Apple plans 5- to 7-inch $400 iPad for early 2011 - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    This "mid-size" iPad rumor reminded me of a thought i had the other day. The iPad is not just a larger iPod touch, the iPod touch is the iPad nano--it just happened to come out first. Or, this rumored version will be the iPad nano and the iPod touch will be the iPad shuffle!
  • Reply 62 of 84
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Another BS rumor - I don't see them needing to plug a "gap" between the iPod Touch and the iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Go away troll!!

Was it really necessary to quote his whole "post"?!? Way to preserve his idiocy for all...
  • Reply 63 of 84
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Won't happen. "The world" uses the A4 format, 8.5 x 11" is only used in the US. Apple will want to sell their products globally.

Apple has usually shown a strong preference for the considerations of the US market over the rest of the world market.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I think the more likely thing is that Apple will revamp all their monitors within the next year so that they are touch capable.

Making monitors touch capable is pretty trivial these days; making OS X touch capable* is far from trivial and much more important.

*In an acceptable, Apple-like way.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    The next iPod Touch is likely going to sport a larger screen. It's the next logical upgrade. Really, what's the point of having a Touch identical to the iPhone in size.

Here in Canada, the iPod Touch 32GB model retails for $329 and the 64GB model for $429. So next revision, instead of opting for the usual doubling of flash memory, Apple might well increase the size of the Touch to make it better suited to functions like, reading, gaming, watching movies and browsing. Keep the prices above as is, but offer a larger screen. Meanwhile the iPhone plus a Nano that is further upgraded would fill in the gap left by no longer offering the Touch in its current form.

The advantages of the bigger Touch over the iPad would be lower price, lighter, more portable.

If the existing Touch remains, it will be a problem maintaining sales momentum. The nano is inching closer, the iPad is now taking some sales away, and the iPhone is an obvious alternative in a pocketable form factor.

Give the Touch a bigger screen at the same price and it provide a logical progression in product offerings.

The nano would come in at around $200, followed by the Touch at around $350 to $400 (in Canadian currency) and then the iPad starting around $550.

This eliminates the negative implication of simply killing off the Touch.

It does make sense to not start off with this larger Touch because Apple wanted to establish a larger unit that was more of a departure from the Touch as it is currently configured.

If the competition comes out with 5-7-inch tablets aimed at costing less than the iPad, Apple would have that challenge covered.

Sure there would be engineering issues but if Apple can build a useable 3-inch Touch, I can't imagine a 5-inch or even 7-inch Touch would be a big problem. It's the next logical step.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    You can bet your last dollar that Apple thought long and hard before settling on a screen size of 9.7' for the iPad. When you think of the primary tasks for which it was intended, then the size format makes perfect sense. So I don't think Apple is going to make an IPad in a different size any time soon. They need the concept to take hold first. They'll follow how iPad sales affect IPod Touch sales and take it from there. I think they'll want to look at what people use their iPads for.

What interests me about the iPad is its potential to take over from the laptop computer for most tasks. Computing power is unlikely to be an issue, it is all about data input.

I am keen to see whether speech recognition and pen input make it to the platform. A bluetooth pen that recognises handwriting and worked in conjunction with the screen would be huge. Similarly a reliable bluetooth headset and mike for speech input would quickly make traditional keyboards irrelevant for most tasks.

Whatever happens, iPad represents a brave new world and even if smaller models do arrive, the 9.7" version will have great utility for some time to come.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

While there might be some logic to it, it is not consistent with Apple's current development system. They went to the trouble of adding the iPad to the SDK just this year. They're not going to change it that dramatically so soon.

If Apple intended for the iPad to be multiple sizes, they would have made the iPad SDK revision support multiple resolutions so that the developer could write once and deploy on an infinite number of screen sizes (like Mac OS X, Linux, Windows, etc). The fact that the screen sizes are locked into the SDK suggests strongly that the rumor is BS.

It's been a while since this thread was started. Since I've become interested in a smaller iPad I started looking into different stories about it. I'm one of the people who believes that Apple can end production on the 32 and 64 GB iPod Touch models and replace them with a larger 5-7 inch 16:9 ratio screen. I would prefer the 7 inch size running the A4 chip. It could be the iPad Mini or the new iPod Touch.

