iPhone 4 now available for preorder from Apple, carriers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    eko425eko425 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ehrhards View Post

I have a 2 year old iPhone 16GB black. How do I know if it's the older boot model? I bought it the end of September 2008. It is a little scuffy from normal wear on the back, with a couple chips in the plastic. The screen is in great condition. How much do you think that would go for on eBay?

I sold my phone last week because I wanted to get a better price. I thought if I waited until iPhone 4 came out the market would be quickly saturated with used 3G's. From what I've seen on eBay, used 3G's in good condition are getting around $250 for locked phones (still on AT&T) and around anywhere between $300-400 for unlocked phones.

To answer your question, the only way I know how to tell what boot loader you have is to jailbreak the phone, which enables you to install a third-party application called Fuzzy Band which displays your boot loader version. There might be an easier way...

IMO, it's definitely worth unlocking your phone as it will likely get you over $100 more on eBay. I had zero experience with jailbreaking or unlocking iPhones before last week, so you shouldn't feel intimidated by the process...it just involves downloading a simple program. A good step-by-step guide is available from iClarified. But even if you decide not to jailbreak/unlock, you'll still fetch more money than RadioShack.
  • Reply 82 of 115
    ismofamismofam Posts: 41member
    I gave up trying to pre-order on Apple.com. Logged on to ATT and got.

"There was a problem with your request.

P1015: We're sorry, but we are experiencing a system error that prevents us from completing your request. For non iPhone related upgrades, please call Customer Care at 1-888-867-4384 and provide the error number at the beginning of this message."

System error? WTF. take the pre-order ATT. I know I am pre-qualified since you have confirmed it many times before crapping out. This is not good. Is this the future of cloud compuing?
  • Reply 83 of 115
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Meanwhile in the UK, you can only pre-order through the Apple store at the moment, and only a full priced unlocked iPhone (£500 for 16GB, £600 for 32GB). There's nowhere to get one on contract at the moment!

I just ordered mine.

The plan is I will sell my 16gb Black 3GS to o2 recycle for £228 which means I pay £271 for an unlocked iPhone 4
  • Reply 84 of 115
    [QUOTE=panoply;1652940]I got as far as checking my eligibiliy for an upgrade. After a few tortured seconds it came back with an error. After trying to go back and try again, the "We'll be back soon." screen greeted me. Hopefully this is not a sign on how things are going to proceed today...[/QUOTE

That's as fas as I got with the same result. This is crap! Been trying to pre-order this phone since 7 am with no luck and it's 1130am now
  • Reply 85 of 115
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    Just got back from my local RS. While a nice store, it is at a disadvantage due to road construction (why I chose it). At any rate, they opened at their normal 9am (they called me yesterday to confirm when they would open and that I was indeed on the list to pre-order). Got there a few minutes before 9 and there was one other person which was there to add minutes to his pre-paid acct. As already reported, RS has dropped the $50 pre-pay on pre-orders. What they are doing is verifying that your AT&T account is indeed eligible for upgrade and then collecting some basic info (name, email addy, address and verifying drivers license). The manager told me that the stores would get pin#s for pre-orders later today and it is that pin # that guarantees you the iphone on the 24th. He told me that I should get an email directly from RS later today and that he would call me as well.

Now on to the trade-in... Okay, the price dropped a few dollars since Saturday, but still works out pretty nice (got $136 plus change). The kicker is that all the local stores ran thru their gift card supply on the EVO launch and they are awaiting more. The manager ran my appraisal through their system and printed it out to put with my orders. He told me that the gift card issue should be resolved later today as well. I was very clear, and repeated, that this was THEIR problem, not mine, as I had my iphone wiped and ready to trade-in on the spot, so I fully expected that the appraisal price as of this morning WOULD BE HONORED. Could not get a firm acknowledgement on the matter, but the manager is a nice guy, so for the moment, I will give him the benefit of the doubt as I have no money on the line and I still have my 3G iphone in my possession.

BTW, by the time the manager (only one working this morning) was finished with me, there were 3 others in line to pre-order, which given that this particular RS is off the beaten path and located on a street undergoing MAJOR reconstruction, would seem to indicate that at least a fair pre-order response at RS.
  • Reply 86 of 115
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

So, how does it work? Do you bring your old iPhone in, they appraise it, then you trade them (literally) when you return to pick up your new iPhone on 6/24?

I got a Gazelle box already, but it would be a lot easier just to hand it over.

Yep, that's exactly it. They didn't even require a deposit for the new phone. Just bring my 3GS in next Thursday along with the charger. I pay the difference, which is $55 plus tax.
  • Reply 87 of 115
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    finally ordered (32GB; unlimited)....through Apple Store

BTW, I received a very good price from Cashforiphones.com for my 3GS that I sold 2 weeks ago. Much higher offer than Gazelle.
  • Reply 88 of 115
    mydnytemydnyte Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chicagoguy3127 View Post

I was able to place an order for a black 16GB iPhone 4 from the AT&T Premier store this morning, around 9:20 AM central time. The site loaded very slow but it allowed me to place my order. AT&T provided free expedited shipping which was nice.

Your Premier page listed the iPhone 4? The couple of times I was actually able to get into my Premier page, the iPhone 4 wasn't listed as an option.
  • Reply 89 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yep, that's exactly it. They didn't even require a deposit for the new phone. Just bring my 3GS in next Thursday along with the charger. I pay the difference, which is $55 plus tax.

Any idea what they were giving for the 3G?
  • Reply 90 of 115
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

Any idea what they were giving for the 3G?

Their site says $186.
  • Reply 91 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Their site says $186.

