Microsoft paying iPhone devs to make Windows Phone 7 games

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    tiadimundotiadimundo Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

wait?

you mean the development platform will not be visual studio? wow. that's news to me.

Sure it is Visual Studio! And it's not the same XNA development technology like the Zune HD uses. It's not compatible with the Zune HD. But for me it is obvious that they will upgrade the Zune platform to the same version of XNA and the underlying OS (Windows Compact Embedded 7) later so that developers can create ONE game, that will play on XBox 360, Zune and Windows Phone.

Silverlight apps will run on almost every platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, Windows Phones, Windows Tablets and then Zune).

I think it's a very interesting approach!
  • Reply 42 of 61
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    the 4G seems to be a huge game changer. With WInMob 6.5 already in the 'also ran" category, it's hard to imagine that WinMob will capture much more than the Zune's anaemic < 5% market share by the time it launches, and knowing that MS launches with buggy software, it may not go well. To do better than 5%, the phone would have to be something really incredible (e.g., doubles as a skateboard and Allen key) or it would need to have a large base of users that trust MS already.

I don't see that happening

In fact, what I see is MS pulling the stores, the Zune and WInMob7 by 2012, as cost-saving measures
  • Reply 43 of 61
    First, if you can't beat 'em buy 'em.

Second:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The site says the costs of reworking games "remains too high," as it involves moving native iOS apps from C/C++/Objective-C code to the Mobile Silverlight/XNA development frameworks that Windows Phone 7 uses.

"The costs of reworking games remains too high" is an understatement as massive as Ballmer's lard basket.

Developers would be better off re-writing their apps for WP7. Ballmer has no place in this industry if he thinks apps can merely be "ported" off the iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You don't quite understand. The idea is to actually get the phone out there.

Giving them away would still result in nobody having one because no one would take one for free.

I'm fairly sure people would take them for free. The problem is, it's not exactly a good sell to your stockholders to say, oh sorry, we're losing $300-400 a phone to give away so we can keep Apple out of the market and lose our shirts in the process Yes, they would have the market share at that point, but at what cost? Bankruptcy?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

The problem is that this is not the case for the iOS platform. If what you say is true (I don't know anything about the gaming industry) it appears to me that Apple changed the rules of the game for the portable game market and MS is still applying the console platform rules to the mobile game new industry. And I have the impression developers have a complete different set of expectations here.

Apple didn't change the rules, they created a new market. I call it "ultra casual".

At the moment the iPhone is packed full of shovelware. I don't think Microsoft need (or would want) to replicate that as you don't need 1000 different versions of roll-the-ball-through-the-maze to make a good gaming platform.

The key to a good gaming platform is the list of high quality exclusives. Apple have a handful of high quality games, but as far as I know none are them are guaranteed exclusive.

If Microsoft's Xbox platform is anything to go by they will pay for the high quality games to be ported, pay developers to make new games WP7 exclusive, and develop their own high quality exclusives in-house.

What we would end up with is an Apple gaming platform with thousands and thousands of "ultra casual" games (some good, most shovelware) and a Microsoft gaming platform with just a few hundred quality game titles.

Apple need to start paying developers for high quality exclusives and maybe even start their own in-house game development.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    This article immediately calls to mind the following combination of truth and whimsy from the latest episode of "Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!" - the lighthearted National Public Radio weekly panel show.

Host Peter Sagal: "The New York Daily News examined the iPads that are on display at one New York City Apple store, and they found unusually high quantities of a variety of nasty bacteria on them. Apple puts out dozens of these magical devices on display, and thousands of filthy New Yorkers put their filthy hands on them every day. One microbiologist advised using hand sanitizer before going near them and to use Windows-based tablet computers because no one ever touches them."
  • Reply 47 of 61
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    The "Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!" June 12 segment continues with the following dialogue between Peter Sagal and one of the panelists, comedienne Paula Poundstone:

Sagal: “Because remember folks, when you touch a touchscreen, you're touching everyone that touchscreen has ever touched.”

Ms. Poundstone: “But wait a minute, I don't get this. I thought you said the New York Daily News figured this out.”

Sagal: “Yeah.”

Ms. Poundstone: “So, you know, I'm used to seeing a journalist with maybe a microphone.”

Sagal: “They've got swabs. They go in - they went into the iPad in the Apple store and they swabbed these things. They tested it for bacteria.”

Ms. Poundstone: “What a weird thing to do.”

Sagal: “Well...”

Ms. Poundstone: “It just wouldn't even occur to me. Well I've been interviewed before and no one ever swabbed me.”

Sagal: “Now many Apple fans are turned off by this discovery but the company -you know Apple, they've got a proactive strategy. They're going to announce in just a few months their new product, iBola.”
  • Reply 48 of 61
    mkeathmkeath Posts: 60member
    Quote:

The problem is that this is not the case for the iOS platform. If what you say is true (I don't know anything about the gaming industry) it appears to me that Apple changed the rules of the game for the portable game market and MS is still applying the console platform rules to the mobile game new industry. And I have the impression developers have a complete different set of expectations here.

This is simply business. AT&T pays apple for exclusivity for the iPhone and Microsoft is paying developers so that they have a decent app portfolio out of the gate. It's nothing new.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    You can pay the cool kids to come to your party, but don't expect them to hang out with you once they arrive.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    So which is it?

"As it prepares to relaunch Windows Mobile 6.x as the new Windows Phone 7"

or

"With Windows Phone 7, Microsoft is starting from scratch"

Man what a iFan panties in a knot hit piece. They are not relaunching WinMO...NONE of the WinMO software will run on Windows Phone.

