Money spent on computer technology?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Do you have some idea of how much you've spent on computers, peripherals, and software since you began using computers?

I started around 1980. This is just a rough estimate as I haven't kept records, but it could be somewhere up to $20 or even $25,000. I'm sure I wasn't able to think of everything I've purchased; therefore, I may be far off.

I'm not interested in how you think I may have miscalculated, so please forego your attacks. Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Likely around $80,000 for me.

Nearly all of it went to Apple when possible, even during the dark years, even more when Steve came back, I bought heavily then to get Apple back in the green.

So all you Apple troll fanboys thinking the iPad is a goddam computer and bitch about folks needing anti-glare screens can kiss my old MacHead @ss.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Likely around $80,000 for me.

Nearly all of it went to Apple when possible, even during the dark years, even more when Steve came back, I bought heavily then to get Apple back in the green.

So all you Apple troll fanboys thinking the iPad is a goddam computer and bitch about folks needing anti-glare screens can kiss my old MacHead @ss.

Thanks. We owe you and others like you a vote of appreciation. Without you old MacHead veterans, we might not have the great Macs now available. Apple may have faded away without all the older supporters.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Thanks. We owe you and others like you a vote of appreciation. Without you old MacHead veterans, we might not have the great Macs now available. Apple may have faded away without all the older supporters.

Thank you, I'm a crank fsck about Apple sometimes, but dam well frigging earned it all the fighting in the publishing departments to keep our Macs and not switch to cheap PC's. All those times we had to create our own hacks to make things work when software wasn't available for what we needed.

Hypercard, staying late at work on my own time programming Hypercard so we can keep our frigging Macs.

I was a artist, not a dam programmer and I'm programming Hypercard for free. SH*T.

What's really ironic is that Adobe threatened to leave the Mac platform with their suite of creative products that spurned the then Apple board to buy NextStep and thus get Steve Jobs back at the helm at Apple.

Then Steve spouts off that tirade at Adobe, calling them "lazy" etc., when he should just said the truth, that Flash was too strong of a software for his puny punkass 1Ghz iPad and would like to see something lighter and faster from Adobe.

But no...Steve forgets all about the past, how he got kicked out of Apple for being a sh*t, burning his bridges with Adobe who supported his creation all those years while he was away.

Steve runs and plays with Eric Schmidt, who turns around and fscks him in the @rse worse than soda water salesman John Scully did.

Then on top of that, Steve goes and plays with AT&T, the NSA puppet, and wonders why the fsck the iPhone, iPad emails etc are being hacked to death. Wow! talk about painting a target on yourself!

Then for the life of him, he can't insure the security of his OS or his programs, has to rely upon BSD Unix for the core (thank god for that at least) but then leaves the Safari browser insecure, leveling waste to any security the Mac had. A simple Safari exploit can read the entire users files and upload them. Snoop de doo!

Steve is a good at what he does with tech design, but he's dumb with people and security.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    He bitches and moans about and trashes every new Apple product, yet claims to be a MacHead...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

He bitches and moans about and trashes every new Apple product, yet claims to be a MacHead...

Yes a MacHead, if you knew what that meant then you would know where I'm coming from.

And yes I haven't heaped a lot of praise on the latest devices from Apple, namely the iPhone and the iPad because they suck, and AT&T sucks. But I echo what a lot of other people say about that matter.

Apple has a wonderful opportunity to be the worlds computer maker and shove Microsoft aside, but instead of that they are leading a bunch of rich tech sheep to slaughter with devices that don't do much more than suck the cash out of their wallets.

HP is laughing their arses off, because they were a printer company just a few short years ago, bought the nearly dead Compaq and now are the world's largest selling maker of computers.

And before you "market share doesn't matter, profits do" pundits come calling, I agree with that in a sense, but market share does count and allows for more influence and control, it can't be ignored totally. This whole Flash business wouldn't been a problem if Apple was selling as much PC's as HP is now.

Well to get the thread back on track, I don't feel a lot of people can answer how much they have spent on technology from Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Well, "You can't teach an old dog a new trick" seems to be true in some cases. Especially those where the old dog is woefully out of touch with reality in the tech industry. HP only a printer company???? That's a gem equivalent with calling a lump of charcoal a really rough diamond.

I've watched more tech trends come and go than I imagine SpotOn even knew existed. Plenty of them have been silly, several ahead of their time, but all of them have been worth investigating rather than bashing. Even the ones doomed to fail have something to learn from.

The tablet revolution has been coming for a decade now, poorly executed by folks that kept trying to put a full computer into something the size of a full computer and slapping a futuristic name on top. Those all pretty much crashed and burned. Apple finally got it, now others will get it too, and how we do daily computing will change profoundly.

The old saw "Science proceeds one funeral at a time" is too slow now. Irrelevance, which can be much harsher, comes far quicker when you quit accepting progress.

And oh, the answer is A LOT. Even more when I consider the business purchases I authorize.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by byronlewis View Post

So it means that from the day you started using all these things, it were been gifted to you by your father. That's really great. I wish everybody should have a father as you.

QFT. Do you always wear your jealousy so obviously? Give the kid a break. Lots of parents buy their kids computers.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    SE-II ~1700?

ImageWriter ~400?

LC-II ~1700?

iMac G3 ~1400?

iBook G3 ~1200???

iMac G5 =2000

PowerBook G4 = 2000

iMac C2D =2000

iPhone 1 =500

iPhone 3Gs x2 = 400

iPad = 700

iPad 3G = 830

So roughly 15,000?... Wow!

plus all the chargers, dongles, etc

I can't help but notice the prices have stayed fairly even while performance has skyrocketed. Taking inflation into account, these things are MUCH better deals now.