Apple manufacturer Foxconn may relocate some Chinese factories

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

You have to be kidding. Do you have any idea what the American workers in this country are going through. Yes, I would pay considerably more if products were made in this country and there would be a lot more who could afford to make products made in this country if they weren't making minimum wage. What in the world do you think the people are doing now that used to work in our factories? Do you think everyone has become a computer consultant or programmer?

I think jobs leaving this country is one of the biggest factors for the state that our country is in right now. Growing up in the 50's and 60's, I remember how robust this country was and the reputation the U.S. had in the world for being creative and productive. American corporations have given this away - for the sake a money. They've said " to hell with our fellow Americans. I can make more money by putting them on the unemployment rolls and hiring some foreign worker for 50 cents per hour. Our American businesses are killing the goose that used to lay golden eggs.

Sure, American consumers will pay more for their computers to get out of China, more for gas to stop offshore drilling, more for toys from Walmart to bring toy-making back to the US, more for their mortgage interest so that they can whack Goldman Sachs, more for customer service so that they can speak to someone without an Indianized American accent....

You seriously think it's American businesses that are killing the geese? No, it's the geese themselves.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:

You have to be kidding. Do you have any idea what the American workers in this country are going through. Yes, I would pay considerably more if products were made in this country and there would be a lot more who could afford to make products made in this country if they weren't making minimum wage. What in the world do you think the people are doing now that used to work in our factories? Do you think everyone has become a computer consultant or programmer?

I think jobs leaving this country is one of the biggest factors for the state that our country is in right now. Growing up in the 50's and 60's, I remember how robust this country was and the reputation the U.S. had in the world for being creative and productive. American corporations have given this away - for the sake a money. They've said " to hell with our fellow Americans. I can make more money by putting them on the unemployment rolls and hiring some foreign worker for 50 cents per hour. Our American businesses are killing the goose that used to lay golden eggs.

The golden eggs come from focusing on what you are best at. Businesses that survive understand this. Other businesses (say like GM) fail to recognise the things they're no longer relatively very good at and destroy themselves in the process.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

without the rose-colored glasses: The economy of the United States is the world's largest economy, estimated at $14.2 trillion or roughly three times that of the next one - which is Japan. Gross Domestic Product is nearly twice that China. In 2006, consumer spending made up 70 percent of the United States Gross Domestic Product.

The U.S. economy historically has maintained a stable GDP growth rate, low unemployment rate, and high levels of research and capital investment funded by both national and, because of decreasing saving rates, increasingly by foreign investors.

Since the 1960's, the United States economy absorbed savings from the rest of the world. The phenomenon is subject to discussion among economists. In spite of increasing ranks of retiring baby boomers withdrawing from their Social Security accounts; the American population is young and growing compared to Europe or Japan. The American labor market has attracted immigrants from all over the world and has one of the world's highest migration rates. Americans have the highest income per hour worked.

All this means is that our economy as robust as it is, makes the use of lesser economies more attractive to achieve lower costs for manufactured goods. Conversely however, it also means that with a high standard of living even our poor and unemployed make more than the poor in most other countries. We have a lower incident of death due to illness compared to most of the countries we farm our manufacturing out to and longer overall lifespan as a result of our standard of living.

• Reply 24 of 67
    kwatsonkwatson Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Seems to me that Foxconn, not the Chinese people, are the problem. If they treated their workers better, made them work reasonable shifts, and paid better, maybe this wouldn't be an issue.

You are aware that Foxconn's suicide rate is below that of the Chinese national average?
  • Reply 25 of 67
    kwatsonkwatson Posts: 95member
    Quote:

I agree. Maybe China could relocate to some depressed area - like - just name some place - the Midwest, the Gulf Coast, etc... Our manufacturing sector is depressed because of the greed of our large corporations, including a company that I admire - Apple. There are many, many people in our own country that would love to have a factory job, if they were available. In stead, they are working flipping hamburgers or working at Wallmart selling products made in China or India.

It's not so simple - the manufacturers have to make cheap products because although consumers complain, they still buy the cheapest stuff - not from America. How many of us honestly always look for a Made in Canada/USA tag, and won't buy if it isn't present?

The problem is your fault, and my fault, and actually, if you look at it globally instead of regionally, it's not even a problem...
  • Reply 26 of 67
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Hey, Apple! How about moving the manufacturing HOME to the UNITED STATES! Gee, ever thought of that? We have people who need JOBS here, morons!

