Native iPad app library passes 10,000 milestone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I hope the entire sweet of iLife apps get lite versions that work on the iPad. That'd shut all those saying the iPad is not a laptop replacement up fo sho'. :-P

The iPad is not a laptop replacement, it was never intended to be, it's not Apple's intention or marketing push. It is a media consumption device, which will inevitably have the limits pushed more and more in terms of creation and application. But the intent was never to replace a laptop, this is a new product sector, not a replacement for an existing one.

And following on from losgofres' comment above -those who can't find apps really do need to develop some initiative, learn how to browse the store properly and stop making themselves look stupid.
  • Reply 62 of 141
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

10,000 apps and not one good way to sort through them...

So being able to see latest additions, highest rated, staff pics and sort by ipad/iphone and genre/sub genre isn't easy enough for you? Or maybe searching by title or keyword?

Crikey, life must be hard.
  • Reply 63 of 141
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I think it will be interesting when iPhone 4 apps start appearing, which utilize the full resolution of the screen. It's not far off iPad resolution, meaning you'll be able to blow them up on an iPad screen with little loss of quality. Gaming in particular would really work.

It could even spell the end of charging more for iPad 'HD' apps, which could very well end up using exactly the same assets as the iPhone 4 versions.
  • Reply 64 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

That's one way to avoid market fragmentation!

So, where does that leave devices like the Dell Streak? I am certain this is something being looked into. Standardisation - not just the OS, but the platform - will be Android's Achilles' heel. Therein lies Apple's best hope of holding it off.
  • Reply 65 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not really, the percentage of junk is about the same.

That might be the assumption on the surface. However, you're neglecting to realize that Apple vets the apps on its store and throws out the really lowest quality apps. I believe they said that something like 30% of submissions didn't even run.

Many apps rejected from the Apple Store end up being sold for Android - so the percentage of junk is probably higher for Android.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If these numbers are true, you would never know it from using iTunes. There is simply no way/GUI on there to get a "view" - or even a grasp - of 10,000 apps. .

So? Why in the world would you want to view 10,000 apps at once?

That's why there's a search engine. You can search by keywords to find what you're looking for.

Or you can look for the top rated apps in each category.

Or you can read computer and general purpose web sites for their recommendations.

Or you can ask your friends for their recommendations.

It's no different than any other consumer product. There must be thousands of different digital cameras out there - how do you select one? Hundreds of breakfast cereals. Hundreds or thousands of car models. Tens of thousands of shoe styles. Millions of books. There's no easy way to visually grasp all of those options at one time, either. It's a consumer-driven society and there are a lot of options. Learn to deal with it.
  • Reply 66 of 141
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I'm really loving my 3G iPad. It really is so much more enjoyable to surf the web on compared to an iPhone or iPod touch. I only use the 3G in emergencies, but it does come in handy in a pinch, and is so much easier to carry than lugging around my laptop.

I also love the environmental aspects of using it to read books on. I'll never buy another paperback again. It's truly a pleasure to read on. Being an artist, I've also begun to use my iPad in place of a sketchbook, and so far it too has worked out beautifully for me. Sketching digitally takes some getting used to, but with a stylus pen, the learning curve is not long. Plus it saves a lot of money and trees!

Having said all that, I am surprised that some of the big iPhone/touch apps have not been optimized for the iPad yet. Using iPhone versions blown up 2X is just not the same.

Where is the native Skype and yahoo messenger for the iPad? Come on guys! Chop. Chop.

Speaking of yahoo messenger, when the heck are they gonna add voice in and voice out on their iPhone and touch apps? Hopefully in the eventual iPad app.

Anyway, there are so many more apps that need to be ported to the iPad asap. Too numerous to mention. But so far, I am digging my iPad tremendously. It's not just a toy or status thing...it's fast becoming my favorite tool to use on the road to stay connected with, and YES, even create with.

I do agree with one of the posters who said charging moor for the iPad apps is kinda lame from some of the vendors....but I think as more apps become available, and the competition for eyeballs and dollars increases, the prices will come down. There ain't no reason to charge twice as much for an iPad app just because it's bigger.

