AdMob CEO says Apple's iOS terms are not in best interest of consumers

2456710

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 188
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyrnight View Post


    ok Ill say it..



    NO ads are in the best interest of the customers.



    Let me guess: you want it to be free too.
  • Reply 22 of 188
    In all seriousness, I think they are literally giving the bird to the FTC antitrust division.



    There can be no doubt that iOS is a computer operating system of which Apple has 100% market share. That market share is used to limit competition in Apps and Advertising to the detriment of their competitors and at the expense of consumers/advertisers who pay in the form of decreased competition reflecting less innovation and/or higher prices.



    Considering they are being looked at from several angles, I am surprised they would open another front.



    Particularly at a time when the compare/contrast with other platforms makes them look really bad. (AT&T just launched an Android phone tied to Yahoo)



  • Reply 23 of 188
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post


    The sentiment is understandable, but ultimately, this is probably not true, UNLESS customers want to pay higher prices for goods because there's no money coming in to manufacturers to promote and sell their products.



    It's all a dance and knowing our cue.



    You beat me to it!
  • Reply 24 of 188
    danielchowdanielchow Posts: 124member
    doesn't admob has its own phone from google to play with? quit your (admob) pretensions and focus on your own sand box.
  • Reply 25 of 188
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fattychance View Post


    In all seriousness, I think they are literally giving the bird to the FTC antitrust division.



    There can be no doubt that iOS is a computer operating system of which Apple has 100% market share. That market share is used to limit competition in Apps and Advertising to the detriment of their competitors and at the expense of consumers/advertisers who pay in the form of decreased competition reflecting less innovation and/or higher prices.



    Considering they are being looked at from several angles, I am surprised they would open another front.



    Particularly at a time when the compare/contrast with other platforms makes them look really bad. (AT&T just launched an Android phone tied to Yahoo)







    Why? They just don't want their direct competition to gather information on how to beat them. Seems reasonable to me. Hope FTC isn't that stupid.
  • Reply 26 of 188
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    ...excludes AdMob...which was recently acquired by Google for $750 million.



    The message here is: Don't f.ck with Jobs!
  • Reply 27 of 188
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fattychance View Post


    In all seriousness, I think they are literally giving the bird to the FTC antitrust division.



    There can be no doubt that iOS is a computer operating system of which Apple has 100% market share.



    iOS is far from dominating the mobile market. If mbarriault is to be believed (see above), Apple isn't even blocking AdMob from iOS. AdMob is only neutered of its big brother tracking.
  • Reply 28 of 188
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post


    The sentiment is understandable, but ultimately, this is probably not true, UNLESS customers want to pay higher prices for goods because there's no money coming in to manufacturers to promote and sell their products. ...



    Nonsense! AdMob can still place ads, they just can't use their ad service to do market research on the iPhone for Android and violate user privacy. And there are plenty of other ad options for developers as well. This won't hurt consumers or developers in any way.
  • Reply 29 of 188
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fattychance View Post


    In all seriousness, I think they are literally giving the bird to the FTC antitrust division.



    There can be no doubt that iOS is a computer operating system of which Apple has 100% market share. That market share is used to limit competition in Apps and Advertising to the detriment of their competitors and at the expense of consumers/advertisers who pay in the form of decreased competition reflecting less innovation and/or higher prices.



    Considering they are being looked at from several angles, I am surprised they would open another front.



    Particularly at a time when the compare/contrast with other platforms makes them look really bad. (AT&T just launched an Android phone tied to Yahoo)







    You can't have a monopoly (100%) on your own product!!

    There are plenty other OSs and phones on the market.

    Does Sony have a monopoly ? It has 100% of the PS3 market....
  • Reply 30 of 188
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I must have missed something - when did AdMob start caring about consumers?
  • Reply 31 of 188
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post




    "This change threatens to decrease -- or even eliminate -- revenue that helps to support tens of thousands of developers," Hamoui wrote. "The terms hurt both large and small developers by severely limiting their choice of how best to make money. And because advertising funds a huge number of free and low cost apps, these terms are bad for consumers as well."



    This is bull ... the revenue is diverted to apple instead of google. Who is to say if Apple will pay out more or they will? There is no way to know that this early in the game.
  • Reply 32 of 188
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    The best news from Apple is that advertisers will need prior consent to collect any user data.



    I hope Apple goes one step further and allows ad-blocking software. And I hope every app clearly states whether it has ads in it or not.
  • Reply 33 of 188
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fattychance View Post


    In all seriousness, I think they are literally giving the bird to the FTC antitrust division.



    There can be no doubt that iOS is a computer operating system of which Apple has 100% market share.



    This argument is wrong - remember Psystar, who made unauthorized Mac clones? They tried to argue that Apple has a monopoly on the OS X operating system - the court shot that down immediately, as OS X is only one of a number of operating systems.



    That would be like arguing that Ford has a monopoly on Ford engines.
  • Reply 34 of 188
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzysatsuma View Post


    That part of what he said is true. Until iAd has comparative revenue--- it is more difficult for devs to release free games.