Will you be the first one to sign up to work 12 - 16 hours a day for $200.00 a month? (I am making up the hours - not sure how many hours they work per day - but the $200 figure was something I heard on CNN as the average monthly wage when they were given a tour of the place.)
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Sure, American consumers will pay more for their computers to get out of China, more for gas to stop offshore drilling, more for toys from Walmart to bring toy-making back to the US, more for their mortgage interest so that they can whack Goldman Sachs, more for customer service so that they can speak to someone without an Indianized American accent....

You seriously think it's American businesses that are killing the geese? No, it's the geese themselves.

Well, that's a Big F*** No. This sounds like some corporate plant showing up in the AI blogs.

As far as Indian accents reviewing our credit cards accounts whenever we call? That?s an easy fix. Ship those jobs elsewhere. Like Brazil, Philippines or Malaysia, somewhere where the people do not harbor this manifest seething disrespect and disregard towards Americans in particular and American prosperity in general and where wages are comparable or even lower and attitudes much better.

Does anyone seriously think the Chinese have any leverage in this Foxconn case or even the Honda case?? The mighty globalization gravy train will just simply pick up and move on from the Chinese and Indians who because they think themselves so smart will know how to fill an 800K jobs gap through farming hillocks and water buffalo washes.

My personal preference is for the Taiwanese owners of Foxconn to move these jobs back to Taiwan or Vietnam, Philippines, and as a back up Malaysia/Indonesia. Has anyone ordered from Victoria Secret lately? They out sourced production to Southern India and therefore lingerie arrive in the mail with a nasty curry smell bordering on the unmentionable straight from the bag. The last thing I want is for my iPod or iPhone to smell like that out of the box. At least with VC, one can wash the smell out with Woolite whereas I am afraid Apple is very much against water touching their electronics.

The only thing the Chinese have done with profits from off shoring is to buy new weapons for their military. And the Indians are following in the exact same footsteps even without prodding from their neighbors. Indians also lack modern ports or what we in the west might call roads.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

Hey, Apple! How about moving the manufacturing HOME to the UNITED STATES! Gee, ever thought of that? We have people who need JOBS here, morons!

Of course they have thought of that. These are not engineering jobs that are being outsourced like some company's are doing. Why don't you spend your time complaining about them.

We don't need more low income jobs. We have plenty of those. If they can do final assembly with robots and need a few engineers on staff then great, but that is Apple's call.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Well if the Chinese government looked into it and they say it's okay, I guess everybody can just relax... false alarm
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brontosaur View Post

Well, that's a Big F*** No. This sounds like some corporate plant showing up in the AI blogs.

As far as Indian accents reviewing our credit cards accounts whenever we call? That?s an easy fix. Ship those jobs elsewhere. Like Brazil, Philippines or Malaysia, somewhere where the people do not harbor this manifest seething disrespect and disregard towards Americans in particular and American prosperity in general and where wages are comparable or even lower and attitudes much better.

Does anyone seriously think the Chinese have any leverage in this Foxconn case or even the Honda case?? The mighty globalization gravy train will just simply pick up and move on from the Chinese and Indians who because they think themselves so smart will know how to fill an 800K jobs gap through farming hillocks and water buffalo washes.

My personal preference is for the Taiwanese owners of Foxconn to move these jobs back to Taiwan or Vietnam, Philippines, and as a back up Malaysia/Indonesia. Has anyone ordered from Victoria Secret lately? They out sourced production to Southern India and therefore lingerie arrive in the mail with a nasty curry smell bordering on the unmentionable straight from the bag. The last thing I want is for my iPod or iPhone to smell like that out of the box. At least with VC, one can wash the smell out with Woolite whereas I am afraid Apple is very much against water touching their electronics.

The only thing the Chinese have done with profits from off shoring is to buy new weapons for their military. And the Indians are following in the exact same footsteps even without prodding from their neighbors. Indians also lack modern ports or what we in the west might call roads.

You sound like someone whose job got outsourced. Sorry about that.

And, I am not a corporate plant.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Do you really think an American would last 5 minutes doing a job that makes young Chinese workers kill themselves? Just sayin'. Think before you post.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwatson View Post

It's not so simple - the manufacturers have to make cheap products because although consumers complain, they still buy the cheapest stuff - not from America. How many of us honestly always look for a Made in Canada/USA tag, and won't buy if it isn't present?

The problem is your fault, and my fault, and actually, if you look at it globally instead of regionally, it's not even a problem...

I do.

