iPhone 4 now available for preorder from Apple, carriers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple and its various wireless partners around the world prepared to launch iPhone 4 on June 24 began taking preorders for the hardware on Tuesday, though the new white model is unavailable.

As was announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference last week, customers can buy a 16GB iPhone 4 with a two-year contract with AT&T in the U.S. for $199, while the 32GB model costs $299.

Last year's iPhone 3GS, available in an 8GB capacity, is also available for $99 with contract, and all three models deliver on the launch date of June 24. Preorders are limited to two per customer.

On the Apple online store, the white iPhone 4 is not available for preorder. In addition, the model with a white front and back cannot be secured for in-store pickup. On AT&T's site, the white iPhone 4 is listed as "coming soon."

Limited availability of the white iPhone 4 was revealed on Monday, when an internal memo from AT&T suggested that supplies would be scarce at launch. That memo said that while AT&T stores will take reservations for the white iPhone 4, it will not become available until later this summer.

Both the black iPhone 4 and 8GB iPhone 3GS can be secured via free shipping, or with in-store pickup for the June 24 launch.

While the iPhone remains locked to Apple's exclusive carrier partner in the U.S., AT&T, some international customers have the option of an unlocked handset. An unlocked iPhone costs £499 for 16GB and £599 for 32GB in the U.K, and ?629 for 16GB and ?739 for 32GB in France. It is also available unlocked and SIM-free in Canada.

The new iPhone will debut next week in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has announced that the iPhone 4 international launch will ramp up to 87 total countries by September, its fastest global deployment of a new handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    zhe wizzhe wiz Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and its various wireless partners around the world prepared to launch iPhone 4 on June 24 began taking preorders for the hardware on Tuesday, though the new white model is unavailable

Yea...except it's down again. I can't order.
  • Reply 2 of 115
    No white iPhone, no pre-order from me
  • Reply 3 of 115
    adam1134adam1134 Posts: 15member
    done.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    panoplypanoply Posts: 5member
    I got as far as checking my eligibiliy for an upgrade. After a few tortured seconds it came back with an error. After trying to go back and try again, the "We'll be back soon." screen greeted me. Hopefully this is not a sign on how things are going to proceed today...
  • Reply 5 of 115
    kishkish Posts: 1member
    I got as far as submitting the order and the store went down. Must be a lot of people buying.

• Reply 6 of 115
    jbro1999jbro1999 Posts: 38member
    I been trying to get on for an hour and a half now.. Gotta be overloading their servers
  • Reply 7 of 115
    After four attempts, I was able to finalize the 32gb preorder. Took about an hour to get the confirmation email.
  • Reply 8 of 115
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Well, the "pre-order for pick-up" allotment of the Apple Store in Frankfurt was gone in less than an hour - seems Munich and Hamburg are running empty now as well... Too early for predictions, but I would not be astonished if the September goal for all countries will have to be moved again... Absolutely everyone I know wants one.
  • Reply 9 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I was unsuccessful since 1am PST ordering from apple.com. I finally went to att.com and was able to order immediately without incident. I have a confirmation number and everything.

PS: They can't seem to calculate tax based on zipcode so they charged 23% tax for the initial hold.
  • Reply 10 of 115
    justfinejustfine Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kish View Post

I got as far as submitting the order and the store went down. Must be a lot of people buying.

I tried at 3:30 am EST and kept receiving "timed out" notices. Now at 8:30am receiving "back soon" stickie notice.

FYI, Radio Shack is now saying that they are not taking pre-orders until after 1pm today and that the trade-in price for a 3G is $100, no higher regardless of condition. Gazelle is offering $120-140 depending on condition and with a 30 day lock-in. I'm ordering for delivery from Apple and selling to Gazelle. I have no faith whatsoever in Radio Shack who have given me 3 differing stories in 4 days, same store/different salespeople.
  • Reply 11 of 115
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Store appears overwhelmed. I have been stuck on the grey circle of endlessness awaiting ATT's authorization of account information.

Waiting patiently: will order black 32gb now, will wait to order the white for my wife....
  • Reply 12 of 115
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Store appears overwhelmed. I have been stuck on the grey circle of endlessness awaiting ATT's authorization of account information.

Waiting patiently: will order black 32gb now, will wait to order the white for my wife....

Same here. Waiting and waiting and waiting. They really need that new data center in NC.
  • Reply 13 of 115
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    I concur.

The Apple Store is Buckling under the pressure. I have never seen this before. Trying to get my order in but those servers are caving.

....of course, I'll keep trying till my order goes through !!
  • Reply 14 of 115
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    The entire wireless.att.com is down now:

Maintenance In Progress

AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask that you please try back again later.
  • Reply 15 of 115
    bbtatombbtatom Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

I tried at 3:30 am EST and kept receiving "timed out" notices. Now at 8:30am receiving "back soon" stickie notice.

FYI, Radio Shack is now saying that they are not taking pre-orders until after 1pm today and that the trade-in price for a 3G is $100, no higher regardless of condition. Gazelle is offering $120-140 depending on condition and with a 30 day lock-in. I'm ordering for delivery from Apple and selling to Gazelle. I have no faith whatsoever in Radio Shack who have given me 3 differing stories in 4 days, same store/different salespeople.

Just an FYI - i was able to pre-order my 32GB iPhone just now. When I clicked on the new iPhone banner on the main page of Apple.com and tried to pre-order that way i got the "back soon" sticky notice. BUT when I clicked on the "Store" button on the top of the page and then click on the little iPhone picture and then go from there. It took me about 5 minutes. It'll ask you for your current phone number, zip, and social. Thats it, I hope this works for you!
  • Reply 16 of 115
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    no white. no explanation. no date. borders on contempt for customers.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
  • Reply 18 of 115
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlecR View Post

The entire wireless.att.com is down now:

Maintenance In Progress

AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask that you please try back again later.

1-800-MY-APPLE says "....extremely high call volume....call back later."

Maybe I should buy the stock instead......
  • Reply 19 of 115
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    They seem to be sorry over and over again that they can't process my request. This does get old, it seems that after the 4th launch they should have seen this coming.
  • Reply 20 of 115
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I tried repeatedly to get the phone ship option, but it kept timing out. I did manage to get a pickup confirmation at a local Apple store. I wonder if I can call in later after the initial rush and get it changed to a 'ship' order, rather than a pickup?