Peace out.

wow

i want to get the iphone 4

but the ipad looks so great

i wonder if next year ipad will have video phone stuff on it ??

does the ipad do netflix ??? or stream tv shows from ABC WEBSITE ??
  • Reply 67 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The iPad is not a laptop replacement, it was never intended to be, it's not Apple's intention or marketing push. It is a media consumption device, which will inevitably have the limits pushed more and more in terms of creation and application. But the intent was never to replace a laptop, this is a new product sector, not a replacement for an existing one.

And following on from losgofres' comment above -those who can't find apps really do need to develop some initiative, learn how to browse the store properly and stop making themselves look stupid.

dude for many many income staved people the ipad is a laptop choice

apple tried to strangle that part of the ipad

but in the end of the day who the f wants to own a mbp and an ipad

maybe a white MB and an ipad will do ?? for some ..

i dunno

if your a gamer MBP is the only choice anyway.

the public made the ipod touch into a gaming machine

and the public will make the ipad into something uin expected also

maybe

baby

ps its looks like the desktop is dead

no ??
  • Reply 68 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If these numbers are true, you would never know it from using iTunes. There is simply no way/GUI on there to get a "view" - or even a grasp - of 10,000 apps.

Speaking for myself, I have found 27 apps I like.

i heard that most apps are local ??
  • Reply 69 of 141
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ps its looks like the desktop is dead

no ??

As long as you need a desktop to load up and sync your iPad, no.
  • Reply 70 of 141
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

There's less junk on those app stores to choose from.

So you're insinuating that because there's less junk apps as a number, that the platform is somehow better? Shouldn't that be a percentage of junk apps sold on a store? The thing is, there's 200k apps for the iPhone and certainly not the other 190,000 are junk apps. Besides, define "junk". Who are you to say that other people don't consider your junk their treasure? We all look for different stuff in apps, and the iPhone platform gives us a dizzying array of options of apps to choose from that competing stores don't really have anything comparable, assuming you don't just use your phone for Google services and Facebook (and I'm sure there's other popular services, like Twitter, but I haven't bought into the craze... for me, Twitter is junk), but also other stuff.
  • Reply 71 of 141
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

It depends. For some apps, all you really have to do is take advantage of the larger screen to show more content/detail. For something like this, a universal app that's the same price that the iPhone app is makes sense as there aren't significant incremental costs involved.

For other apps, there are significant additional development costs involved as the developer is trying to get closer to a desktop app in functionality, thus would want to charge more. ...

Larger screen size, while it does allow more functionality to be incorporated (but doesn't necessitate it), doesn't necessarily mean more development work. Designing for a smaller screen can actually be more challenging, take more time, than designing for a larger screen. So, given 2 apps with similar functionality, it might actually cost more to develop an iPhone version than an iPad version.

I think a lot of developers are charging more simply because the app looks bigger, and psychologically, people will expect to pay more for "bigger" apps.
  • Reply 72 of 141
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

For those who are having problems finding stuff in the App Store, try this web site. I find it to be very helpful.

http://appshopper.com/ipad/all/

This keeps up with all the new iPhone and iPad apps as they come out. You can sort by iPhone apps or iPad apps. You can sort by most popular, or all. You can check each category, etc. I use it every day.

Here's my list of Apps review sites, randomly listed. It's a bit wide-ranging, but at least there's more than the typical idiotic "app reviews" in the App Store; "Best app ever" and "Awesome".

iLounge\thttp://www.ilounge.com/

Apptism\thttp://www.apptism.com/

AppScout\thttp://www.appscout.com/

TotalApps\thttp://www.totalapps.net/

Appolicious\thttp://www.appolicious.com/

iPhone Savior\thttp://www.iphonesavior.com/

PadGadget\thttp://www.padgadget.com/

Yappler\thttp://www.yappler.com/

KRAPPS\thttp://www.krapps.com/

BestAppSite\thttp://www.bestappsite.com/

Touch Arcade\thttp://www.toucharcade.com/

Appboy Blog\thttp://blog.appboy.com/

iPadLot\thttp://www.ipadlot.com/

eBooks: Feedbooks\thttp://www.feedbooks.com/
  • Reply 73 of 141
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

I wasn't even going to read the link until you asked this question, but I see many things wrong with the article.