At the WWDC Steve Jobs announced that the software in iOS 4 could automatically rescale apps so that developers wouldn't need to worry about doing such work. He also said that if they would put a little bit of extra work into them they would look even better.

This opens the door to having a smaller iPad that would be able to run existing apps without developers needing to redesign their apps.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    wifimacwifimac Posts: 6member
    I would buy more than one midsize iPad, the very moment they were released.

This is the perfect size, no matter what specific size they end up being. Anything smaller than the current model, and larger than the current 4.3" smartphone displays.

It's all about portability for road warriors like myself. While I "could fit" a present day iPad into my bag, it's too much. Too big, too heavy. The iPad I have now is great for around the house, but I want a mid sized one to go everywhere with me. Even on weekends when I'm out and about, a mid sized iPad would fit easily in a messenger bag or backpack.

Let's get with the program Apple and put these on the street...

(don't look back the competition is hot on your trail)
  • Reply 69 of 84
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I totally don't see this happening. It would cannibalize iPod touch and iPad sales. Just doesn't make sense any way you slice it.

it would be a large wifi touch
  • Reply 70 of 84
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

it would be a large wifi touch

With the same problem the iPod Touch has-- a screen too small for convenient web browsing.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I don't see it (or rather, I'll believe it when I see it). Apple has the two extremes covered- the iPod touch has maximum portability (fits in pocket), while the iPad is the right size for laying on the couch or in bed.

In between those two is not a comfortable place. You lose usability without gaining portability.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I totally don't see this happening. It would cannibalize iPod touch and iPad sales. Just doesn't make sense any way you slice it.

It is called expanding markets and meeting customers needs. The reality is if Apple doesn't do it somebody else will. Something as portable as a paperback book would be extremely handy.

Dave
  • Reply 73 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I don't see it (or rather, I'll believe it when I see it). Apple has the two extremes covered- the iPod touch has maximum portability (fits in pocket), while the iPad is the right size for laying on the couch or in bed.

In between those two is not a comfortable place. You lose usability without gaining portability.

This is like saying that the publication of a paperback dictionary is stupid because a full sized hard cover dictionary is so much better. In many ways there are advantages to a massive unabridged dictionary, but that doesn't mean that people have put hundreds of thousands of the small paperback dictionaries to good use. Many people will have both available. It is all about the best device for the moment.

To that end a larger Touch would like wise fill a niche. Basically that is the niche that demands compactness.

By the way this would be an additional model. I do not agree at all with the people who want to dump the current Touch form factor. It serves a very important purpose right now. That being an alternative for people that can't afford an iPhone or simply don't want an AT&T contract. Expansion is the key here.

Dave
  • Reply 74 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Actually the iPod touch and iPhone with their tiny 3.5" screens are already becoming outdated except for those that are light users. More and more people have decided they want a better Internet experience, this is the reason the new "standard size" display has increased to 4" and larger in the new wave of HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia and other smartphones. Thus it makes sense for Apple to create a mid size iPad. Another reason, is to keep up with the competition. Their will be several this sized (6" To 7" Screen) released by other manufacturer's in the second half of this year.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WiFiMac View Post

Actually the iPod touch and iPhone with their tiny 3.5" screens are already becoming outdated except for those that are light users.

I don't think this is the case at all. The Touchcertainly needs a technology upgrade but its size is just about right. In a nut shell it fulfills the role cell free iPhone. That is it is an alternative to the contract and expense of the iPhone. It is no wonder the device is popular with students and others in challenging situations.

Quote:

More and more people have decided they want a better Internet experience, this is the reason the new "standard size" display has increased to 4" and larger in the new wave of HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia and other smartphones.

I think you are partly right here, they are certainly being marketed as better devices for Internet access. However they are not better devices for most pockets. Many people put value on size in this situation.

Quote:

Thus it makes sense for Apple to create a mid size iPad. Another reason, is to keep up with the competition. Their will be several this sized (6" To 7" Screen) released by other manufacturer's in the second half of this year.

The competition is significant here because as nice as iPad is I'm not convinced it is the device foe me based on its size.

