Native iPad app library passes 10,000 milestone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That'll change. There's less junk on those app stores to choose from. I'm hopeful Blackberry OS 6.0 will usher in better performing and higher quality apps. I'm due for a new phone so I'm torn between sticking with RIM or going HTC EVO or iPhone 4.

But why will it change? It's not like these are brand new platforms (with the possible exception of the HP-ified Palm). Blackberry and Nokia, at any rate, have been doing this forever, and they've had three years to respond to the iPhone and the idea of readily available apps. It seems to me if there hasn't been much movement in those camps by now, it's just not going to happen.
  • Reply 42 of 141
    Wait, if numbers are so important than the iPhone 4 has just a 5 MP camera instead of the common 8 MP we see now in the industry. Oh, wait, Steve Jobs says the iPhone 4 camera is better than the others...

App Store for iPad has 10,000 apps and the iPhone has over 100,000! More than any other app store. Steve Jobs says the more apps, the better!

It is all packaging and my recent app purchases have been more and more disappointing than useful. One of the reasons I have seriously cut back to maybe 1-3 app purchases a month (if that).

If Apple is about quality over numbers then the App Store is still in serious need of a diet. Cut more of the fat, Apple. There are plenty of waste of space and time apps that don't belong in a quality conscious store. I don't want to pay for lite demos. I would much rather support devs that know what they are doing and also know how to design something useful and pleasing to use. For an example, TapBots is my favorite app developer. Great apps with great features and (in my mind) a steal at what they actually charge for their applications.

There are not many devs in the app store that quite match that creativity and user experience thoughtfulness. There are too many no talent devs cluttering the store.
  • Reply 43 of 141
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

That'll change. There's less junk on those app stores to choose from. I'm hopeful Blackberry OS 6.0 will usher in better performing and higher quality apps. I'm due for a new phone so I'm torn between sticking with RIM or going HTC EVO or iPhone 4.

Yeah, sure.

Yawn.

Wake me up a few years from now. If they're still around in this segment of the market, that is.
  • Reply 44 of 141
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I'm betting on seeing some useful apps after the release of iOS4,but for now there is a lot of rubbish and very few apps that had decent amount of functionality. It seems that one of the biggest drawbacks is some sort of a file system.
  • Reply 45 of 141
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm betting on seeing some useful apps after the release of iOS4,but for now there is a lot of rubbish and very few apps that had decent amount of functionality. It seems that one of the biggest drawbacks is some sort of a file system.

What exactly do you expect from an application that is commonly priced at $4.99?

That's not even a six pack of cheap beer.
  • Reply 46 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

What do you mean by 'sad'?

In a related note, I hope next version of iTunes has the ability to distinguish which app is universal, iPhone specific or iPad specific when in devices' app sync menu (the one where you could arrange what to sync and where or what the arrangement would be). ATM, although we could differentiate when in the iTunes's app listing, there are no way to know when you're in syncing mode. Please sort it out for people who have both devices. Some apps are terrible (read pixellated texts especially non-Roman) when they are zoomed.

It does that if you have an iPhone or Touch plugged in. But when I plug in my iPad, how does it know that I don't want my phone apps as well? It's up to me to tell it to not sync them.

Are you saying that you don't know which apps are for your phone, and which are for your iPad? I don't have that problem, and I've got a LOT of apps. I guess it would be helpful though.
  • Reply 47 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And most of them are crap. Most of the apps on my iPad are iPhone apps.

Scrabble for iPhone - $4.99. Scrabble for iPad - $9.99.

There are few magazines and newspapers to choose from.

None of the SMS apps have worked for me.

If there are great apps, then it's hard to find them using Apple's HORRIBLE implementation of presenting them in the iTunes store. When I want to look for games, I want to scroll through ALL of the games, not just the ones Apple organizes into "Top Paid" "Top Free" "What's Hot", etc.

I couldn't wait to get my iPad. Now I find myself using my iPhone more.

I don't agree. I've got a lot of great apps. I don't mind paying more. It's not as though it's a lot of money either way. We're getting more magazines and newspapers all the time. Type "games" into the search box.

