Apple rumored to launch retail store iPhone app on Tuesday

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple as early as tomorrow may launch a new app that will allow customers to manage Genius bar reservations and pre-order the new iPhone 4 from their existing Apple handset or iPod touch.

Two people who claim they were briefed on the matter during a recent Apple Retail staff meeting say the app will let users locate nearby Apple Stores, make Genius Bar appointments, browse a listing of classes offered at the retail shops, and "purchase and reserve products including [making] reservations for the new iPhone."

Word of the app comes several months after retail employees first dropped hints that Apple was working on a Concierge application for the iPhone and iPod touch that would allow customers to manage their Apple Retail Genius Bar appointments from their mobile devices.

Shoppers can currently schedule appointments and make One to One reservations via Apple's retail Web site. In addition to One to One and the Genius Bar, reservations can be made for personal shopping, workshops, youth programs and businesses.

Last week, Apple released a new app for developers called iTunes Connect Mobile that allows them to monitor their App Store sales on the go.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Brilliant as usual Apple....There are about a dozen companies I regularly do business with....Apple of course, Chase, ATT, NPR, WSJ, Redbox, Southwest Airlines (until I can get my own jet!) and most have their own App.

Should be a note to the rest of the companies out there! Get an App built and hurry up about it....3 years later!

It's not sufficient anymore just to have a website.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Never mind. I thought they were finally launching an iPhone optimized Apple Store. What's the hold up?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple as early as tomorrow may launch a new app that will allow customers to manage Genius bar reservations and pre-order the new iPhone 4 from their existing Apple handset or iPod touch.

I never thought about that before.

Did they use a web app previously?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Brilliant as usual Apple....There are about a dozen companies I regularly do business with....Apple of course, Chase, ATT, NPR, WSJ, Redbox, Southwest Airlines (until I can get my own jet!) and most have their own App.

Should be a note to the rest of the companies out there! Get an App built and hurry up about it....3 years later!

RIght? Sometimes they do things seemingly backasswards.

They still have part of their site dedicated to iPhone web apps which still isn't designed to be viewed with anything other than a desktop OS browser. I'd think it would have been obvious to make a site designed for looking iPhone optimized web apps optimized for the iPhone.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

I never thought about that before.

Did they use a web app previously?

You can check on your iPhone or iPod Touch if it's handy, but no, they used a website designed for a desktop OS browser.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Whilst i agree an app is a useful way of interacting with a companies content, it's not always in the companies control.

We were approached by a car dealership that sells a lot of car accessories online who wanted an app. They represent a large number of Manufacturers but met a brick wall at every turn of the process. Despite that, the manufacturers we're happy to allow the website to continue to sell their goods.

I mean would Apple allow Best Buy to build an app and publish it in the store so they can sell its iPods?

I think there's still a long way to go before companies really understand new media and what it could do for them or their partnerships business.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I mean would Apple allow Best Buy to build an app and publish it in the store so they can sell its iPods?

Yes, if the Amazon app is anything to go by.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Yes, if the Amazon app is anything to go by.

Well at least that's a positive step forward.

It's going to take a lot longer for some companies to even understand the technology, let alone allow one of it's franchises to sell it's goods through the app store IME.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

I think there's still a long way to go before companies really understand new media and what it could do for them or their partnerships business.

There's already a Best Buy app and you can buy iPods in it
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Waste of time. But I am sure it will find it's audience.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can check on your iPhone or iPod Touch if it's handy, but no, they used a website designed for a desktop OS browser.

That surprises me. Generally, they make things as easy as possible WRT getting customers to access their retail.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

There's already a Best Buy app and you can buy iPods in it

Ahh i see. Well that's ok then

I am in the UK, a small island in between the US and Europe
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

I don't understand why they would not. I think that Apple likes Best Buy selling iPods, and would not object to their selling more iPods.

I would not be surprised to see Best Buy iAds. And I would not be surprised to see a Best Buy app.

Am I missing something?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    I love the phrase "As early as tomorrow" as if a) it's a big deal, and b) there's some significance to the date and c) it's not already 2 years late to the party...
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Good idea. Hopefully the personal training appointments can be made on the app as well. It's a bit awkward to do on the iPhone at apple.com.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

I love the phrase "As early as tomorrow" as if a) it's a big deal, and b) there's some significance to the date and c) it's not already 2 years late to the party...

I think it's a reference to the fact that the official pre-orders for the new phone don't start until day-after-tomorrow (June 15). So that answers (b). (c) is not relevant.

As to (a), that depends on your point of view....
  • Reply 16 of 24
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

I hate your negative post. Negativity doesn't deserve equal billing with positive. You sound like a spoiled brat who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I hate your negative post. Negativity doesn't deserve equal billing with positive. You sound like a spoiled brat who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas.

My goodness. Talk about negativity.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Should have been on there from the start. How about some support videos built in as well? Maybe chat with a genius feature.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

And you sound like a broken record. Here's what you posted over at MacRumors on the same topic:

Good Lord! Must there always be some gnome complaining about everything under the sun?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think it's a reference to the fact that the official pre-orders for the new phone don't start until day-after-tomorrow (June 15).

I think you need to check your date/time settings. I am pretty sure June 15 is tomorrow!