$100 increase for Apple's redesigned Mac mini seen as disappointment

Comments

• Reply 181 of 274
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Say what you will, i respect that. But i don't think it's any coincidence that the aTV and Mac Mini keep getting closer and closer to converging into a HTPC product.

The Apple TV is already too expensive, making it double that price creates an even bigger problem. The secret to Apple TV being a success or not is whether Apple can get a TV Show Subscription deal ironed out or not with the studios. By offering people a subscription they can tie people into a contract and subsidize the product making it cheaper and also 'actually worth buying'.

As it stands this buying-per-show and paying a lump sum for the device would only work out in cuckoo-land.

Making the Apple TV $499 is a bad idea. It's a terrible idea.
  • Reply 182 of 274
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

Well I can move the Apple TV up to the bonus room now, hello front row. Sitting on the couch, bluetooth keyboard and mouse in hand, surfing, emailing, creating movies on iMovies, slideshows on iPhoto, paying bills online, well maybe that won't be so great, but everything else is perfect.

Front Row hasn't been updated since November of 2007; the interface is lame and far too primitive compared to Apple TV's, which has continuously evolved and gained features.
  • Reply 183 of 274
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

No one has ever erected a statue to a critic.

Not that Shaw Wu is a critic. He is still an analyst, whether you agree with his views or not.
  • Reply 184 of 274
    wildagwildag Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

What, Apple should cheapen up their stuff just to make the investors happy? I just recently threw away my Flowerpower imac after almost years. NO VIRUS, NO BREAK DOWNS NOTHING. It just got old and started to naturally break down. Speakers didn't work, ejection mechanism was sometimes working and it couldn't be upgrades to the latest OS.

You get what you pay for with Mac and the price is worth it. Macs keep their value. The price point? No big deal. I'll pay the price as long as I can receive the best user experience. Period.

Finally, someone that understands cost = purchase price - selling price. Apple computers, no matter their price, cost less than any other major manufacturer. Period.
  • Reply 185 of 274
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not that Shaw Wu is a critic. He is still an analyst, whether you agree with his views or not.

Talking of which.....have you noticed the spread (market cap) between aapl and msft narrowing? And, does anyone have a feel for the 4% hike in msft share gain today? (compared to Apple's 2% hike).
  • Reply 186 of 274
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    quite simply, apple isn't a POS computer maker, and doesn't or isn't going to compete with that low end crap. It seems the others can fight over that dwindling market. Dell can keep trying to flog their underpowered POS boxes for 399 you can toss out the door in a couple years if they want.

A much cooler mini with hdmi for 100 bucks more? I'm getting one for the living room tv.
  • Reply 187 of 274
    prwprw Posts: 31member
    Apple Store price for a Mac mini, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, Apple Magic Mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboard: $1,037.

Apple Store price for a 21.5 inch iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide, 8x double-layer SuperDrive, Apple Magic Mouse: $1,199.

The mini has a NVIDIA GeForce 320M instead of the older 9400M, but the iMac has a 21.5 inch, 1900 x 1080 display built in, for $162 more. And saves desktop space, since the display footprint is likely the same when you hook a display up to the mini. Even if you have a display, mouse and keyboard, I think I would get an iMac. Unless you are hooking it up to an HDTV in your living room.
  • Reply 188 of 274
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I

The original purpose of the Mini was to have an inexpensive Mac to help induce switchers. Clearly that is less of a concern for them these days.

That job is now relegated to the the iPad (500 dollars, like the original mac mini...) and the iPhone. Suck you into the ecosystem through the gadgets. Seems to be working. So they are selling the Mac Mini as a desktop computer replacement, or gadget?
  • Reply 189 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Narcoma View Post

Talking of which.....have you noticed the spread (market cap) between aapl and msft narrowing? And, does anyone have a feel for the 4% hike in msft share gain today? (compared to Apple's 2% hike).

Talk about your nonsequituer response. Actually, no -- I try to follow more meaningful things.
  • Reply 190 of 274
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    HELP!

I have to pay the extra $100.00, having ordered a Mini Server yesterday,

can I please entreat one of our generous members to purchase 2/5ths of an APPL share?
  • Reply 191 of 274
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prw View Post

Apple Store price for a Mac mini, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, Apple Magic Mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboard: $1,037.

Apple Store price for a 21.5 inch iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide, 8x double-layer SuperDrive, Apple Magic Mouse: $1,199.

The mini has a NVIDIA GeForce 320M instead of the older 9400M, but the iMac has a 21.5 inch, 1900 x 1080 display built in, for $162 more. And saves desktop space, since the display footprint is likely the same when you hook a display up to the mini. Even if you have a display, mouse and keyboard, I think I would get an iMac. Unless you are hooking it up to an HDTV in your living room.

