Apple ordering enough components to build 3M iPhone 4s per month

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has been ordering enough components to have built a stockpile of several million iPhone 4s in anticipation of this month's launch and continue on with a quarterly run rate of roughly 9 million units, according to a published report.

Asia Optical chairman Robert Lai recently revealed that his firm has been delivering VGA lens kits to Apple for the iPhone 4's front-facing video camera since May, with monthly shipments averaging 3 million.

The iPhone maker's business will reportedly boost Asia Optical's optical lens kit revenues by some 25% to 30%. In addition to the front-facing VGA-quality video conferencing camera, the iPhone 4 also sports a 5-megapixel still camera on its backside that's also capable of HD (720p) video recording at up to 30 frames per second.

Lai's comments would suggest that Apple is posed to ship at least 9 million iPhone 4s during its fourth fiscal quarter of the year ending September, which would represent a more than 20% increase in iPhone sales year-over-year before shipments of iPhone 3GS -- which the company will continue to offer -- are factored into the mix.

When combined, Apple could see itself break the 10 million unit milestone for iPhone sales during a single quarter for the first time in its history. Its quarterly record currently stands at 8.75 million units, which was achieved during its second fiscal quarter of 2010 ended March.

For its part, rival Research in Motion broke the 10 million unit barrier for the first time last fall when it shipped a record 10.1 million Blackberries during its November quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Lets hope that Apple actually manages to build a decent amount of these, after the cock up with the iPad production my faith is shaken a little.

Still I'll be pre-ordering as soon as I can in the UK.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    It's going to be tough to get more and more new users with only AT&T. There will be lots of upgraders but the longer Apple waits to add networks the more of a foothold Android will get.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    And two of the three million this month will be shipped to my house!
  • Reply 4 of 79
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    as long as there are some left for whenever it will come to Canada, I'll take two...
  • Reply 5 of 79
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

It's going to be tough to get more and more new users with only AT&T.

Americans or so US centred! Have you ever heard of "the rest of the world?"
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Count one of those for me too, I'm ready to pre-order on the 15th.

Anybody know if the pre-orders will be delivered on the release date of the 24th?

Or will they arrive latter than the 24?
  • Reply 7 of 79
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    this is good news for myself and everyone else looking to upgrade, especially since those with the 3G will be at the 2-year mark AND at&t is allowing those with a 3Gs to upgrade after 6 months without paying an extra $200. there will be a LOT of people looking to upgrade.

...so my new phone will cost me $199 and Gazelle is giving me $261 for my old phone, AND my data plan will be $5 less per month... that's better than a free upgrade - i will get money back and a cheaper monthly bill. to all you ATT haters, the network is PERFECT here in Connecticut.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    Quote:

It's going to be tough to get more and more new users with only AT&T. There will be lots of upgraders but the longer Apple waits to add networks the more of a foothold Android will get.

True, but you are forgetting about the rest of the world which is the biggest part of the market.

I think it's interesting that with the first model they were hoping (with fingers crossed!) to sell 10 million in a year, and here we are four years later looking at 10 million a quarter.

I used to ascribe to the "Apple will only be a fraction of the Android dominated market in the end" view, but more and more lately I think this is just an expectation based on the history of Windows/Mac and has no real facts to support it. I don't see any reason why Apple couldn't totally dominate the mobile market and eventually take a 70, 80, or even 90% share (worldwide that is).
  • Reply 9 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

At least we can spell.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:

I always wondered why that would be the case though. Assuming Android is crappy like everyone else says about iOS, then iOS will eventually dominate, even if it is late to the multi-carrier party.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Who else would they be concerned about, they aren't Apple. I don't care if France has enough, as long as Canada gets some... Besides, Apple does need to be concerned about growth in the U.S. especially since Android is on multiple carriers...
  • Reply 12 of 79
    I have included the front-facing camera and the other new iPhone 4 components in a hardware components listing. Any kind souls out there to help review and improve the listing?
  • Reply 13 of 79
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    This phone will be harder to get than an ipad.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

Anybody know if the pre-orders will be delivered on the release date of the 24th?

Or will they arrive latter than the 24?

Should be delivered on the 24th. Last year I pre-ordered my 3GS and it was delivered at 9am on the release date! Much better than standing in line.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

Count one of those for me too, I'm ready to pre-order on the 15th.

The magic 8-ball says "all indications say it is so." If you order on 15th or very soon thereafter, you will get it on the 24th (or be able pick up at apple store on same date, your choice at time of ordering). That's what I read and hear anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:

You also should blame all of the US for something I've said.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I doubt it. The article indicates that Apple appears to be on track with producing enough iPhones to roughly equal the highest selling quarter.

The problem with the iPad is that A.) Apple had no historical data on which to base manufacturing forecasts, and B.) availability of the large 10" IPS display was constrained (Apple even second-sourced the part).

For the iPhone, I'm guessing that availability of the "Retina Display" panel will be the limiting factor.

With iPhone revenue so much of Apple's bottom line, I will put my trust in Apple's senior management team that they know what they're doing. After all, I'm a longtime AAPL shareholder and they have consistently shown an ability to increase shareholder value.

No sense in me playing armchair CEO. It is unlikely that I would do any better than Steve.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I doubt it. Unlike the iPad, Apple already have three years of sales data for the iPhone. They know that they've sold 1M 3GS iPhones on the first weekend last year. This year they will definitely sell much more. I predict at least 2M iPhone 4s on the launch weekend (24th to 27th).
  • Reply 19 of 79
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

You also should blame all of the US for something I've said.

Do not put your lack of a global worldview into my mouth.

Take responsibility for your actions: don't push it onto others.

If you don't want ownership of your own words, keep your mouth shut. End of discussion.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I doubt it. Unlike the iPad, Apple already have three years of sales data for the iPhone. They know that they've sold 1M 3GS iPhones on the first weekend last year. This year they will definitely sell much more. I predict at least 2M iPhone 4s on the launch weekend (24th to 27th).

Just because after four years, they've managed to get the supply sorted out in the US, doesn't mean there won't be shortages and delays almost everywhere else as usual.

The international view of Apple's product roll-outs is decidedly different than the view from the USA.