iPhone 4 upgrade question. Not your usual question.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Okay, so I have a 3GS currently, and will not be eligible for an upgrade. However, my mother will be eligible for an upgrade, so is there a way that I could just buy the $199 iPhone 4 under my mom's contract upgrade, and then when it comes in the mail, I just activate it under my own number? Also, would my mothers old phone still work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    That's exactly how I got my 3GS. My 3G was too new at the time to qualify for upgrade, but my wife was due for an upgrade. So I simply bought it for her number, but then simply replaced the SIM card with the one from my 3G, and voila! I had a 3GS phone!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    SIM cards aren't interchangeable on these though (unless you have an adaptor so the micro SIM will fit in the old phone, and you then cut the big sim to fit in the new phone )

Still... as long as your mom knows she has a new 2 year contract because of this, no reason why ATT should care... but ATT would certainly be able to answer your question with more authority than anyone on here.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    I did this when I got my first iPhone. I upgraded my sons phone and they put My number into the sim card on the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

SIM cards aren't interchangeable on these though (unless you have an adaptor so the micro SIM will fit in the old phone, and you then cut the big sim to fit in the new phone )

Still... as long as your mom knows she has a new 2 year contract because of this, no reason why ATT should care... but ATT would certainly be able to answer your question with more authority than anyone on here.

Yeah, I totally forgot about the new micro sim. If you buy your iPhone at an Apple store though, they'll be able to help you there just fine. When bought my 3GS I straight up told the guy I was going to keep it for myself and give my wife my 3G hand me down. He didn't care, and helped me get setup.