Native iPad app library passes 10,000 milestone

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's iTunes App Store now lists more than 10,000 universal and iPad specific apps, with nearly 1,000 more being added every week.

According to a report by Mac Stories, Apple's iPad library includes over 2,100 games and includes a broad mix of content from digital books to productivity and news apps to rich media apps.

Around 78% of iPad specific titles are paid apps, echoing the findings of an earlier report by Moblix that cited an 80% paid mix in April when the iPad store first opened with around 3,000 titles.

A slightly smaller percentage (around 75%) of the iPhone's 225,000 titles are also paid apps. This indicates iPad users are more willing to pay for premium content.

Faster growth, despite Apple's approval process

According to a report by PadGadget, growth of the iPad apps library has outpaced the original iPhone App Store, which took almost five months to reach the 10,000 app milestone in 2008.

The site also notes that Google's Android Market took almost 11 months to reach 10,000 apps; that store has no approval process in place screening apps for performance as advertised or other quality control issues.

Google currently forbids Android tablet makers from putting Android Market on their non-smartphone devices, so there is no official market for Android-based tablet software comparable to what Apple maintains for iPad users.

In just 63 days, Apple's curated App Store for iPad has taken third place after iPhone apps and Android smartphone apps. PadGadget notes that HP's Palm/webOS, RIM's BlackBerry App World, and Nokia's Symbian platform all boast fewer than 7,000 apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    For those who believe developers are running away from Apple and their app store policies.
  • Reply 2 of 141
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,461member
    The vast majority of ipad apps are sad.
  • Reply 3 of 141
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I agree. prefix cr

The Netflix app is going to work on the iPhone 4G

Quote:

Just today, Steve Jobs announced that the iPhone 4 will include a Netflix app.

God forbid the overcharges that's going to incur.

Warning rant at link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-l..._b_604480.html
  • Reply 4 of 141
    Quote:

What do you mean by 'sad'?

In a related note, I hope next version of iTunes has the ability to distinguish which app is universal, iPhone specific or iPad specific when in devices' app sync menu (the one where you could arrange what to sync and where or what the arrangement would be). ATM, although we could differentiate when in the iTunes's app listing, there are no way to know when you're in syncing mode. Please sort it out for people who have both devices. Some apps are terrible (read pixellated texts especially non-Roman) when they are zoomed.
  • Reply 5 of 141
    That is a completely ridiculous article.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn;1651434

God forbid the overcharges that's going to incur.

[url

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-levy/iphone-4-now-with-price-g_b_604480.html[/url]

• Reply 6 of 141
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

What do you mean by 'sad'?

In a related note, I hope next version of iTunes has the ability to distinguish which app is universal, iPhone specific or iPad specific when in devices' app sync menu (the one where you could arrange what to sync and where or what the arrangement would be). ATM, although we could differentiate when in the iTunes's app listing, there are no way to know when you're in syncing mode. Please sort it out for people who have both devices. Some apps are terrible (read pixellated texts especially non-Roman) when they are zoomed.

Next iTunes version will do that.
  • Reply 7 of 141
    Quote:

Around 78% of iPad specific titles are paid apps, echoing the findings of an earlier report by Moblix that cited an 80% paid mix in April when the iPad store first opened with around 3,000 titles.

A slightly smaller percentage (around 75%) of the iPhone's 225,000 titles are also paid apps. This indicates iPad users are more willing to pay for premium content.

Sorry Daniel, I don't think you can draw such a conclusion on a comparison between as narrow a difference as 3% between 78% and 75%, nor can I believe that developers have been able to suss the preferences of iPad users versus iPhone users in the space of a couple of months. I'd say either it's a statistical bump or assumptions on the part of developers.
  • Reply 8 of 141
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Where are the trollers' comments about what percentage of the 10K apps are fart apps? On a related note, I wonder how an iPad native version of a fart app would improve it.
  • Reply 9 of 141
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That is a completely ridiculous article.

w h y?
  • Reply 10 of 141
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    And most of them are crap. Most of the apps on my iPad are iPhone apps.

Scrabble for iPhone - $4.99. Scrabble for iPad - $9.99.

There are few magazines and newspapers to choose from.

None of the SMS apps have worked for me.

If there are great apps, then it's hard to find them using Apple's HORRIBLE implementation of presenting them in the iTunes store. When I want to look for games, I want to scroll through ALL of the games, not just the ones Apple organizes into "Top Paid" "Top Free" "What's Hot", etc.

