Microsoft store to face off against Apple iPhone 4 launch

Comments

• Reply 181 of 234
    mikievmikiev Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Exactly. Most people probably don't remember how sad the state of Apple's presence was in the computer retail industry. The amount of FUD spewed by the commission sales staff at almost every retail outlet was quite unbelievable. One key to success in a competitive retail environment is of course: shelf space (other than knowledgable staff of course). When you're up against 95% of Wintel manufacturers, you're facing an uphill battle.

[snip]

Apple did the right thing to secure shelf space by putting their own shelfs into their own stores and hiring mac expert staff to deal with their customers. It was wildly ridiculed at the time, but the execution of their retail strategy is now considered a text book case for doing it right.

Exactly right.

I remember walking into those Mac "ghettos" and wondering how they expected to sell any Macs when I could overhear salespeople telling customers that the Macs could only run the small amount of software in that "ghetto". If they wanted to run/use any of the other software/hardware in that cavernous store - they needed to buy a Windows computer.
  • Reply 182 of 234
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They all copy from each other. Some more than others, but hopefully you don't believe that Apple always creates things first. I would say it's fact that Apple takes existing technology and just implements it better. They still copy the initial idea from somewhere.

Japan especially in the post WWII era was long known as a country based on copying designs and products from other countries, often poorly and cheaply. Then for copying very well. Then - at their (up to now) height in the 80's and '90's (approximately) - for improving on and extending the borrowed ideas.

An article at the time said they'd gone from being adopters of technologies to becoming adapters (and polishers) of them. Or that this had been their long-term plan all along (I'm old, I forget).

Always worth remembering that all of those who stand out, whether they bought, borrowed or stole from, or belittled or praised their predecessors and contemporaries, stand on the shoulders of those who've provided them (literally) a leg up.
  • Reply 183 of 234
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Wow, opening against the iPhone 4 launch. Microsoft is masochistic.
  • Reply 184 of 234
    This is one of the many reasons Apple has surpassed MSFT in market cap. This is a foolish move that will not pay off. Their opening will be irrelevant next to the launch of the iPhone.
  • Reply 185 of 234
    tiadimundotiadimundo Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Wrong. MS software is flawed by design, and in this day and age technology is supposed to be accessible to anyone. I am a techie myself but having to deal with these annoyances constantly is just frustrating, even insulting. I prefer to focus my energy on my work, and not have it wear off setting up the workplace. The day MS get's this, they'll have happy customers. Untill then, they're living off the win/office lock-in.

Haven't you heard of Windows 7? Comparing Windows XP with OS X is pointless. It is like comparing Win7 with Mac OS 9. A lot of people (100 million+) find Windows 7 much easier and more stable than Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 186 of 234
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danvid36 View Post

MS will fail miserably with their stores. They don't really have anything remotely interesting or even comparable to what Apple has to offer, both in terms of hardware and software.

No, they have the Zune, which many folks say is vastly superior to the iPod. MS will be fighting off the hordes when that store opens. I really believe that. Santa told me so and the Easter Bunny heard him, too.
  • Reply 187 of 234
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auauhh View Post

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][B]

Withdrawn.
  • Reply 188 of 234
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

We've just been spammed. Hello, moderators? I know it's Sunday and all, but let's paint over this graffiti ASAP.

So THAT'S what they're going to be selling in the Microsoft stores! Sneakers, handbag, purse, jeans, sunglass, hat and so on. Sounds like a great marketing plan!
  • Reply 189 of 234
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Haven't you heard of Windows 7? Comparing Windows XP with OS X is pointless. It is like comparing Win7 with Mac OS 9. A lot of people (100 million+) find Windows 7 much easier and more stable than Snow Leopard.

What's the evidence for that?

Granted, more people OWN Windows computers than Macs, but that doesn't mean they find them easier or more stable.

In fact, there have been endless studies comparing the two and Mac are ALWAYS shown to be easier to use and more productive than any version of Windows compared. I don't think Win 7 has been compared yet, but there's not enough new stuff in Windows 7 to change the situation.

For example, Steam found that Windows systems crashed 5 times as much as Macs (in terms of crashes per minutes used).

So where's the evidence to support your claim that Windows is much easier and more stable than Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 190 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikieV View Post

I remember walking into those Mac "ghettos" and wondering how they expected to sell any Macs when I could overhear salespeople telling customers that the Macs could only run the small amount of software in that "ghetto". If they wanted to run/use any of the other software/hardware in that cavernous store - they needed to buy a Windows computer.

Ha-ha, that's right -- as punishment for our beliefs, we Mac users once were relegated to the "CORNER OF SHAME" in these stores!

Funny how even the most "boring" Apple stores of today all look 100 times better than ANY of those cavernous glorified warehouses.
  • Reply 191 of 234
    "Why should they? They sell 7 copies of Windows 7 every second. It's the best selling OS in history."

Microsoft's Windows 7 numbers are closely associated with the number of copies placed, nee, purchased, by manufacturers to place on their PCs.

There is also the licensing income which keeps the Microsoft leviathan afloat. But that is another matter completely.

The second number would be non-Microsoft retail outlets, what's left of them, and available online sales. Microsoft gets their cut from this one-way-or-another since retailers and online companies must purchase these in volume. Depending on the size and value of the company, corporation, campus or store, Microsoft can raise or lower the price.

Three, soon to be four, stores in various high-volume malls does not drive Microsoft's massive marketing and money-making machine. Image improvement, sort of, yes, I guess, since imitation is the best form of flattery.

