Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699

Comments

• Reply 21 of 383
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Nice upgrade, but the price increase is very disappointing. Maybe I can find a new previous generation Mac Mini discounted.
  • Reply 22 of 383
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you think it's expensive, don't buy one. That simple. Go ahead and buy your POS cheap box which has a 40% failure rate out of the box and which requires you to talk to someone in Swahili to get support.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, the Mini server is a super value. Please look up the cost of Windows server with unlimited client licenses. Heck, the software alone is considerably more expensive than the Mac Mini server.

It is expensive for what is in the box. And no, I won't buy one - I don't have more money than sense. For your information, I'm waiting on the new Mac Pros. I wouldn't touch a Windows machine with a barge pole. I hate Microsoft and everything they stand for.

But I refuse to lay down money on a machine, whatever make, if the bang for you buck ratio is skewed too far towards the buck, and not the bang. I get that the superior software is part of the value. That's not the argument.

You look at the comments over at Macrumors and you'll see that many many posters agree that this price point is ridiculous.
  • Reply 23 of 383
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Some things to note:
    • Same footprint as AppleTV

• it includes an HDMI-to-DVI adapter, which is uncommon from Apple these days

• No IR port

• The case is milled aluminium and looks like the bottom aluminium is part of it, not a cap. (Surely this is the least necessary of their milling efforts which tells me that they have learned to reduce the costs greatly. I hope other vendors learn to do this.)

• The Power Adapter is 85W, just like the 17" MBP. Which means that Apple could offer an adpter that will allow 24" LED Cinema Display users to drop the extra power cable.

• Easy to access RAM! (But only 2GB as default)

• Still no evidence of new FrontRow or included BackRow software to make it a decent HTPC, which tells me this is just an expensive option for an A4 and iOS powered TV coming soon.

• Reply 24 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

HDMI, but still no Blu-ray drive?

C'mon, Apple - now you're just being needlessly stubborn. Add it as a goddam option and get it over with.

I can't imagine many would pay for the Blu-ray drive that would fit into that machine.
  • Reply 25 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[*]No IR port

isn't there a IR port hidden at the right side of the optical-drive slot? i think there is.
  • Reply 26 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruisantus View Post

isn't there a IR port hidden at the right side of the optical-drive slot? i think there is.

That's the paperclip accessible release for the ODD. Note the Tech Specs list no IR port.
  • Reply 27 of 383
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Some things to note:

• No IR port

• The case is milled aluminium and looks like the bottom aluminium is part of it, not a cap. (Surely this is the least necessary of their milling efforts which tells me that they have learned to reduce the costs greatly. I hope other vendors learn to do this.)

• The Power Adapter is 85W, just like the 17" MBP. Which means that Apple could offer an adpter that will allow 24" LED Cinema Display users to drop the extra power cable.

• Still no evidence of new FrontRow or included BackRow software to make it a decent HTPC, which tells me this is just an expensive option for an A4 and iOS powered TV coming soon.

No IR port? What a way to convince someone to shell out the money for one. Maybe can't convince enough people to buy the Apple TV, so those that opted for a mini for the same task are given spite?

What got me to try Apple was the $499 model back when the mini was introduced, I don't think $699 would have done the trick.
  • Reply 28 of 383
    gt1948gt1948 Posts: 14member
    Hear hear
  • Reply 29 of 383
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you think it's expensive, don't buy one. That simple. Go ahead and buy your POS cheap box which has a 40% failure rate out of the box and which requires you to talk to someone in Swahili to get support.

Or buy a non-cheap semi-decent Dell/HP/etc that's still cheaper, twice as fast with discrete graphics... Dell sell a small form factor quad-core Inspiron 560s with 4GB, 750GB for £500, or 6GB, 1TB, HD5450 for £560. Comes with a limited version of Excel and Word too (see my comment above about including iWork in the price to sweeten the deal).

Of course it doesn't come with Mac OS X, and it doesn't look as nice - but it's a far easier sell. Apart from the stupid Dell online ordering system that take forever to click through billions of options, some of which appear twice!
  • Reply 30 of 383
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i wish it had a better CPU. i would buy one today if i could get a quad core option. oh well....
  • Reply 31 of 383
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No IR port? What a way to convince someone to shell out the money for one.

