Safari Reader "Weapon of Mass Destruction"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Do a google/bing for either "Safari Reader Nuclear" or "Safari Reader Mass Destruction" and see what you come up with.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The first time I used it, my first impression was the impact on advertising too. The reader doesn't show up for every site though - that inconsistency alone would stop me from using it regularly. Plus having to click the small button in the URL bar or use shift-command-R, which is too close to Command-R for reload page is awkward.

It's really just another thing people want to complain about to have a go at Apple for no real reason like how some people feel oppressed by Quicktime being bundled with iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    It's not such a new or radical concept. I've been using Readability for quite a while. Maybe people are griping about that too.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    The blogger got a new asshole ripped for him in the comments. Notice how many times he said, "Thanks for your comments, I'll change the layout of my (fubar) page."

He has like 20 intrusive ads riddling his page, and using reader was the only way to make the content even approach acceptable readability. Needless to say I will not be returning to his blog. Ever. How on Earth do you generate repeat readership with a page like that?

In addition:

1) He splits his relatively short articles into three or four pages to generate more ad hits. This is cheating his advertisers, and then he whines that Reader means they only get one hit because users don't have to reload multiple pages. Waaah, waaaaaah....

2) He asked readers how he could possibly produce revenue on his blog besides using a subscription, micro payment or ad-based model. One reader replied, "talent". He complained that he couldn't get a deal like Daring Fireball has, because the advertiser that runs that model is highly selective. He couldn't put those two concepts together.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    You haven't addressed the fundamental question.

A subscription model won't work, because I can't afford to visit all the sites I currently visit if they all were to force me to buy a subscription.

The question is, no more matter how tasteful and non-intrusive their ads are, how are these sites supposed to survive without advertising? Indeed, how is, say, 90% of the internet supposed to survive without advertising?

Do you really want to live in a future where every commercial site you visit now for free is available only either through a $5-$10 a month subscription (or more) or through an iPad app?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The blogger got a new asshole ripped for him in the comments. Notice how many times he said, "Thanks for your comments, I'll change the layout of my (fubar) page."

He has like 20 intrusive ads riddling his page, and using reader was the only way to make the content even approach acceptable readability. Needless to say I will not be returning to his blog. Ever. How on Earth do you generate repeat readership with a page like that?

In addition:

1) He splits his relatively short articles into three or four pages to generate more ad hits. This is cheating his advertisers, and then he whines that Reader means they only get one hit because users don't have to reload multiple pages. Waaah, waaaaaah....

2) He asked readers how he could possibly produce revenue on his blog besides using a subscription, micro payment or ad-based model. One reader replied, "talent". He complained that he couldn't get a deal like Daring Fireball has, because the advertiser that runs that model is highly selective. He couldn't put those two concepts together.

• Reply 5 of 6
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can you give us some examples of the sites that the "reader" works so i can see it
  • Reply 6 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

can you give us some examples of the sites that the "reader" works so i can see it

Here it is.