It's hard to believe you've got an iPad from your comments. It's certainly no more difficult to find iPad apps than iPhone apps.
  • Reply 48 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

when i first started looking at ipad apps it seemed in general that they were priced higher than their iphone counterpart. i was wondering if maybe the true price of development was now being reflected, or if developers might be charging more for the ipad version to recoup some of the money they didn't make on the iphone version, or if the pricier ipad apps were in some part going to subsidize the corresponding iphone apps.

it seems to me that development costs for an ipad app wouldn't be much greater than for an iphone app (especially porting an app), and it would seem that the learning curve is far less for an ipad app than it would have been for an iphone app.

observations?

Developers can charge whatever they want. With iPhone apps, if an app doesn't sell well, they lower the price. Same here. I've seen plenty of apps have their price go up AND down. It will reach the proper price.
  • Reply 49 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

The problem is that having a large number of apps doesn't mean you have GREAT apps. I mean, the apps that really shine, that really show what the platform can do. This week, Reeder for iPad came out, even though there are probably 6-7 RSS iPad apps out there. Sure, the other ones technically did the job, and some even looked nice, but I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me in that Reeder was the first RSS app that really had a developer that took his/her time, thought about how a user would interact with the UI, and polished it into something uniquely iPad.

The problem with a vast majority of iPad apps out there now is that they are either very cookie-cutter in terms of design or simply iPhone apps scaled up. It'll take months to years to get truly meaningful apps. And the iPad has a HUGE problem the iPhone doesn't have: a ton of space. And quite frankly, most developers aren't using that space effectively!

That's just not true. While some apps are just bigger versions, as would be expected, many are unique, because they can only be realized on a bigger machine. With some other apps, the iPad version is so much richer.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I think most developers want quick money?

I wonder how many first attempt developers are in the boat?

Perhaps it mirrors your society.

How is your country doing these days? Close to default? Possibly people there should also be interested in making money.
  • Reply 51 of 141
    Quote:

Not really, the percentage of junk is about the same.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    For those who are having problems finding stuff in the App Store, try this web site. I find it to be very helpful.

http://appshopper.com/ipad/all/

This keeps up with all the new iPhone and iPad apps as they come out. You can sort by iPhone apps or iPad apps. You can sort by most popular, or all. You can check each category, etc. I use it every day.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

This not Apple's fault. How do you search for good music on iTunes? How about a music store? The answer is you can't. You go on word of mouth. When you're dealing with this much content, there are some that will get lost in the fold. It is up to the devs to promote their product.

For me an example of this is Air Video. I found about this through an App of the Day website before most knew about this app. I follow many Mac sites and no one mentioned it. Then, all of a sudden, it blew up. To me, it is one of the top 10 apps on the App Store.

Let's also not discount the poor icon/ naming scheme used by many devs. A good icon and a tell-all name are key to catching the customers eye while browsing the App Store.
  • Reply 54 of 141
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

The problem is that having a large number of apps doesn't mean you have GREAT apps. I mean, the apps that really shine, that really show what the platform can do. This week, Reeder for iPad came out, even though there are probably 6-7 RSS iPad apps out there. Sure, the other ones technically did the job, and some even looked nice, but I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me in that Reeder was the first RSS app that really had a developer that took his/her time, thought about how a user would interact with the UI, and polished it into something uniquely iPad.

The problem with a vast majority of iPad apps out there now is that they are either very cookie-cutter in terms of design or simply iPhone apps scaled up. It'll take months to years to get truly meaningful apps. And the iPad has a HUGE problem the iPhone doesn't have: a ton of space. And quite frankly, most developers aren't using that space effectively!

...that you have a corresponding BETTER chance of having some truly great apps, merely from statistical probability. What does it really matter except for those whose attention span is governed by the shortness of their SMS messages, or the stimulus of their favorite game system, how many apps there are to search through? Anyone with two synapses to rub together can do searches to narrow the field of interest, or conversely rely on serendipity to let them "discover" an app they didn't know they needed.

