Apple's iMovie exclusive to iPhone 4, not for iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The mobile version of iMovie demonstrated during Apple's WWDC keynote will be exclusively available for iPhone 4 and will not work on iPad.

According to a report by Jeff Carlson of Tidbits, "sources within Apple" have reportedly noted that the new $4.99 mobile iMovie for iPhone requires the faster A4 processor in iPhone 4, but will not work on the A4-equipped iPad, at least not at the app's launch next to iPhone 4 on June 24.

Carlson wrote, "I suspect the app is tailored to the iPhone 4's higher-density screen, and therefore wouldn't work within the iPad's pixel-doubled compatibility mode," but Apple is likely to support high resolution iPhone 4 apps as running at their native resolution on iPad, where they consume exactly the same real estate on the screen as a pixel doubled iOS app designed for earlier iPhone models.

More likely, iMovie for iPhone won't work on iPad right out of the gate because it takes advantage of operating system features within iOS 4, which won't be supported on iPad until later this fall.

Carlson also reported that iMovie projects won't transfer to the desktop version of iMovie for additional editing, although the movies it renders are in standard formats that could be imported into a desktop project. Movies can also be directly exported to YouTube, MobileMe galleries, emailed or sent as an MMS message, in Medium 640x360, Large 960x540 or HD 1280x720 formats.

The mobile app uses videos from the standard iPhone 4 camera roll, so it appears that externally shot video could be used as long as it conforms to the same standard formats for video shot by the iPhone 4 front and rear cameras.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Obviously, the iPad ain't got a camera. Duh!
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

How should that effect its ability to edit video, it only effects the iPad's ability to capture video.

Makes you wonder if Apple will ever bother with a camera on the back, given the nature of the iPad and just put a forward facing one in for round 2?
  • Reply 3 of 47
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Considering that the iPad has a bigger screen, I'd expect a more complex version of iMovie for $10-15. I wouldn't want the same iMovie as the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    No surprise here -- maybe when iOS 4 is available. It really does not make a whole lot of sense, the idea as touted at the demo was to use iMovie and the camera together for a way to do turn key projects. Without a camera it does not really work. Maybe when they put a camera in the next iPad...
  • Reply 5 of 47
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    It makes more sense for Apple to develop this into a robust app on the iPhone first, based on the device's projected sales. The iPad is small potatoes at this time, relative to iPhone sales.

Without a doubt, Apple will offer an iPad version of iMovie in time. Maybe when there's a camera in a future version of the hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Considering that the iPad has a bigger screen, I'd expect a more complex version of iMovie for $10-15. I wouldn't want the same iMovie as the iPhone.

You really want something more complex? I assume you are relating complexity to power here -- remember what processor the iPad is using. Maybe when Apple goes to a multicore chip.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    We'll see iMovie on the iPad eventually... With more functionality, made especially for the iPad and a lot closer to the desktop version.

I wouldn't want the iPhone iMovie on the iPad anyways.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Apple's iMovie exclusive to iPhone 4, not for iPad

This author has lost what little journalistic credentials he had, if any!

iMovie, User Multi-tasking, in-device notifications... and all the other stuff supported in iOS 4 won't be available for the iPad... until iOS 4 is available for the iPad!

Well, Duh!.

Steve Jobs was recently quoted at D8, saying that the iPad would be used for content creation apps like "video editing".

• Reply 9 of 47
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You really want something more complex? I assume you are relating complexity to power here -- remember what processor the iPad is using. Maybe when Apple goes to a multicore chip.

I'm not asking for features like the digital image stabilizer that the Mac version has and I'm not even sure of the features the iPhone version has yet. I don't think it's to complex, though you could be right, to add (if it's not there in the iPhone version):

-more transitions and themes (even in-app purchases of them)

-be able to join two or more clips together

-audio adjument features and abilty to use more than one song for a video

I could always use my iMac but it would be nice to have it on the iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I completely agree. I personally think it will be part of an entire iLife suite for iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

And how is not having a camera on the iPad any influence on its ability to work with movies. DUH!
  • Reply 12 of 47
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

And how is not having a camera on the iPad any influence on its ability to work with movies. DUH!