I couldn't wait to get my iPad. Now I find myself using my iPhone more.
  • Reply 11 of 141
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

w h y?

I wasn't even going to read the link until you asked this question, but I see many things wrong with the article.

1 - you can bump up from the 200 meg plan to the 2 gig plan mid cycle and then go back the next billing period, so it's unlikely that you pay more that $25 unless you go over 2 gigs. The article suggests you'd end up paying $150 for 2 gigs.

2 - the article projects data usage patterns in 2014 and applies them to today's prices. Competition and faster networks will lower the per gig rates over time.

3 - the article completely ignores wifi. Most people have wifi at work and at home, so a good deal of their data usage, even in 2014, won't be over 3G.

I looked at my own data usage history with my iPhone and I've yet to top 400 megs of data in a given month. I see nothing wrong with having the 2% who are using excessive bandwidth paying $10 to $20 more/month.

I do agree that the data tethering plan should include more bandwidth. Let the $20 charge there up the limit to 4 gigs/month. Most people aren't going to reach the limit anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 141
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Scrabble for iPhone - $4.99. Scrabble for iPad - $9.99.

when i first started looking at ipad apps it seemed in general that they were priced higher than their iphone counterpart. i was wondering if maybe the true price of development was now being reflected, or if developers might be charging more for the ipad version to recoup some of the money they didn't make on the iphone version, or if the pricier ipad apps were in some part going to subsidize the corresponding iphone apps.

it seems to me that development costs for an ipad app wouldn't be much greater than for an iphone app (especially porting an app), and it would seem that the learning curve is far less for an ipad app than it would have been for an iphone app.

observations?
  • Reply 13 of 141
    He makes a bunch of over the top assumptions and worst case future predictions to make a point.

Quote:

w h y?

• Reply 14 of 141
    At this rate, iPad native apps are going to surpass the total number of Android apps pretty soon.
  • Reply 15 of 141
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    The problem is that having a large number of apps doesn't mean you have GREAT apps. I mean, the apps that really shine, that really show what the platform can do. This week, Reeder for iPad came out, even though there are probably 6-7 RSS iPad apps out there. Sure, the other ones technically did the job, and some even looked nice, but I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me in that Reeder was the first RSS app that really had a developer that took his/her time, thought about how a user would interact with the UI, and polished it into something uniquely iPad.

The problem with a vast majority of iPad apps out there now is that they are either very cookie-cutter in terms of design or simply iPhone apps scaled up. It'll take months to years to get truly meaningful apps. And the iPad has a HUGE problem the iPhone doesn't have: a ton of space. And quite frankly, most developers aren't using that space effectively!
  • Reply 16 of 141
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    Quote:

Right... and all the Android apps are of the utmost premium quality....
  • Reply 17 of 141
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Despite being an Apple fan and always expressing joy at other companies' failures, I don't think this is very fair.

This is kind of like saying, the Playstation 2 had more games than the Gamecube since it could play all the original Playstation's games. Okay, not exactly an identical comparison because these are supposedly 'iPad' versions, but let's be real. How many 'iPad' apps are simple rehashes of the iPhone versions that took some coder a half hour to whip up?

And how many iPhone apps are much more than a $4.99 Dashboard widget? Don't declare victory over numbers. OS X vs. Windows is a perfect example of one platform with more apps than the other, but one with clearly superior offerings in key areas.

Flooding the market with lots of shit and no quality control is what sparked the video game crash of the 80s. Despite having a submission process the app store is vulnerable to this. Think about that when you hear people bitching about not being able to submit anything they want.
  • Reply 18 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

At this rate, iPad native apps are going to surpass the total number of Android apps pretty soon.

that doesn't mean much, does it?
  • Reply 19 of 141
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    I noticed there is a slight reduction in the amount of apps showing up on that graph around April 10th.. anyone know why that might be??
  • Reply 20 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

when i first started looking at ipad apps it seemed in general that they were priced higher than their iphone counterpart. i was wondering if maybe the true price of development was now being reflected, or if developers might be charging more for the ipad version to recoup some of the money they didn't make on the iphone version, or if the pricier ipad apps were in some part going to subsidize the corresponding iphone apps.

it seems to me that development costs for an ipad app wouldn't be much greater than for an iphone app (especially porting an app), and it would seem that the learning curve is far less for an ipad app than it would have been for an iphone app.

observations?

Market pricing. The developer obviously believes that iPad users would be willing to pay more than iPhone users. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd never pay $4.99 for the iPhone version but plan to pay $9.99 for the iPad version.