It does have an IR port. The Apple Remote is a BTO option, and the little IR window is clearly visible on the server version (it's hidden just inside the right side of the optical slot on the standard version). It must be a misprint that the specs page doesn't mention it.
  • Reply 32 of 383
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:

That's the paperclip accessible release for the ODD. Note the Tech Specs list no IR port.

You can order the Apple Remote with it, I don't think they'd do that if it didn't have an IR port... Besides, they market this as an HTPC... of course it'll have one

That being said, this is such poor value compared to the MacBook... or anything else from Apple's product line for that matter. And it's not like Apple's product line has an amazing specs/price ratio to begin with.
  • Reply 33 of 383
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    Since Apple seems to have abandoned the AppleTV to its fate I thought about it. But then again, in Switzerland the MacMini costs 1'000 USD (999.00 CHF to be precise). So I'll pass. The AppleTV costs one third of that.

And there is an iPhone 4 to be purchased this time around. Maybe towards the end of the year... In the hope that the autumn iPod event brings some news about the AppleTV (there's still hope, i guess).
  • Reply 34 of 383
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Some things to note:

• No IR port

Where did you get those specs?

- The IR port is integrated at the edge of the OD slot. Even the server model has a dot on the front for IR.

- There is no external power adapter.

Edit: many others pointed out the IR port earlier.

Edit2: The remote control itself is listed as an accessory: http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
  • Reply 35 of 383
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    A bit too expensive IMHO. I think the target market for this would rather purchase a cheap PC for half the price even if it's less reliable and doesn't pack the software goodies of a mac.

And why did Apple put an aluminum unibody design on this thing? It makes sense on a laptop but I don't see the advantage on an entry level desktop. I would rather see a more affordable material like plastic and save $.
  • Reply 36 of 383
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Where did you get those specs?

- The IR port is integrated at the edge of the OD slot. Even the server model has a dot on the front for IR.

- There is no external power adapter.

Edit: many others pointed out the IR port earlier.

Good point! The Mac Mini is AC-in, the magsafe of the Cinema Display is DC-out. Besides you'de be attaching a PSU to another PSU...
  • Reply 37 of 383
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Does no IR port mean no remote!? That would be awfully silly? (Unless there is some type of bluetooth based remote).
  • Reply 38 of 383
    1stmac1stmac Posts: 8member
    This is both a pro and a potential con. The internal power supply in a cramped space without adequate ventilation was what killed Time Capsules prematurely. My TC suffered just such an unfortunate fate. Thankfully Apple replaced mine.

The larger fan on the redesigned Mini does appear better than what was supplied with the TC, but I hope there has been sufficient attention to overheating problems in this refresh ... although the bottom cover (made of rubber?) does look suspiciously similar to the TC in terms of impeding ventilation.
  • Reply 39 of 383
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

I can't imagine many would pay for the Blu-ray drive that would fit into that machine.

It's one Blu-ray drive away from replacing a lot of people's BD living room component and consolidating all that crap into a single box. Remember that it ships with a CD-R and DVD-R, which, while relatively inexpensive these days, can be credited towards the cost of a universal BD drive that leaves out all the burning capabilities for living room use.

Unfortunately the $700 starting price is already a steep climb for a dedicated media computer.
  • Reply 40 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No IR port? What a way to convince someone to shell out the money for one. Maybe can't convince enough people to buy the Apple TV, so those that opted for a mini for the same task are given spite?

What got me to try Apple was the $499 model back then, I don't think $699 would have done the trick.

It is pricy but I have to assume Apple knows who's what people are willing to spend on the Mac Mini and that perhaps many were buying a more expensive model anyway.

This is pretty slick. I can't believe they got it that thin AND got the power supply into the device. Still, as impressive as it is to me it seems too extreme for the price. I don't see what the problem would be to allow more internal space. Than again, there are plenty of companies that offer that option and I ignore them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i wish it had a better CPU. i would buy one today if i could get a quad core option. oh well....

I think this is a 25W CPU and the lowest Quad is 45W. With an 85W power supply I don't think that is possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

You can order the Apple Remote with it, I don't think they'd do that if it didn't have an IR port... Besides, they market this as an HTPC... of course it'll have one

That being said, this is such poor value compared to the MacBook... or anything else from Apple's product line for that matter. And it's not like Apple's product line has an amazing specs/price ratio to begin with.

Excellent point. Either they have failed to mention it on their Tech Specs page or they goofed and didn't remove it from the accessories page.

Maybe it's hiding in the optical drive bay, out of sight. Hopefully iFixit can dismantle one before you I awake.