1 - you can bump up from the 200 meg plan to the 2 gig plan mid cycle and then go back the next billing period, so it's unlikely that you pay more that $25 unless you go over 2 gigs. The article suggests you'd end up paying $150 for 2 gigs.

2 - the article projects data usage patterns in 2014 and applies them to today's prices. Competition and faster networks will lower the per gig rates over time.

3 - the article completely ignores wifi. Most people have wifi at work and at home, so a good deal of their data usage, even in 2014, won't be over 3G.

I looked at my own data usage history with my iPhone and I've yet to top 400 megs of data in a given month. I see nothing wrong with having the 2% who are using excessive bandwidth paying $10 to $20 more/month.

I do agree that the data tethering plan should include more bandwidth. Let the $20 charge there up the limit to 4 gigs/month. Most people aren't going to reach the limit anyway.

My 3G usage while at home is really low - but when traveling is between 2 and 5 GB - with at least one month recently over 5 GB - partly due to netflix and partly due to poor WiFi in hotels I have stayed in.

While it may be possible to switch plans on the fly - that is really annoying - and while yes of course companies are in business to make money - if they had an automatic switch to the plan that was the least expensive for a given month based on the fact that if they can deliver 5GB of data to customer A for $25 there is no reason why customer B should have to pay more than $25 for the same amount of data regardless of what base plan they were on.

In other words - charge based on actual usage - at the lowest rate for that usage.

Or have roll over for data plan like they do for voice plan - that would work better for me - since a month of no travel followed by a month of 2 or 3 weeks traveling would likely average to less than 5GB per month - it would be near 0 one month and maybe 7 to 8 GB the traveling month.

or when I go to canada - an auto switch to charge an extra $25 (or whatever it is) for usage in Canada would be better than the extra $60 is cost me last month on a day trip were I wasn't sure if I would make it back to the states before a couple conference calls - I got stuck in traffic and spent 2 hours on the phone on the way back to the border. If I had decided to play it safe and bump my plan for that month it would have saved me $ unless I hadn't needed to make those two calls - then it would have cost me money.

Imagine how upset people would be if there was a toll road where you had to call ahead and tell them how heavy your vehicle would be and how many miles you were going to travel on that toll road - and then your plans changed and you had to take a different vehicle and travel a farther distance - and rather than adjusting from the price for 100 miles in a compact car to 200 mile in a mid-size d car instead they charged you the rate for a semi-truck covering the entire 500 mile roadway.
  • Reply 74 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And most of them are crap. Most of the apps on my iPad are iPhone apps.

Scrabble for iPhone - $4.99. Scrabble for iPad - $9.99.

There are few magazines and newspapers to choose from.

None of the SMS apps have worked for me.

If there are great apps, then it's hard to find them using Apple's HORRIBLE implementation of presenting them in the iTunes store. When I want to look for games, I want to scroll through ALL of the games, not just the ones Apple organizes into "Top Paid" "Top Free" "What's Hot", etc.

I couldn't wait to get my iPad. Now I find myself using my iPhone more.

Apparently you've never heard of google search or appshopper. GV Mobile+ works fine. The SMS apps don't work because of a SIM use limitation of the device.

Are you this clueless?
  • Reply 75 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Many apps rejected from the Apple Store end up being sold for Android - so the percentage of junk is probably higher for Android.

Actually not only is the % of junk about the same but many of the apps for both Apple and Android are exactly the same.

In many cases apps are not really true applications they are at best widgets that perform a minor function.

My wife and I both have the new EVO my daughter has an iPhone and is waiting for the new one. I would say 95% of the apps she has I have on my phone. Including games.

As for BB and Windows Mobile I do not see those markets growing but Android is certainly a growing market.

When you start talking about high level phones like the Nexus One, Evo and iPhone they are all quality phones and a purchase pretty much comes down to preference.

The only real reason I went with the Evo is because Wimax is very strong in the ATL area so I am almost always in 4G coverage.

With a free App I was able to sync my entire iTunes library on my Evo without any problems and I was able to simply pop out the microSD and upgrade to 32GB for 60.00.

Both operations systems have their advantages and disadvantages but I would say the iOS is still better. Not sure how much of an improvment I will see with Andriod 2.2 when it becomes available.

