iPod Classic Registered-says Format:Windows

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I exchanged my new nano for the classic because the nano was just too small for my hands.

I connected the classic (man, the usb cable stinks-for something that is pvc free supposedly , it reeks!) and it was really slow to get to the registration process.

I registered it and when it was done it came up in the listing, format=windows. WTF? I have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.

I am synching my music now and it is taking a lot longer than the Nano. I assume it'sbecause of the larger drive but it is REALLY slow.

Any of these issues normal? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Hmm... seems like you got a returned product as new.

Perhaps Apple is formatting iPods for Windows as default?

No worries, just enable Disk Use in iTunes, turn off "Launch iTunes when connected" and then quit.

Launch Disk Utility (in your Applications>Utilities folder) select the iPod Classic and Erase with Zero option, format HFS+ and let it do it's work.

The Zero'ing will erase any virus on it, eliminate the bad sectors, making for a more reliable drive and formating it for HFS+ for Mac's. (Zeroing takes some time, so let it work.)

Now launch iTunes and select the device and let iTunes set it back up.

(If the iPod disappears from your desktop and isn't visible in iTunes, just disconnect and reconnect, then launch Disk Utility. As you know you have to "Eject" the iPod before disconnecting from your computer.)

Do the syncing overnight when nothing else is running. Include all your content (if it fits) this way you don't have to do it so often. The Mini isn't a powerhouse neither.

My Classic iPod sometimes doesn't get updated for months, that's the benefit of large storage.

Do clone your whole Mac Mini boot drive to another drive once a while using something like the free Carbon Copy Cloner, this way you can hold option and boot from it if you need too, hard drive crashes, stolen etc. Also it saves everything, all your playlists in iTunes..

At the least use TimeMachine, better than no backup at all. But it's not bootable like a clone is.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Hmm... seems like you got a returned product as new.

Perhaps Apple is formatting iPods for Windows as default?

No worries, just enable Disk Use in iTunes and then quit.

Launch Disk Utility and Erase with Zero the Classic iPod, format HFS+ and let it do it's work.

The Zero'ing will erase any virus on it, eliminate the bad sectors, making for a more reliable drive and formating it for HFS+ for Mac's. (Zeroing takes some time, so let it work.)

Now launch iTunes and select the device and let iTunes set it back up.

Do the syncing overnight when nothing else is running. Include all your content (if it fits) this way you don't have to do it so often. The Mini isn't a powerhouse either.

My Classic iPod sometimes doesn't get updated for months, that's the benefit of large storage.

Do clone your whole Mac Mini boot drive to another drive once a while using something like the free Carbon Copy Cloner, this way you can hold option and boot from it if you need too, hard drive crashes, stolen etc. Also it saves everything, all your playlists in iTunes..

Thanks for the response. It doesn't seem like a return because it was shrink wrapped and looked like new.

I plugged it in again and used the restore function on itunes and it erased everything and then formatted to Mac. Putting the songs back on was very quick now.

Is this good enough or do I need to do the things you mentioned?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Now I'm thinking there may have been a virus/worm on the ipod because all of a sudden my yahoo email account was hacked and they got my contact list and all my sent email dissapeared.

This is very strange. Now do I have to buy an antivirus program?