Comparing software running this device or the iPhone to games not on the Mac is a joke. The Zune never had a chance because when it finally got better hardware and software (iTunes vs Zune software) than the iPod, people had already started moving off of dedicated MP3 players. iPod sales have been declining slowy over the last year or so.

If Microsoft uses the Zune store, and gets enough developers for this device it will not over take the iPhone but it will put a dent in sales. Windows Phone 7 will be on multiple devices per carrier, just like WinMO and Android. The good stuff about the Zune, will be on these phones, like the UI, the Zune pass and a FM radio.

The iPhone is going to top out if it has not already and Android is going to pass it, and Windows Phone 7 is going to eat at its heals. The party is over iFan's, this time next year iPhone will be outsold by Android every quarter and Windows Phone 7 will probably bring Microsoft back in the game.

Apple is abaondoning the Mac for iOS and that is a risky gamble.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

The way I see it, MS will try to pay to tie some of tallented developers to their platform (like they did with Bungie, or like Sony did with Insomniac and others).

Considering that mobile games are not making a lot of money, it shouldn't be such a hard task.

Of course mobile platform is different from consoles, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some good iPhone developers turning WP7 exclusive over night.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Nonsense. Apple is no more abandoning the Mac than Microsoft is abandoning the PC.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

My thoughts exactly!

They have very DEEP POCKETS and the interest alone on one day would have to be in thevmillions.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Apple didn't change the rules, they created a new market. I call it "ultra casual".

At the moment the iPhone is packed full of shovelware. I don't think Microsoft need (or would want) to replicate that as you don't need 1000 different versions of roll-the-ball-through-the-maze to make a good gaming platform.

The key to a good gaming platform is the list of high quality exclusives. Apple have a handful of high quality games, but as far as I know none are them are guaranteed exclusive.

If Microsoft's Xbox platform is anything to go by they will pay for the high quality games to be ported, pay developers to make new games WP7 exclusive, and develop their own high quality exclusives in-house.

What we would end up with is an Apple gaming platform with thousands and thousands of "ultra casual" games (some good, most shovelware) and a Microsoft gaming platform with just a few hundred quality game titles.

Apple need to start paying developers for high quality exclusives and maybe even start their own in-house game development.

Interesting point. But then what you are saying is that MS wants to differentiate WM7 from iOS by making it an "elite" gaming platform. For a device that is used primarily by business customers, this makes as much strategic sense as selling candy-floss at the dentist waiting room. What's the point?
  • Reply 55 of 61
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Interesting point. But then what you are saying is that MS wants to differentiate WM7 from iOS by making it an "elite" gaming platform. For a device that is used primarily by business customers, this makes as much strategic sense as selling candy-floss at the dentist waiting room. What's the point?

Whilst it's easy to look at past trends and make predictions it's not so easy to be inside the mind of a Microsoft executive. So the short answer is that I can't really say for sure.

However, assuming they are allowed to install custom applications I would guess a business customer would appreciate a quality game as much as the next person. If they aren't allowed to install custom applications they don't really matter as far as game sales go.

In either case a solid game library isn't going to take away from the business functionality of the phone.

I would also guess that since WP7 has somewhere between 0% and 0% of the smart phone mind share Microsoft would be trying to tap into the 40+ million Xbox 360 users around the globe.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You don't quite understand. The idea is to actually get the phone out there.

Giving them away would still result in nobody having one because no one would take one for free.

But even paying people to have one would not work. You would have to pay me to have one, pay me more to use one and pay me even more to be seen in public using one.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    dsectdsect Posts: 25member
    Quote:

So which is it?

or

Man what a iFan panties in a knot hit piece. They are not relaunching WinMO...NONE of the WinMO software will run on Windows Phone.

Comparing software running this device or the iPhone to games not on the Mac is a joke. The Zune never had a chance because when it finally got better hardware and software (iTunes vs Zune software) than the iPod, people had already started moving off of dedicated MP3 players. iPod sales have been declining slowy over the last year or so.

If Microsoft uses the Zune store, and gets enough developers for this device it will not over take the iPhone but it will put a dent in sales. Windows Phone 7 will be on multiple devices per carrier, just like WinMO and Android. The good stuff about the Zune, will be on these phones, like the UI, the Zune pass and a FM radio.

The iPhone is going to top out if it has not already and Android is going to pass it, and Windows Phone 7 is going to eat at its heals. The party is over iFan's, this time next year iPhone will be outsold by Android every quarter and Windows Phone 7 will probably bring Microsoft back in the game.

So, does Microsoft pay you by the word?
  • Reply 58 of 61
    dsectdsect Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

The way I see it, MS will try to pay to tie some of tallented developers to their platform (like they did with Bungie, or like Sony did with Insomniac and others).

Considering that mobile games are not making a lot of money, it shouldn't be such a hard task.

Of course mobile platform is different from consoles, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some good iPhone developers turning WP7 exclusive over night.

Yes, lots of them will turn overnight. On iPhone, a developer gets paid for every copy of his software that runs. Why would he want that?
  • Reply 59 of 61
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    While technically true, these companies are usually paying for exclusivity not to merely bring the game to the platform. The difference here is that Windows 7 has no market, so it is paying developers to bring games to market because they otherwise wouldn't do so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You seem to lack any understanding of how the game industry works. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have been paying for some games to come to their platforms all the time, and have always done so. The bigger the game, the higher the fee.

• Reply 60 of 61
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:

So which is it?

or

Come back in 12 months and we will see if your predictions are true, you're really stretching it though, I will personally stick to my iPhone device.