Something I learned in graduate-level statistics are you can twist 'questionable' data to fit your hypothesis. In this case, 7 copies of Win 7 every 7 seconds.

All this being said, I salute Apple for their success since competition against a near-monopoly company is showing signs of great success.
  • Reply 192 of 234
    mkeathmkeath Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

These idiots opened four stores in the same mall?

No, it is you who is the idiot (read the article closer).
  • Reply 193 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

No, they have the Zune, which many folks say is vastly superior to the iPod. MS will be fighting off the hordes when that store opens. I really believe that. Santa told me so and the Easter Bunny heard him, too.

(What, the Tooth Fairy isn't involved in this somehow? I'm soooo disappointed...)

As a side-note, Bill Gates was just shown in a pre-recorded interview on ABC's "This Week," and the final question concerned how he felt about Microsoft at present and Ballmer's performance. He put as much "gentle polish" on his answer as is possible without saying anything of real meaning (you'll have to go toward the end, past the obviously-political parts -- and watch out for that lousy volume control!!!):

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video...gates-10901308

Let me tell you, I never will think of Gates as a great communicator, but he's Ronald Reagan compared to Ballmer's Gerald Ford.
  • Reply 194 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troy.banther View Post

"Why should they? They sell 7 copies of Windows 7 every second. It's the best selling OS in history."

Microsoft's Windows 7 numbers are closely associated with the number of copies placed, nee, purchased, by manufacturers to place on their PCs.

There is also the licensing income which keeps the Microsoft leviathan afloat. But that is another matter completely.

The second number would be non-Microsoft retail outlets, what's left of them, and available online sales. Microsoft gets their cut from this one-way-or-another since retailers and online companies must purchase these in volume. Depending on the size and value of the company, corporation, campus or store, Microsoft can raise or lower the price.

Three, soon to be four, stores in various high-volume malls does not drive Microsoft's massive marketing and money-making machine. Image improvement, sort of, yes, I guess, since imitation is the best form of flattery.

Something I learned in graduate-level statistics are you can twist 'questionable' data to fit your hypothesis. In this case, 7 copies of Win 7 every 7 seconds.

All this being said, I salute Apple for their success since competition against a near-monopoly company is showing signs of great success.

Apparently you haven't taken a graduate-level business class that says if that statistic is persistent, there is a lot of credit to be had. Let's put it this way. Everyone I know on Vista or XP wants Windows 7. That, and people buy new laptops all the time. If that laptop has Windows 7 on it, and that laptop sells, the OEM will buy more licenses. Yes the way they report the data is a little misleading, but if they consistently report large numbers sold, that means there is still demand.
  • Reply 195 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So where's the evidence to support your claim that Windows is much easier and more stable than Snow Leopard?

More importantly, how in the WORLD can he claim that these users have had the opportunity to directly compare Windows 7 to Snow Leopard?????

I mean, seriously: how many of these people can afford BOTH Macs and PCs?

The dude's statement is nonsense.
  • Reply 196 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What's the evidence for that?

Granted, more people OWN Windows computers than Macs, but that doesn't mean they find them easier or more stable.

In fact, there have been endless studies comparing the two and Mac are ALWAYS shown to be easier to use and more productive than any version of Windows compared. I don't think Win 7 has been compared yet, but there's not enough new stuff in Windows 7 to change the situation.

For example, Steam found that Windows systems crashed 5 times as much as Macs (in terms of crashes per minutes used).

It's never crashed for me on Windows. When you say crashes per minute do you mean crashes they detect overall or per user?
  • Reply 197 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

Apparently you haven't taken a graduate-level business class that says...

Oh, yeah, that crap...

I'd put more stock in unicorns and Nessie.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

...if that statistic is persistent, there is a lot of credit to be had. Let's put it this way. Everyone I know on Vista or XP wants Windows 7. That, and people buy new laptops all the time. If that laptop has Windows 7 on it, and that laptop sells, the OEM will buy more licenses. Yes the way they report the data is a little misleading, but if they consistently report large numbers sold, that means there is still demand.

A "little" misleading? Come again?

(And people wonder how the global economy stands as such an illusory mess... A "little" misleading EVERYWHERE with the occasional whopper thrown in for distraction.)

Yes, virtually everyone buys apples at the grocery store or market. A much smaller number buy better Apples.
  • Reply 198 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Oh, yeah, that crap...

I'd put more stock in unicorns and Nessie.

A "little" misleading? Come again?

(And people wonder how the global economy stands as such an illusory mess... A "little" misleading EVERYWHERE with the occasional whopper thrown in for distraction.)

Yes, virtually everyone buys apples at the grocery store or market. A much smaller number buy better Apples.

It's a little misleading for them to report numbers initially and then report that those numbers are still strong and they are selling copies of Windows at a steady pace to keep up with the demand. It's a lot misleading to report those numbers once and then never say another thing again because there is no more demand for the product.
  • Reply 199 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

I wasn't talking about XP. Microsoft set itself the bar low with the Vista fiasco, no wonder 7 is selling like hot cakes.

So they got rid of the registry? Did they bundle Helvetica? Defrag still around?
  • Reply 200 of 234
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrillingwonder View Post

Microsoft is opening its fourth retail store in San Diego's Fashion Valley Mall

quite a lot for just one mall

So, what you are saying is that San Diego has more idiots per capita than anywhere else?