$100 increase for Apple's redesigned Mac mini seen as disappointment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 274
    I'll wait for the first batch of refurbs due to melting motherboards!

Cheaper AND field tested!
  • Reply 22 of 274
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple believes that digital is the future and Blu-ray is a flash in the pan.

A 15 year flash in the pan. Buy-to-own digital movies are going nowhere fast. Apple needs to pull their head out of the sand.
  • Reply 23 of 274
    philotechphilotech Posts: 106member
    The price is even worse outside the US. And I don't even start to compare it to the US prices because Apple is always way off, and there is sales tax here of course. That said, the price has increased by an unbelievable EUR 200 in Germany from the previous version to the current one. That's USD 245 (!!!). Actually, it's even more, but that's due to a new EUR 15 copyright charge.

An increase of EUR 100 = USD 120 might even have been justified (1) compared to the USD 100 increase in the US and/or (2) the slightly better specs and the EUR-USD exchange rate. But USD 245 is just crazy.
  • Reply 24 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvmb99 View Post

Don't know if I can justify this one.

That's what I was saying to myself, even as I clicked the "Buy" button. I just couldn't help myself.

Before you ask, yes I do have "mug" written across my forehead.
  • Reply 25 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

GAH!

iPad FAIL.

Mini FAIL.

Mac Mini + iPad + Jaadu VNC = Remote display touchscreen. No need for wireless keyboard and mouse.

Add in plexapp or boxee and Airvideo for iPad = ultimate entertainment experience.
  • Reply 26 of 274
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

maybe i'm just the jerk that keeps hammering at dead horses, but where the hell is the IR port on the mini? The old one had an IR port for the remote. The new one doesn't. What the hell, apple? This isn't a media center if it doesn't have a tiny remote!!!!!

GAH!

iPad FAIL.

Mini FAIL.

Stop going backwards!

EDIT:

Turns out it's just REALLY really well hidden this time. It still exists. I rescind my inflammatory reply.

Thats what happens when you go off the deep end before looking into the matter.
  • Reply 27 of 274
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    For this price, I would have expected at least an i3 processor. As it is, the processor is barely faster than the last generation and the prices have fallen on processors, so that's moot. Same for the graphics, yes it's faster, that is exected over nine months. They basically raised the price due to the aluminum body - I don't see anything else that justifies the price increase. And it makes no sense to make an aluminum body on this machine. They put the i5 and i7 into their laptops, so there isn't a technical reason they couldn't get it in here.

Apple just got out of the lower end and turned the Mac mini into a fancy, but underpowered machine. I was ready to get 5 of these for a lab, but the increase in price will make these unjustifiable. They either need to be faster at this price or they need to be cheaper. Apple chose aesthetics over function this time and they've unfortunately lost my order.
  • Reply 28 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I'll wait for the first batch of refurbs due to melting motherboards!

Cheaper AND field tested!

THERE we go.

The one thing about the price increase that I don't understand is, why isn't the Server model an additional $100 more? Disappointing that the price went up, or as others have speculated that the consumer model is now priced in-between the original entry level model and its uprated midrange one.

I'd probably be looking at the server version myself, so in that regard it's a nice update in a smaller package for the same price.
  • Reply 29 of 274
    For that $100 extra dollars Apple could have added a cheap Blu-Ray drive...
  • Reply 30 of 274
    I can't believe they raised the price on the thing. Spec wise I don't feel it's justified. I have 2 Mac mini's an iPhone and a pile of Apple stock. I live in reality though, I'm not a fanboi. I'm not happy to see the Core 2 Duo still in there and why in heck did they put the SD slot in the back? The back is for stuff that gets plugged in once and stays that way. The slot should be in the front where it can be easily used.
  • Reply 31 of 274
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

it should have had Blu Ray. Doesn't that seem logical?

Yeah, I wonder for how long they are gonna ignore BluRay. The iTunes Movie Store is an international failure so far with just a couple of countries, and it's really cunning to leave their customers that can't access digital movies (the way Apple want it) without an option to play today's best movie format. And even if the iTunes Movie Store was world wide, it'd still be cunning...

But.. is there a super duper drive that read and write all formats?
  • Reply 32 of 274
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I've been pretty pissed about the price increase as well. But if you go to dell's website and price out a 50/50 comparable machine (the Dell Studio Hybrid) it prices out at $689.

2.2 Ghtz w/ 3MB cache, 2 gigs ram, SD slot, HDMI, etc. So even though i'm pissed abotu the price of this, it's competitive. I guess it all boils down to components.

It still is a little amazing that you couldn't get the price down to at least $499 at the entry level.
  • Reply 33 of 274
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

What, Apple should cheapen up their stuff just to make the investors happy? I just recently threw away my Flowerpower imac after almost years. NO VIRUS, NO BREAK DOWNS NOTHING. It just got old and started to naturally break down. Speakers didn't work, ejection mechanism was sometimes working and it couldn't be upgrades to the latest OS.

You get what you pay for with Mac and the price is worth it. Macs keep their value. The price point? No big deal. I'll pay the price as long as I can receive the best user experience. Period.

Call me a troll, but sorry to say the design and engineering is brilliant but the component and assembly quality is significantly poorer compared to Macs from 3 to 6 years ago.

Sure, some will want me to quote "facts" and "statistics", but, well, truth will out.

And I'm not anti-Apple (see my 4,000+ posts )
  • Reply 34 of 274
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvmb99 View Post

...Apple (usually) does not find the cheapest off the shelf components like some other computer manufacturers tend to...

For the most part, but nowadays, not always. Not always anymore.
  • Reply 35 of 274
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

... And I'm not anti-Apple (see my 4,000+ posts )

If memory serves, you could be classified as anti-Apple based on your posting history.
  • Reply 36 of 274
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The price isn't a disappointment - the price is a joke.
  • Reply 37 of 274
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

It's disappointing because they used to offer a Mac starting at $499, then it was $599 and now it's $699. The price barrier will deter would-be Mac owners; whether it's worth the extra $200 is irrelevant for people who are willing to spend $499 but not $699 sans monitor/keyboard/mouse.

for anyone who cares to spend $499 on an Apple product, we have the iPad ....
  • Reply 38 of 274
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

for anyone who cares to spend $499 on an Apple product, we have the iPad ....

And if the iPad wasn't a slave device that requires a computer, that would be a very viable solution.
  • Reply 39 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

A 15 year flash in the pan. Buy-to-own digital movies are going nowhere fast. Apple needs to pull their head out of the sand.

Who wants to own a movie when they're all available for streaming? One day. I have never understood why people would want to have racks of plastic discs in their living rooms.
  • Reply 40 of 274
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

maybe i'm just the jerk that keeps hammering at dead horses, but where the hell is the IR port on the mini?

The "SQUARE".