $1 billion to date.

This year's Design Awards did not include a category for Mac OS X applications, further demonstrating that the focus of WWDC 2010 is iOS, which powers the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

Winners were selected based on criteria including design, technical excellence, innovation, quality, technology adoption and performance. Nominations were accepted through Apple's website by members of the iPhone Developer Program

The awards ceremony was followed this week by MacStories, which provided a full list of the winners, also included below with iTunes links:

Financial Times

Doodle Jump from Lima Sky

Brushes from Steve Sprang

TabToolkit from Agile Partners

Articles from Sophiestication

Flight Control HD from Firemint

20 Minute Meals - Jamie Oliver from Zolmo

Star Walk for iPad from Vito Technology

Real Racing from Firemint

Pinball HD from Gameprom

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Perhaps AI could update the article to indicate what category each app won in?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    here's what's newsworthy in this story:

This year's Design Awards did not include a category for Mac OS X applications, further demonstrating that the focus of WWDC 2010 is iOS, which powers the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Not that newsworthy since it's been known for quite a while that this would be the case. And, it's exactly because iOS is the focus that there are no Mac OS X awards. It's not like they've even hade fixed categories in the past. Basically, the ADA is just a vehicle for Apple to showcase a few apps that contribute to it's WWDC message each year. So it's really much ado about nothing.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Newsworthy?

We were well informed on the focus of this years WWDC when it was officially announced by Apple on March 28th, 2010. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/04/28wwdc.html

And for the 5,000 plus developers that got registered in the eight days that it took to fill the conference, it was well understood what we were to expect.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Just wait until these apps start to take advantage of the newly implemented gyroscope. If what I'm hearing through my contacts is true, Apple is about open up a brand new can of whup ass - with stuff NO ONE in the industry can remotely come close to.

And the new screen isn't just an evolution of previous screens, this is a more calculated move.

Hmmph, I'll reserve judgement.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

I understand your concern, but you need not worry. Everything Mac OS X is on the horizon. Do you follow Patently Apple? If not, maybe you should.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...wn-begins.html
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Well, I've got none of those. Time to go check them out.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    A lot of people are getting their knickers in a twist about the WWDC's focus on iOS and the lack of any mention of Mac OS X. Apple has enjoyed the position in the tech world as the front runner of change and growth. Growth right now and for the near future is in mobile devices and the success of the iphone, ipad and ipod touch have proven this without any doubt. The PC market is not going to disappear over night but Jobs "truck vs car" analogy is very telling of where he sees Apple going if not the world. Mac OS X is mature some might say the same of Windows 7. However more than ever people constantly are utilizing technology outside of the office and home and this is why Apple needs to be the company to define that market and the technologies that serve it. Microsoft has failed to understand this with it's half baked products that come way too late to make a difference. The desktop market and usefulness is shrinking along with Microsoft's influence and profits. When Jobs said the desktop war is over he meant it doesn't matter anymore going forward the way it once did. Don't worry about Mac OS X it will continually be developed and improved, look outside and you will see that trucks are everywhere to do the heavy lifting that we cannot not really do without them.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I understand your concern, but you need not worry. Everything Mac OS X is on the horizon. Do you follow Patently Apple? If not, maybe you should.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...wn-begins.html

Very good read but I'd be careful about looking into anything Apple patents. A good example is the multiple patents involving using ceramics on the iPhone for radio transparency. They ended up going with all glass which has it's own distinct tech. They don't even like to give indications of where they're going in patents.

The desktop is going to change but I think laptops will eventually be replaced by iPads. The iPad is already on pace to blow away Mac sales and right now it's a third device. I believe eventually Apple will all be iDevices.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Financial Times!? Really poor (and expensive) app. I say this as a regular reader of the financial press.

If you want to see how a news app should be implemented on the iPad, take a look at USA Today, NPR, Bloomberg, or BBC, for starters. (I was not a reader of USA Today even when it would be delivered free, e.g., to my hotel room on travels; now it's a daily stop on my cycle of news sources).
  • Reply 11 of 15
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Real Racing rocks! I can't get the iPad out of my brother's hands when he's racing! It's funny to see when he gets into the zone. You can't talk to him!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Real Racing rocks! I can't get the iPad out of my brother's hands when he's racing! It's funny to see when he gets into the zone. You can't talk to him!

Real Racing HD is awesome... Probably my favorite game on the iPad so far. Angry birds is fun, too.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's good to see an Australian company becoming so successful on the iOS platform...

...now why can't we be included on the 24th June launch?

Late July is all we have, my 3G will be over two years old by then.

I've personally sold hundreds of iPhones since they were launched.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Jamie Oliver 20 Minute Meals application just might be the best app on the store, in terms of usefulness and elegance of execution.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Thanks for the reference to patentlyapple.com... I understand that iOS was the WWDC focus but will there even be mini-OSX conferences? When I heard readers comment, in other threads, that iOS could replace OSX, I thought they were talking through their hats. Now, I'm a bit worried.