Apple's new iOS 4 Game Center goes live for developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's Game Center in iOS 4 is now enabling user logins for the first time since the company began distributing the app with developer builds of the next OS for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Game Center is Apple's new social gaming network for the iOS platform, which allows users to login to an account, invite friends to play games, find other users to join into multiplayer games, track achievements within games, and compare scores in leader board listings.

In addition to the new Game Center app, iOS 4 includes a series of GameKit APIs for developers that enable them to add Game Center support to their apps.

Game Center prevents app developers from having to roll their own account, matchmaking, and leader board systems for each game, and provides a consistent experience for gamers, similar to Sony's PlayStation Network on the PS3 and PSP, Microsoft's Xbox Live, and Valve's Steam for Mac and PC users.

Logging into Game Center

The beta Game Center app only recently began responding to login attempts. Users now report being able to login via their existing Apple ID / iTunes accounts. Game Center also offers to set up a new account (below).

Once logged in, the user is prompted to agree to Terms of Service that are currently not available for review in the developer build. Users then create a nickname, and can enable "Allow Game Invites" and the option to allow other users to "Find Me By Email." Users can specify multiple email addresses.

The Me homescreen lists the current user's number of friends, games played, and achievements won, and provides a way to set a status message.

The Friends page allows users to lookup other users on the network and send friend requests by email.

Apple said it expects to have Game Center finalized toward the fall, likely in conjunction with the iOS 4.x update that addresses iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I have been able to login since Beta 1
  • Reply 2 of 26
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It's interesting that game center was not discussed in WWDC (at least wasn't on the stream I watched). Wonder why? Seems like a great new feature.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    this is going to be HUGE.

meanwhile Google stock is taking a beating. Estimates also shrinking.

"Now Everyone's Cutting Their Google Estimates -- No Wonder The Stock Has Tanked"

http://www.businessinsider.com/now-e...tanking-2010-6

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...tes-shrinking/

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...e-price-target
  • Reply 4 of 26
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    What would make this even bigger is if the iOS really does come to the AppleTV!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    If Nintendo isn't concerned - they should be!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

this is going to be HUGE.

meanwhile Google stock is taking a beating. Estimates also shrinking.

"Now Everyone's Cutting Their Google Estimates -- No Wonder The Stock Has Tanked"

http://www.businessinsider.com/now-e...tanking-2010-6

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...tes-shrinking/

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...e-price-target

Dude, I blogged weeks ago that the internet ad business had plateaued and that Apple was ready to strike on that a**. Google is a one trick pony that throws out ad money to play. They haven't got what Apple does. Under one roof Apple has the engineers in all disciplines to create everything from the ground up!!!!! They are one of the baddest tech firms on earth. Google is done kid. Done!!!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Dude, I blogged weeks ago that the internet ad business had plateaued and that Apple was ready to strike on that a**. Google is a one trick pony that throws out ad money to play. They haven't got what Apple does. Under one roof Apple has the engineers in all disciplines to create everything from the ground up!!!!! They are one of the baddest tech firms on earth. Google is done kid. Done!!!

I agree.

The honeymoon's over Google!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Google will still live on through web ads but Apple completely screwed them and eliminated any chance for significant growth. Because of what Apple has done, every other OS maker will follow suit and sell their own in-app ads. This is not even including that other carriers might follow AT&T and start using data caps and hurt Google's chances even more of trying to push everything into the cloud.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Google will still live on through web ads but Apple completely screwed them and eliminated any chance for significant growth. Because of what Apple has done, every other OS maker will follow suit and sell their own in-app ads. This is not even including that other carriers might follow AT&T and start using data caps and hurt Google's chances even more of trying to push everything into the cloud.

the data cap will also force users to disable ads to reduce bandwidth consumption.

bad news for Apple's iAd, but a DISASTER for Google since ads is Google's main bread and butter.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I must admit that I really don't 'get' what Game Center is all about.

I would have liked to see some Gaming APIs so developers can have on-screen controls that instantly switch to a cross-vendor accessory, like a D-Pad when attached.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    As already said, I've been able to log in and pick my name since beta 1.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It's interesting that game center was not discussed in WWDC (at least wasn't on the stream I watched). Wonder why? Seems like a great new feature.

Over 100 new features, they picked Steve's 8 favorite.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

the data cap will also force users to disable ads to reduce bandwidth consumption.

bad news for Apple's iAd, but a DISASTER for Google since ads is Google's main bread and butter.

1) How would the user disable ads in an iOS app?

2) I'm not sure it's a big deal. The iAd is a small banner. I assume that only when you click the iAd to enter the complex interactive mode as demoed by Jobs does the rest of it start to load.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    ituomasituomas Posts: 35member
    The interface looks very un-Apple, IMO. They could've done better job on that.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I must admit that I really don't 'get' what Game Center is all about.

I would have liked to see some Gaming APIs so developers can have on-screen controls that instantly switch to a cross-vendor accessory, like a D-Pad when attached.

Actually game center is brilliant. It is following the model of the successful XBOX live model. It creates the ability to use social networking to find and make friends online in the gaming community. You have a college friend in another city, you open up the center, find him and send an invite.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) How would the user disable ads in an iOS app?

2) I'm not sure it's a big deal. The iAd is a small banner. I assume that only when you click the iAd to enter the complex interactive mode as demoed by Jobs does the rest of it start to load.

i was talking about ads in general.

yeah you're right.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    I agree with the earlier comment that the UI is ugly and needs some work. The slider in one of the screenshots looks particularly out of place. And I'm not quite sure what's going on with the funny ?Dalmatian? background.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Actually game center is brilliant. It is following the model of the successful XBOX live model. It creates the ability to use social networking to find and make friends online in the gaming community. You have a college friend in another city, you open up the center, find him and send an invite.

I wonder if developers can/will start using it for other non-gaming purposes -- quick and dirty in-app social networking, that sort of thing. It's not immediately obvious what form that would take, but...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I wonder if developers can/will start using it for other non-gaming purposes -- quick and dirty in-app social networking, that sort of thing. It's not immediately obvious what form that would take, but...

They will ... just like we use GameKit as a communication device between two iphones.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

i was talking about ads in general.

Gotcha!