Designer of notifications for Palm's WebOS hired by Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    cwfrederickcwfrederick Posts: 171member
    wow, the only guy here making any sense is called an asshole. classy. what he said sounded pretty reasonable. anyway, apple made huge improvements to iOS this time around. multitasking, 1,500 API's, etc. i know it's early, but i think we can be more constructive then that.

that being said, i really don't like the look of the notifications, and how they make my fish freeze when i have Wa Kingyo on in the background (WAY better than the koi pond apps, highly recommend).

i like the idea i just read from a commenter on 9to5mac that said, from the home screen, swipe up to see notifications, swipe down for update widgets like weather and such. i hope they keep the multiple pages to the right and the easy access to search on the left.

i can't wait to get the new iphone, it looks freaking amazing.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dellinger, who has more than 15 years of experience in the technology industry, was hired by Apple in May, according to his LinkedIn page. It will be his second stint with the Cupertino, Calif., company, as he worked there from 1999 to 2006 in a variety of roles, including tech support, Web design, and a 9 month stint as a user interface designer for Mac OS X, the iPod and iPhone.

So, he is some brilliant technical minded person that worked for Apple, then Palm and now Apple, and yet they had him in Tech Support? Does this not sound strange to anyone else? Do you really make your smart sought-after designers man the phones?

Maybe I am misunderstanding. Maybe he started in Tech Support and quickly moved up once they realized his talents. At least I hope this is how it went down. \
  • Reply 23 of 59
    niko03niko03 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

I hope so too. A 12 months release cycle for iOS seems very long if you compare to Android's 6 months. Regardless, how can the dev team at Apple outperform Android's massive open source coders...

6 Month release cycles don't mean squat if it's difficult or impossible for the user to obtain it and update thier device.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I agree that pretty much covers it. Maybe something to enable the alarm clock real fast too.

I just hope it's not a year for them to get it done.

Unfortunately, a complete overhaul of the OS to redesign the notifications system sounds like a full release to me, like probably iOS 5. Sooner would be better than later, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

So, he is some brilliant technical minded person that worked for Apple, then Palm and now Apple, and yet they had him in Tech Support? Does this not sound strange to anyone else? Do you really make your smart sought-after designers man the phones?

Maybe I am misunderstanding. Maybe he started in Tech Support and quickly moved up once they realized his talents. At least I hope this is how it went down. \

It's the modern equivalent of starting in the Mail Room.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

If he did anything Apple thought of as "basically stealing," Apple would not hire him back.

You don't think he will ever get out of that room they put him in deep in the basement do you?
  • Reply 27 of 59
    rayboraybo Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, ignoring for the moment that Android is faux open source, if "massive open source coders" were such a tremendous advantage, Linux ought to have taken over the desktop OS market by now.

I think there may be some other factors here - like 20 years of Windows, software incompatibilty....
  • Reply 28 of 59
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    LinkedIn public profile:

Rich Dellinger

Designer

San Francisco Bay Area Computer Software

Current
    • Senior User Interface Designer at Apple Inc.

Past
    • User Interface Design Architect at Palm, Inc.

• User Interface Designer at Apple Computer, Inc.

• Lead Web Designer, Online Support at Apple Computer, Inc.

• Web Designer at Apple Computer

• Senior Technical Support Engineer at Apple Computer, Inc.

Education
    • Oklahoma State University

Portfolio

P.S.

``People keep saying you are very bright guy, but everything you did in your life was crap. Come work for me we'll set it all right' '
  • Reply 29 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Better Apple employs anyone from ex Apple - Palm background than Google! May be a defensive hiring as well as gaining him back.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raybo View Post

I think there may be some other factors here - like 20 years of Windows, software incompatibilty....

... and the fact that the Linux desktop user experience pretty much sucks.

Sometimes open source works fine, and sometimes it's like monkeys at typewriters.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Do you really make your smart sought-after designers man the phones?

It's actually a great way to understand what problems users are having with the systems you design. Designers, developers and programmers tend to ignore lists of complaints until they are directly confronted by customers via tech support or at sales/trade shows.

When you design someting, you're simply "too close to it" to realize how it appears to an average user.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

It's actually a great way to understand what problems users are having with the systems you design. Designers, developers and programmers tend to ignore lists of complaints until they are directly confronted by customers via tech support or at sales/trade shows.

When you design someting, you're simply "too close to it" to realize how it appears to an average user.

You make an excellent point. I didn't think of it from this angle.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

What the iOS interface needs is:

1) Improved notifications

2) Daily Events, Weather, etc. on the lock screen (as an option of course)

3) Quick access to turn on/off GPS/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/3G from the top bar instead of having to fish through pages and pages of settings.

Do that, and the OS would be damn near perfect IMHO.

Agreed. This is one area I've always though iOS was behind. I like how Android does it with the notification blind and the on/off panel for wifi/bluetooth/gsp/sync/brightness. The Google New and weather widget or the weather widget on HTC's Sense UI or Beautiful Widgets is really nice too. They are good additions on the home screen. But they haven't enabled the widgets on the lock screen, something Apple should definitely do.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

Actually, Android's quick OS cycles is part of the reason the market is so fragmented. Google has pretty much said that they had a lot of catching up to do and that is why they have been cranking out releases, but that they would be slowing down their release cycle.

General consumers can't be constantly rushed into major new features. You have to incrementally roll them out.

With that being said, we could potentially see a new notification system by the time iOS 4 hits the iPad. Here's hoping.

Except that Apple only has a handful of phones and one platform to update. So fragmentation shouldn't be an issue. This should leave room for Apple to update far more frequently than Android theoretically.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Maybe they should hire someone to rework OS X and it's God awful inconsistent abomination of an interface.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Better Apple employs anyone from ex Apple - Palm background than Google! May be a defensive hiring as well as gaining him back.

Very true. Google did pick up the WebOS lead designer (work on the UI I believe). And he's now responsible for Android's user experience efforts.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Maybe they should hire someone to rework OS X and it's God awful inconsistent abomination of an interface.

If you want to be taken seriously, try giving some specific examples instead of just a general statement like: "I hate it so therefore you should too"!
  • Reply 38 of 59
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

It doesn't say WHAT tech support he worked at. Some of the sharpest engineers at Apple are in Dev Tech Support or moved thru it. There are a lot of areas to work in and the guys "answering phones" are merely the front line. It goes much deeper than that. I would not discount that at all.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Let me get this straight. Homey left Apple and went to Palm and now Apple has hired him back. He started at Apple first so be basically stole Apple's stuff and gave it to Palm. Yeah that is what happened.

Rubinstein and this guy took Apple's culture and gave it to the Palm's people to make a quick buck.

I'm not surprised. there are a lot of ideas at Apple that don't get out the door but they were developed there(even if they don't get made they still belong to the company). Webos has a lot of hypercard in it. Webos is nothing but the iphone OS and hypercard with a fully realized state of play. Period.

where do you think a lot of the original iphone engineers came from? Palm. not like Apple just threw a Designing Cell Phones for Dummies book at a few people and told them to design a cell phone
  • Reply 40 of 59
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I was pretty shocked there's been nothing done to improve this in OS4 despite what is supposed to be 100 new features.

I don't know why everyone thinks they have seen everthing for v4