As for the price of the first iPad apps out of the gate - of course early adopters and early apps are going to be higher priced - until the market competition starts pulling the pricing down again. Development accelerates - it isn't linear so those predicting long times to bulk up the iPad category are not paying attention.

Geez - do I have to explain the whole sunrise/east, sunset/west to some of you?

• Reply 55 of 141
    Quote:

Less junk - as in less apps period (therefore a lower overall crap component as a part of the whole population), or less junk as in not so many fart apps because the UI is so crap that no one would even bother spending the time to right a fun little toss-off for the general amusement of consumers and the universal disdain and blog fodder of the technophages?*

*Yeah, OK here 's yer language lesson for today:

techno- as in technology

-phage from the from the Greek phagein meaning to eat

• Reply 56 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

This not Apple's fault. How do you search for good music on iTunes? How about a music store? The answer is you can't. You go on word of mouth. When you're dealing with this much content, there are some that will get lost in the fold. It is up to the devs to promote their product.

For me an example of this is Air Video. I found about this through an App of the Day website before most knew about this app. I follow many Mac sites and no one mentioned it. Then, all of a sudden, it blew up. To me, it is one of the top 10 apps on the App Store.

Bravo str1f3!

I have several "interest community" blog-sites I review to see who has discovered what cool app in the App Store this week. Try using your own interests and the communities that support them to drive app discovery - far more satisfying than whining your evening away on AI or dripping snarkiness in the posts.

• Reply 57 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Wait, if numbers are so important than the iPhone 4 has just a 5 MP camera instead of the common 8 MP we see now in the industry. Oh, wait, Steve Jobs says the iPhone 4 camera is better than the others...

App Store for iPad has 10,000 apps and the iPhone has over 100,000! More than any other app store. Steve Jobs says the more apps, the better!

It is all packaging and my recent app purchases have been more and more disappointing than useful. One of the reasons I have seriously cut back to maybe 1-3 app purchases a month (if that).

If Apple is about quality over numbers then the App Store is still in serious need of a diet. Cut more of the fat, Apple. There are plenty of waste of space and time apps that don't belong in a quality conscious store. I don't want to pay for lite demos. I would much rather support devs that know what they are doing and also know how to design something useful and pleasing to use. For an example, TapBots is my favorite app developer. Great apps with great features and (in my mind) a steal at what they actually charge for their applications.

There are not many devs in the app store that quite match that creativity and user experience thoughtfulness. There are too many no talent devs cluttering the store.

... may not, in fact, be universal to all the other consumers of the iPhone iPod Touch and iPad - and therefore, you subjective analysis of what is and is not "useful", "fun", or "relevant" in the App Store orbits strictly around your preferences. Since when have you suddenly become the arbiter of taste or relevancy to the teenager who gets the biggest kick out of his favorite fart app? Since when did your taste in apps (TAPBOTS??!! ARE YOU FRIGGIN" KIDDING ME?????!!!! - kidding!!!) dictate the tastes and preferences of the widest demographic of any smartphone currently in production? See what I mean?

The more people use these devices, the less relevant any particular set of critieria becomes unless it is so broad that it verges on meaninglessness.

Here, try one of my chill-pills, they're minty fresh and mind-altering.

• Reply 58 of 141
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If these numbers are true, you would never know it from using iTunes. There is simply no way/GUI on there to get a "view" - or even a grasp - of 10,000 apps.

Speaking for myself, I have found 27 apps I like.
  • Reply 59 of 141
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    There are lots to find good apps - Mac and Apple specific websites and magazines, Internet searches, etc.

There's even a list on this site.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ipad_apps.html

People who complain they can't find good apps aren't looking hard enough.
  • Reply 60 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If these numbers are true, you would never know it from using iTunes. There is simply no way/GUI on there to get a "view" - or even a grasp - of 10,000 apps.

Click on iTunes Store, choose "Browse" on the right sidebar, select "App Store" from the Browse list, choose your category. Are you sure you want to 'grasp' that huge list of apps? Personally, I just prefer checking out the top apps every week for categories I'm interested in. I don't think I'm missing out on anything just because I don't know about ALL of the available apps.