I also pay more for locally grown produce, and go to restaurants who use local organic stuff like meat and milk. Poppy's in Beacon is one of them (Paul will be on chopped on the food network soon I think.)

My wife doesn't like the idea of spending nearly double on groceries though, and clothes made in the US aren't very inexpensive, either. However, I pay the premium. Not many do, though. Why should you, other than to keep businesses in your area? That's really the only reason. If a farm decided to stop selling the milk locally and moved to Vermont, they might as well have moved to India, because I wouldn't be able to stop by and see how they are doing things. They wouldn't be employing my neighbors, and they wouldn't be paying taxes or shopping locally either.

However, with electronics, we don't have much of a choice: buy or abstain. I choose buy.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I am curious about a few things.

Sure the suicide rate at Foxconn is lower than the Chinese average. But is the suicide rate lower than industry average for example?

I don't think the outcry is unusual. Walmart's got something like a million employees in the US. If they had this many suicides in so short a timeframe, you can bet the media and government would be all over it. Nobody would be suggesting it's okay just because the suicide rate was lower than average. It's still highly unusual for one employer to have that many suicides, even if the rate is lower than average.

Anyway, maybe taking away the financial incentives will help them curb the suicide rate.

As for moving, India would be a great place for them to move. Though I doubt they'd get away with the same working conditions there. India is a democracy after all. And unions are fairly active there. At the same time though, India does tend to have large numbers of skilled workers available and Apple is one of the few IT companies not to have a significant presence in India. It would make sense to set up shop in what will some day be the largest consumer market in the world.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Foxconn is a contract manufacturer; they get paid based on production volume. If you want to increase volume by 10%, what do you do?

Think of the logistics of hiring, accommodating, feeding, and managing an extra 80,000 people. Think about the logistics of expanding production lines.

Ask yourself how a 10% production increase happens in the US. Do you like the idea of constant cycles of hiring and layoffs?

Now, say you are 20-25% over nominal capacity already. You have peaked what you can accomplish with existing facilities. What now? (Exactly what they are doing: diversifying into other areas.)

diversifying its facilities would not be necessarily ok for foxconn. foxconn is the only the final assembly factory while all components are coming from various parts of china. yes, if foxconn moves some its facilities to india, the over cost on its effort to ship components might not be favorable for foxconn. the same thing will be applicable if foxconn moves back to taiwan. so foxconn gets stuck in mainland china.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Suicides are not the reason Foxconn is moving operations out of China, it is labor shortages and the associated bidding up of wages.

If you find it hard to believe a country with 1300 million people could have labor shortages, note that due to the one child policy, many of those people are older.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    If Foxconn moves at all, I would suspect a move to Taiwan would map out better then moving to India.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Will you be the first one to sign up to work 12 - 16 hours a day for $200.00 a month? (I am making up the hours - not sure how many hours they work per day - but the $200 figure was something I heard on CNN as the average monthly wage when they were given a tour of the place.)

This is justification? Seriously, I have no idea why we let our companies ship manufacturing overseas. What does it serve us? The richest, most powerful countries in the world tend to be those heaviest in manufacturing. It was the US prior to the 1980's, then Japan, now China. The US is living on China's dime, right now. How is this good? It also depletes our standard of living. Companies shop your wages against the cost shipping your job overseas to a sweatshop in a 3rd world country.

Fair trade...not free trade! The US should start tariffs on all goods not produced in countries with a similar wage structure, similar pollution controls, and similar trade practices. That would bring the jobs home.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Those low cost manufacturing jobs will never return to the United States. They will bounce around Asia until wages get too high there, then move to Africa. Then eventually fully automated factories will be developed, and no-one will have those jobs.

The solution to the current unemployment problems is for completely new companies, in new areas, to open. But trying something new is a risk, you can potentially lose all your investment. People will only try it if there is the possibility of making a big profit. And that requires business friendly government policy.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:

Fair trade...not free trade! The US should start tariffs on all goods not produced in countries with a similar wage structure, similar pollution controls, and similar trade practices. That would bring the jobs home.

Don't be ridiculous.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Do that and watch how quickly US export markets dry up.

While a case can be made for labour conditions, pollution controls, etc. it's very difficult to argue that wages should be the same in every country and the US should only trade with countries who have similar wage levels.

Wages are a competitive advantage. Get over it. Some countries have oil. And some have people who can work for $10 per day.

By the way, you might want to start by equalizing wages across the entire USA first. See how well that goes down in those 'Right to Work' states.