None, but Joe Consumer probably wouldn't bother transferring movies from another device to the iPad for editing.

After all, the iPad has only been less than two months. iMovie on the iPad will be more meaningful when Apple has sold ten, twenty, thirty million of them. The presence of an on-board camera might help, but really the iPad would need a faster interface than USB 2.0.

Also, it appears that the iPad doesn't have a better processor (nor more memory) than the iPhone. While the iPad offers more screen real estate, it doesn't offer much else in terms of computing resources vis-a-vis the upcoming iPhone. The typical user will probably find video editing to be more useful on a PC. My dual-core 2GHz MacBook (2GB RAM) is almost four years old, and I can't say that I'd be enthusiastic editing video on a single-core 1GHz media tablet with 256MB RAM.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    No thank you. I don't want to bother copying the clips into my iPad for editing. I would rather do it on desktop unless the editing device is the capture devise itself. That rule out iPad until it came with a camera. Obviously iPhone fit the bill. Who's with me?
  • Reply 14 of 47
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Indeed. And three more words "Camera Connection Kit"

Would anyone seriously consider taking photos and movies by waving something the size of an iPad about.. backwards? Think about it. Does anyone use a laptop to shoot photos or movies? iPad would make a great way to process movies on the go from proper cameras, videocameras, etc..
  • Reply 15 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Bah
  • Reply 16 of 47
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    That's too bad....I find it hard to believe that the processor isn't powerful enough, there are some decent 3GS video editors already out there......Hi-def only? Not sure about that either, I'm sure for iPhone 4 there must be non-hi-def export settings for YouTube and email options....
  • Reply 17 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

You think the A4 is not going to move to the ARM 9 structure next time around?

We're at the 1GHz threshold and the typical CPU for the Cortex A9 is 2Ghz. Apple will jump to a custom A5 or whatever they call it that takes advantage of that frequency and improves upon it's already stellar effciency in power consumption.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

None, but Joe Consumer probably wouldn't bother transferring movies from another device to the iPad for editing.

After all, the iPad has only been less than two months. iMovie on the iPad will be more meaningful when Apple has sold ten, twenty, thirty million of them. The presence of an on-board camera might help, but really the iPad would need a faster interface than USB 2.0.

Also, it appears that the iPad doesn't have a better processor (nor more memory) than the iPhone. While the iPad offers more screen real estate, it doesn't offer much else in terms of computing resources vis-a-vis the upcoming iPhone. The typical user will probably find video editing to be more useful on a PC. My dual-core 2GHz MacBook (2GB RAM) is almost four years old, and I can't say that I'd be enthusiastic editing video on a single-core 1GHz media tablet with 256MB RAM.

1) Connect the iPhone to the iPad via the CCK

2) Start the Photos app on the iPad

3) Start the Camera app on the Iphone

The iPhone Camera Roll thumbnails appear in the iPad Photos Camera Tab

You can mark individual items for import or import all

As you take additional photos or video clips, they immediately appear at the bottom of the iPad thumbnails and can be imported as above.

It is a very workable arrangement (especially if you are out and about for a while).

When iMovie becomes available for the iPad, I suspect you will have a quite powerful and very convenient mobile, consumer-level video editing platform.

• Reply 19 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If this app is going to as popular as I think it will and they update iMovie for Mac OS to allow import of projects I have to think this could help sell a few Macs.

Quote:

I think str1f3's comment is not only valid but on target. Even with the iPad's Settings, you have a more complex setup simply by having a column feature that you can't feasibly get with the iPad.

All that extra real estate for two hand video editing seems ideal to me. I also expect the iPhone's A4 will not be running at 1GHz which could make the iPad's iMovie a better choice for some users.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL-- Love your new sig!