Also the new data cap with ATT was also a factor for me and my wife. With the Evo it is a true unlimited data plan because you pay an extra 10.00 a for 4G, there isn't even a 5GB cap on the Evo.
  • Reply 76 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

My 3G usage while at home is really low - but when traveling is between 2 and 5 GB - with at least one month recently over 5 GB - partly due to netflix and partly due to poor WiFi in hotels I have stayed in.

5GB per month would cost you $55 ? $25 for the first 2GB and $10 each for the next 3GB. That still cheaper than the $60 per month Verizon and Sprint are charging for 5GB.
  • Reply 77 of 141
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

when i first started looking at ipad apps it seemed in general that they were priced higher than their iphone counterpart. i was wondering if maybe the true price of development was now being reflected, or if developers might be charging more for the ipad version to recoup some of the money they didn't make on the iphone version, or if the pricier ipad apps were in some part going to subsidize the corresponding iphone apps.

it seems to me that development costs for an ipad app wouldn't be much greater than for an iphone app (especially porting an app), and it would seem that the learning curve is far less for an ipad app than it would have been for an iphone app.

observations?

Yes.

Yes.

And....

Yes.
  • Reply 78 of 141
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually not only is the % of junk about the same but many of the apps for both Apple and Android are exactly the same.

In many cases apps are not really true applications they are at best widgets that perform a minor function.

My wife and I both have the new EVO my daughter has an iPhone and is waiting for the new one. I would say 95% of the apps she has I have on my phone. Including games.

As for BB and Windows Mobile I do not see those markets growing but Android is certainly a growing market.

When you start talking about high level phones like the Nexus One, Evo and iPhone they are all quality phones and a purchase pretty much comes down to preference.

The only real reason I went with the Evo is because Wimax is very strong in the ATL area so I am almost always in 4G coverage.

With a free App I was able to sync my entire iTunes library on my Evo without any problems and I was able to simply pop out the microSD and upgrade to 32GB for 60.00.

Both operations systems have their advantages and disadvantages but I would say the iOS is still better. Not sure how much of an improvment I will see with Andriod 2.2 when it becomes available.

Also the new data cap with ATT was also a factor for me and my wife. With the Evo it is a true unlimited data plan because you pay an extra 10.00 a for 4G, there isn't even a 5GB cap on the Evo.

As your daughter grows a little bit older and more independent minded, from 5% to 75% say, she will surely appreciate the 150,000 supplementary choices offered by the Appstore, won't she?

When she hears her parents groaning and moaning in the distance, she'll know that Evo's battery is playing tricks on them. She'll just hum along on cruise control and reflect casually on the precocious wisdom of the silent minority.
  • Reply 79 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

As long as you need a desktop to load up and sync your iPad, no.

I think you may have missed his point......
  • Reply 80 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

As your daughter grows a little bit older and more independent minded, from 5% to 75% say, she will surely appreciate the 150,000 supplementary choices offered by the Appstore, won't she?

When she hears her parents groaning and moaning in the distance, she'll know that Evo's battery is playing tricks on them. She'll just hum along on cruise control and reflect casually on the precocious wisdom of the silent minority.

Actually the Evo battery life isn't all that bad. Like with any smartphone if you understand how to manage your device that makes a world of difference.

My entire family uses Apple products anywhere from iMac to MBP to iPads. So the fact that I bought a non Apple product isn't exactly a telling story by any means. I simply liked the Evo so I decided to go with it.

Its kind of like I have a Sony HDTV but if Samsung somes out with something I like a little better should I simply buy another Sony because I have one now?

I decide on what product I want based on my needs not based on product or brand loyalty.

The Android Market has 30,000 apps you would be hard pressed to tell me I am not going to find what I need in regards to apps. That market will continue to grow unlike the BB or Windows Mobile market.

Also as far as my daughter you would be shocked at what a soon to be high school student needs to do in school these days unless you have one then you know. She had a macbook and PC since she was 10 and was required to do either a Powerpoint or Keynote at that age.

I have had my Evo for about a week now and I charge it once a day, as she does her iPhone.

I am not knocking the iPhone by any means I just simply want to try something different. If I end up not liking it, its not like I am stuck with the phone forever.