From a marketing standpoint I don't think it will be offered up as a mid size iPad. Instead I could see Apple shift this devices focus closer to the gaming world. Yes it would still run iOS and all compatible apps but the hardware would be designed to better support gaming. Hopefully a better device for movie playback too. Thus we would be talking 16:9 or wider screen. I could even see this as a device that Apple tries to reinvigorate the Apple TV family with.

You see right behind the lack of RAM on iPad we have to deal with a terrible choice in screen ratios. Well at least it is terrible if one of your desires is to use iPad for video playback. I know that this irritates those that worship Apple but iPad is a very nice rev one device that unfortunately comes up short in these two very significant ways. In any event by marketing the devices as new Apple TVs, with a bit of extra hardware to justify that, they avoid direct competition with iPad.

So in many ways I agree with you, but I see Apple taking a different tach with marketing. Just as iPad really isn't an iPod neither will these devices be iPads.

Dave
  • Reply 76 of 84
    @ wizard69

I agree with your point about a mid size iPad not being a "better device for a pocket". I'm not talking about trying to put a mid size device in ones pocket. I carry my smartphone in my pocket. I want a mid sized iPad for it's lighter weight, and smaller size than the current iPad. A mid size iPad would fit easily in my bag along with my MacBook Pro, and other items. It would fit in my messenger bag or backpack I use on the weekends, or even a small slim dedicated sleeve. For me the highest priority is portable web access. A mid size device would find a huge audience like myself.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WiFiMac View Post

@ wizard69

I agree with your point about a mid size iPad not being a "better device for a pocket". I'm not talking about trying to put a mid size device in ones pocket. I carry my smartphone in my pocket. I want a mid sized iPad for it's lighter weight, and smaller size than the current iPad. A mid size iPad would fit easily in my bag along with my MacBook Pro, and other items. It would fit in my messenger bag or backpack I use on the weekends, or even a small slim dedicated sleeve. For me the highest priority is portable web access. A mid size device would find a huge audience like myself.

I was just trying to point out that the current Touch isn't to bad as far as physical size goes. Apple will need to continue to have a Touch device in that size range.

As to the midsize device I have to agree with your perspective and use patterns as they more or less mirror how I'd use the device. Ideally the device would do two things really well. One is play back movies. The other is function as an EBook reader.

Dave
  • Reply 78 of 84
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I was just trying to point out that the current Touch isn't to bad as far as physical size goes. Apple will need to continue to have a Touch device in that size range.

As to the midsize device I have to agree with your perspective and use patterns as they more or less mirror how I'd use the device. Ideally the device would do two things really well. One is play back movies. The other is function as an EBook reader.

Dave

agreed

also great size to whip out and check emails and surf the net

• Reply 79 of 84
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

agreed

also great size to whip out and check emails and surf the net

Agreed. Surfing the net is where the current touch and iPhone fall down for me. The screen is just too small to render anything but m.domain.com addresses without a whole lot of zooming and scrolling. In addition to being too small, the iPhone requires an expensive plan and the touch doesn't offer a 3G data option like the iPad.

Apple seems fixated on the current aspect ratios, but I think they could make a great 6-7" device with a 16:9 display. It would still be narrow enough to fit in hands and pockets, but be enough bigger to stand out from both the touch and pad. As an added bonus it would fit in most purses. As an even bigger bonus, the antennas could be on the inside

I'd been considering the 3G iPad with a basic data plan, but realized that it would get left home more often than not because it's not pocketable. The iNotePad, on the other hand, would go with me everywhere.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm not buying this rumor.

A portable electronics device, that is almost small enough to fit in your pocket but not quite, is not ever going to be popular when smaller and larger alternative already exist. If it can't fit in your pocket, it might as well be significantly larger.

This isn't a technological limitation or ingrained fashion sense. Rather, it is a phenomenon intrinsic to the physiology of humans and the nature of everyday life. For instance, doorknobs. They tend to be of a particular size and only rarely deviate from that size. This has always been true and will continue to be true until the end of time; or until our body shape or size significantly changes as a result of genetic engineering or evolution.

Edit: To clarify, this is in terms of Apple's typical product offering count. If they were to sell a couple orders of magnitude more devices, devices for smaller niche uses would be reasonable.