Excellent. Perhaps I'll take an early lunch and mosey on over
  • Reply 92 of 115
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Actually, if you read the page, its not JUST a pre-order. The phone is delivered already registered and 'ready to use' so they need the att information (in the US).

The point is they do not need to do everything upfront. Do you think they already registered and activated my phone this morning? Why not collect the minimum info upfront, and once the rush dies down, verify AT&T eligability, ask the buyer to accept or decline the pricing, let them choose mail or instore pickup, and let them select or change plan options. This is basic process design, and Apple gets a BIG FAIL.

Good thing I am an East coaster who was up early. I got though on the third try just after 6:00 AM EDT. I can not believe they are still having problems 6 hours later, in fact it seems to be worse! Sorry but there is no excuse given how predictable the high demand was. Shame on you Apple, get your act together!
  • Reply 93 of 115
    After failing to pre-order from both Apple and ATT, I drove to my local ATT store. Their were about 12 people queued in line and the store was to open in 5 minutes at 9am. The manager came out, wrote everyone's name on his list and then let us in. They had 10 reps to help us and they began calling customers to the service counter. When I got to the counter They were already experiencing problems with their pre-order system. Servers not responding, pages hanging and not loading. My rep and I tried for about 45 minutes but each time we got to the check-out, the page would hang. The guy next to me was actually able to confirm 2 of 3 that he was pre-ordering that day. Then the manager came out of the back and announced that due to system crashes, etc. they were going to take copies of credit cards and driver licenses and process them as soon as the system allowed.

As far as I could tell, it was very hit or miss as far as getting an order to go through. Some people were getting confirmations and others were having to reboot due to crashes. Servers are SWAMPED! I left my information and headed back home. My rep said he'd text me when my order went through.

Poor planning all around. Apple should have known better. Maybe they should have done a rolling pre-order, east coast on day 1, central on day 2, west coast day 3.
  • Reply 94 of 115
    I tried more than a dozen times this morning/afternoon to order online through Apple without success

I tried ordering through AT&T without success.

Finally, I went down to the AT&T store and waited a half an hour only for the rep to tell everybody that the system was down and to come back tomorrow OR wait and fill out the order form manually and hope that it gets processed at a later time.

I can wait...but what a complete failure by Apple and AT&T once AGAIN on launch day!
  • Reply 95 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Actually, if you read the page, its not JUST a pre-order. The phone is delivered already registered and 'ready to use' so they need the att information (in the US).

Yes, but it is a Pre-order as indicated in the Apple store:

http://store.apple.com/us/

All I am suggesting is that they can drastically simplify the process by:

1) Taking and Booking the pre-order immediately

2) Validating the pre-order after the fact, instead of during the pre-prder process.

3) Acknowledging the validated pre-order

4) The buyer accepts the validated pre-order as a real order, resolves the discrepancies or the pre-order expires.

I would expect a large percentage of the pre-orders could be booked, validated and accepted as real orders within 24 hours.

The way they are doing it now, very few orders get placed.

• Reply 96 of 115
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    The price you get IN STORE is NOT the same as the online price. The online price requires you to MAIL your existing iphone to RS and then according to their website, in 2-3 weeks they will mail you back your gift card for the $186.

The in-store price is instant and is running a about $40 less than the online store and will likely fall to $100 (RS written minimum value for any 3G) on or before the 24th. I could have gotten $145 plus change on Saturday, but decided to wait until today and see how much it fell. I can live with the $136 + change that they offered me, but as I mentioned in my previous post, at this moment, they were out of gift cards due to the EVO launch (same trade-in program), so I still have my 16G 3G in my possession. The store manager, did printout the in-store appraisal to put with my order and told me that the gift card issue should be resolved today. Should RS decide to play games with the value set this morning when I presented my pristine 3G, they will find that they just lost a sale.
  • Reply 97 of 115
    Got a 32GB £499 this morning although i must say it took some time. The Apple store crashed around 9.30 and then came back up again. Got there in the end Phew!!

I must say i prefer the outright purchase option here in the UK and then choosing the carrier later. This way i can get to try different carriers as and when i choose. Having a 2 yr contract with one carrier wasn't something that appealed to me this time around.

Had a 3G with 02 for 18 mths and there were times when i felt like throwing it.
  • Reply 98 of 115
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I just ordered mine through Apple's site. It would sometimes choke trying to verify your account via AT&T, but I suspect the problem was on AT&T's part. Once I got past that it was ok, although I had to opt for the option to pick it up on the 24th.

I'm assuming once I have my confirmation that my phone will be ready for pickup at my local Apple store on the 24th, I should consider it a done deal? I've always had my stuff shipped to me, so picking it up at the Apple store will be new to me. Do I just show up, or am I supposed to confirm/create an appointment?
  • Reply 99 of 115
    mydnytemydnyte Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I just ordered mine through Apple's site. It would sometimes choke trying to verify your account via AT&T, but I suspect the problem was on AT&T's part. Once I got past that it was ok, although I had to opt for the option to pick it up on the 24th.

I'm assuming once I have my confirmation that my phone will be ready for pickup at my local Apple store on the 24th, I should consider it a done deal? I've always had my stuff shipped to me, so picking it up at the Apple store will be new to me. Do I just show up, or am I supposed to confirm/create an appointment?

Show up and allow yourself PLENTY of time. You'll be there as well as the hoards of others looking to actually purchase. It'll be a madhouse.
  • Reply 100 of 115
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Apple website only processes order so far and then goes down. Tried over 10 times. This is probably going to one of the biggest roll outs in APPLE history.