iPhone 4 now available for preorder from Apple, carriers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    This is an exercise in futility...
  • Reply 22 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbtatom View Post

Just an FYI - i was able to pre-order my 32GB iPhone just now.

I've been unsuccessful since 4 am. Still nothing but waiting for AT&T account information and session timeouts.
  • Reply 23 of 115
    So far, I've gotten to the choose data plan page before it finally errored and made me start over.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I am bummed. I've decided to put off my iPhone 4 purchase for at least a month if not longer. I looked at all my usage patterns with my current iPhone on Tmobile and I'm above the basic individual plan levels in all three areas of the AT&T plans, yes even using 2G data because I stream a decent amount of Pandora almost daily.

I'm right at about 650 minutes of talk. I average roughly 1200 text messages a month but every third month seems to hit 1700 for some reason (the other months are 900-1000) and for data I'm showing myself right at 200 megs a month download but then I still have uploads of cellular data as well.

I reset my cell data to see what it will be this month but man, I've got to find some way to get the family to roll over to AT&T with me to make this tolerable financially. The extra hits of $20 month for more voice minutes, $5 a month for unlimited text and $10 a month minimum for data are just pushing the iPhone out of reach for me when I've got an Apple solution that is working and on a plan I like right now. Did I mention the AT&T plan was already $10 more expensive per month with those minimal options than my Tmobile plan? That's $45 a month more to get what I get on Tmobile now.

Oh well.....\
  • Reply 25 of 115
    I got thru for ordering a new iPhone 4 and was in sticker shock. Apple wants $599 for the iphone 4 16GB if your in mid contract and if i wait until january i can have it for $399. thats too much I don't think i can get more than $350 for my current 3GS. Last year I paid $399 for my current 16GB 3GS and I sold my 3G for $375.
  • Reply 26 of 115
    Hey. Can somebody answer this for me?

If I go to bestbuy today to preorder the iphone, do I have to sign the new 2 year contract today? Or can I sign the contract on 6/24?

I'm wondering because my family is possibly considering a family plan but is unsure. I don't want to sign an individual plan now and have them go into a family plan later on because it would cost more for the month until I switch over.
  • Reply 27 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I am bummed. I've decided to put off my iPhone 4 purchase for at least a month if not longer. I looked at all my usage patterns with my current iPhone on Tmobile and I'm above the basic individual plan levels in all three areas of the AT&T plans, yes even using 2G data because I stream a decent amount of Pandora almost daily.

I'm right at about 650 minutes of talk. I average roughly 1200 text messages a month but every third month seems to hit 1700 for some reason (the other months are 900-1000) and for data I'm showing myself right at 200 megs a month download but then I still have uploads of cellular data as well.

I reset my cell data to see what it will be this month but man, I've got to find some way to get the family to roll over to AT&T with me to make this tolerable financially. The extra hits of $20 month for more voice minutes, $5 a month for unlimited text and $10 a month minimum for data are just pushing the iPhone out of reach for me when I've got an Apple solution that is working and on a plan I like right now. Did I mention the AT&T plan was already $10 more expensive per month with those minimal options than my Tmobile plan? That's $45 a month more to get what I get on Tmobile now.

Oh well.....\

Mathematically it'd make more sense for you not to get the unlimited texting and stick with the 1200 plan and pay the overages as in the long run even if you go over occasionally you won't go over enough to make the unlimited plan worth it
  • Reply 28 of 115
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Oh well.....\

I sympathize, but for me, the new plans are going to be a major price break. (450m + 200d + 200t): $60/mo, instead of $80/mo (i.e., $480 savings over two years for each member of my family).

You should pay for what you eat, no?
  • Reply 29 of 115
    Your request couldn't be processed.
  • Reply 30 of 115
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I especially like the elegant and user-friendly "18-click shopping™", cannily presented over 7 separate pages (client-server connections)

This allows the shopper to casually read The Odyssey, nap, get a pedicure or reconsider purchase decisions-- while shopping.

What is pleasantly convient is the ability to start over at any time and the flexibility to re-specify any previously gathered information.

...The only improvement, I can think of, would be to rewrite the whole thing in Flash!

There needs to be an app for that!

• Reply 31 of 115
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    The site is getting much faster at apologizing then asking for your phone number yet again. Maybe in the processing time I can read the AT&T Privacy policy link at the bottom to learn how they are protecting my data.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    Well, after the AT&T check page, I get to a "Reserve to pick up at an Apple Store..." page except the info shows $699 for the 32-GB iPhone. I'm hesitant to click the "reserve" button. Anyone else seeing this?
  • Reply 33 of 115
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Well, after the AT&T check page, I get to a "Reserve to pick up at an Apple Store..." page except the info shows $699 for the 32-GB iPhone. I'm hesitant to click the "reserve" button. Anyone else seeing this?

You are probably not eligible for the subsidized price. Or, you chose a non-contract plan.
  • Reply 34 of 115
    bbtatombbtatom Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

I had this same thing happen to me. I went back and typed my number with the dashes and it worked fine after that. It went from $699 to $299. 123-456-7890 instead of1234567890. Hope this helps!
  • Reply 35 of 115
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    AT&Ts servers are jammed. Cannot even get to AT&Ts Wireless home page. Unable to pre-order right now.
  • Reply 36 of 115
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Mathematically it'd make more sense for you not to get the unlimited texting and stick with the 1200 plan and pay the overages as in the long run even if you go over occasionally you won't go over enough to make the unlimited plan worth it

Um... I said that around every third month I hit 1700 texts. That would be 500 messages at 5 cents per message for a total of $25 in overage costs. I don't think that would be less than $15 across all three months.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I sympathize, but for me, the new plans are going to be a major price break. (450m + 200d + 200t): $60/mo, instead of $80/mo (i.e., $480 savings over two years for each member of my family).

You should pay for what you eat, no?

I gladly would if the costs were linear or scaled in some appropriate fashion. I know people are betting on savings here but AT&T clearly has to know why they drew that line at 200 megs and I'm betting that a lot of these folks who average 150-175 megs a month with no background tasks will average just above 200 once iOS4 comes out and allows them to have something with data running in the background. Pandora is a great app and is even used to demo this feature. Most won't care and will go back to 2gig's at $25 and still pocket $10 a month over what they would have spent.

I'm the poor bastard stuck at work with no wifi. It does exist, but I can't get my iPhone to log into it as it is hidden and requires some log in. I have a laptop through work that logs into it just fine. Maybe I need some tech help and then could get by with the lower data plan. I'm not saying never, just giving it a month to double check and evaluate my usage patterns.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Frantic tic tic tic tic tic tic tock.....
  • Reply 38 of 115
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I wonder how Best Buy and Radio Shack are doing?

• Reply 39 of 115
    sf_dudesf_dude Posts: 14member
    go through ATT site if you can. Apple store seems to have issues accessing ATT accounts
  • Reply 40 of 115
    Quote:

Um... I said that around every third month I hit 1700 texts. That would be 500 messages at 5 cents per message for a total of $25 in overage costs. I don't think that would be less than $15 across all three months.

sorry i misstyped. Att's second limit is 1500 which would be 10 bucks every third month