    On iPhones i think iAd has potential to pay out much more than other services. Also put yourself in apples shoes. Google is trying to destroy them with the free android operating system and lower cost mobile devices. Apple wants Googles AdMob off their "app" side of the phone because they are a direct competitor. AdMob can still sell ads through safari. This is not unreasonable. Apple is happy to let other ad services that don't compete directly against them in the game, so you still have options.
  • Reply 35 of 188
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,988member
    With all the Android evangelists preaching how Android will take over the world, why would AdMob even be concerned with what Apple does with their own product/ecosystem? At least until the end of June 23, I expect Android will be the most prolific OS in the world. AdMob will make so much money that they can then give the finger to Apple.



    He must have ate too much cheese with his whine.
  • Reply 36 of 188
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post


    On iPhones i think iAd has potential to pay out much more than other services. Also put yourself in apples shoes. Google is trying to destroy them with the free android operating system and lower cost mobile devices. Apple wants Googles AdMob off their "app" side of the phone because they are a direct competitor. AdMob can still sell ads through safari. This is not unreasonable. Apple is happy to let other ad services that don't compete directly against them in the game, so you still have options.



    They can still sell ads through apps, just not collect private information.
  • Reply 37 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post


    Of course what he means by that is: "Apple's new terms are not in our best interests."



    Pretty much.



    Argument 1: "They're robbing developers of t3h monies!"

    Only if the developers don't have an equal or better alternative to AdMob. As it stands, it seems they'll have that in iAds, so that's not true. It could be argued that they're robbing developers of choice, but developers will be happy to use the easier/more profitable option.



    Argument 2: "They're robbing the users by robbing the developers of ad revenue!"

    Only if the developers can't make as much from ad revenue, as was essentially the case before. If they were truly killing advertising revenue on the platform it would be taking from the customers, as it would hurt interest in free applications and would likely increase costs of paid applications. As it stands, if the developers have an equivalent advertising solution, there won't be an impact worth speaking of—and if iAds is better than current options, and it sounds like it will definitely be just that—the reverse will be true: it will help customers. But that's just market value, which isn't impacted much by ToS.



    In short, the AdMob announcement would be true if AdMob would have been the best show in town.



    But that doesn't seem to be the case.



    A fair argument can be made of it 'just not being fair', though, but if Google's going to bring a knife to the would-be fistfight with Apple, they shouldn't whine if Apple pulls out a knife of their own in response (reference to the AdMob acquisition bid war).
  • Reply 38 of 188
    alandailalandail Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post


    This is bull ... the revenue is diverted to apple instead of google. Who is to say if Apple will pay out more or they will? There is no way to know that this early in the game.



    apple will pay developers more, they are going after the high profile/high revenue ads, charge both per impression and per click, and will have ads people are more likely to click on.



    Apple doesn't want google tracking data about iOS devices, especially unreleased iOS devices. I don't believe they are blocking any ads that don't track user/device specific information.
  • Reply 39 of 188
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Simply put, Apple doesn't want a phone competitor (or phone platform competitor) looking at usage data of the iPhone (or iOS devices).



    If someone said that HTC had to allow Motorola to look at its usage data, or RIM had to allow Nokia to look at its usage data, most people would say that was nuts. So there's no reason Apple should allow Google to look at its iPhone users usage data (outside of the apps that Google provides).



    It's really just too bad for AdMob that it's owned by Google now, as Google has chosen to compete against Apple in phones and phone platforms.
  • Reply 40 of 188
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,836member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fattychance View Post


    In all seriousness, I think they are literally giving the bird to the FTC antitrust division.



    There can be no doubt that iOS is a computer operating system of which Apple has 100% market share. That market share is used to limit competition in Apps and Advertising to the detriment of their competitors and at the expense of consumers/advertisers who pay in the form of decreased competition reflecting less innovation and/or higher prices.



    Considering they are being looked at from several angles, I am surprised they would open another front.



    Particularly at a time when the compare/contrast with other platforms makes them look really bad. (AT&T just launched an Android phone tied to Yahoo)







    What do you mean by pointing out that Apple has 100% market share in iOS? Of course they do! It's their product. Just like Microsoft has 100% share in the market for Windows Phone 7, and Google has a 100% share in the market for Android. The relevant market, where iOS is concerned, is the market for smart phones and smart phone platforms. In which case Apple is not a dominant firm.



    Just because the FTC is looking into Apple doesn't mean they should automatically be timid. Apple is being investigated because a competing firm complained about them. The FTC has to entertain that complaint or they won't be doing their job. Apple actually seems to have very good antitrust lawyers advising them because they have been very careful to stay away from the sort of actions that got Microsoft convicted.



    And notice, AdMob is not being banned from iOS. They're just not allowed to receive analytics data. Data that they would in a heartbeat turn around and shovel off to Google's Android division which will use the information to compete against iOS and Apple. Apple will still give AdMob all the technical information needed to get their Ads to work in iOS. But information on iPhone users' usage habits, geographic distribution, buying patterns, etc? C'mon Steve Jobs wasn't born yesterday.
Sign In or Register to comment.