And when you're computer breaks down, either you repair it or throw away a perfectly good monitor. As such you'd better be prepared to commit to more than 10 years use of the iMac, considering that's the lifespan of one of the most expensive components. This is why I'm using a 24" Cinema Display coupled with a Mini. Sure the initial cost compared to performance favours the iMac but three, five, seven years from now I'll be using a much more powerful next-gen Mini couple with the same display I purchased a few months ago. You might well still be running the iMac but you'll have spent about as much as I have in trading up every few years on account of hard drives burn out and software needs updating rather frequently if you want the latest and greatest.

That's the great flaw in the all-in-one form factor. you're combining a 10-year monitor with a five-year computer that can only remain current and running optimally if you sinks hundreds into maintenance and software updates. If you spend an average of let's say $30 a year to maintain the latest OS and you drop $100 every two years on iLife (Cdn. prices), in six years you'd be looking at $480 in software alone. Add in at least one hard drive and that's another $150 or so. So looked at for a six-year cycle, the iMac isn't the deal it appears to be initially.

Going the Mini route with a trade every three years coupled with a Cinema Display is costlier on balance than opting for the iMac but if you're like me, taking the wraps off a new machine every few years is an activity I rather like. That's not practical of me, I know, but life's short and sometimes you just want to do stuff that makes you happy. I wouldn't want to be using a seven-year-old iMac in 2017.
  • Reply 192 of 274
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Talk about your nonsequituer response. Actually, no -- I try to follow more meaningful things.

you really are an insulting curmudgeon.

ps "non sequiter"
  • Reply 193 of 274
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I love the new design, especially no need for the damn putty knives, although it still seems over-engineered. Access to the RAM looks very easy but I really wanted better access to the HDD. I'll have to wait for the ifixit guys to get on it to see if it's as simple as unscrewing the visible screws under the rubber base.

I'm disappointed with the price hike, especially with no 7200 rpm drive and still 2GB RAM. If it was even 250GB 7200RPM and 4GB RAM, it would be much better as that's pretty much what the old one cost after upgrading. It's not so much a price hike as just eliminating the lowest model but it still pushes the entry point up and out of some people's reach.

Having to live with another slow Core 2 Duo isn't great either. There's not much they can do as Intel haven't made affordable quad mobile chips and desktop quads like the i5 and i7 need much bigger PSUs than they'd get into a Mini shell but a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo option would have been nice for just $100 more. You can buy a quad i5 2.66GHz PC tower for the same price as the dual 2.4GHz Mini so poor CPU performance per dollar.

At least the 320M makes up for it somewhat and I'm very pleased to see it in the Mini - probably the first time the mini has exceeded the iMac spec. Taking off a USB port wasn't very nice though, I was using that extra port.

It's great they put the PSU inside - hopefully that doesn't heat it up too much - as that external brick went against the Mini's small size.

Overall, I was (as Forstall would put it) blown away by the update but the price hike really put a damper on the whole thing for me. Add in the iPhone price hike too and it's just plain depressing. Ah well, since the only Mini you can buy is so expensive now, maybe I'll get a better price for my old one.

It's just so tiring seeing Apple raising prices in this economy. People have little enough money as it is without raising the entry prices so they have to do without or end up spending more than they can afford and end up struggling to pay off the debt. I could believe that the build costs are higher but they have so much cash reserves right now, is it too much to expect them to cut consumers a little slack?

Even if they sell 3 million Minis in a year, $100 off each one is a measly $300 million. To a company with over $30 billion, it's nothing because they are still growing the profits, just by $300m less but the lower price means more sales and some of that $300m gets made up from the extra sales.
  • Reply 194 of 274
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Exactly. Watching people whine about how they wanted Apple to magically fit a quad-core in that tiny (gorgeous, by the way) little box, or how they wanted discrete graphics (something NO low-cost LOW-FOOTPRINT computer has, BTFW) or yadda yadda. Mr. Lemon Bon Bon is the worst of them all, I nearly punched the screen when I saw how much cr@p someone who's not supposed to be a troll can spill.

Some people think unibody cases and HDMI licenses are free... Oh well...

What's more ironic is how other PCs fare against the new OH-SO-EXPENSIVE Mac Mini. I just went to the Dell Online Store and built a C2D Studio Hybrid, which is, in my view, the only fair comparison since it's also a compact computer with low energy consumption that uses notebook parts. Here is what it has.

Intel C2D 2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB and 3Mb cache

4GB of 667MHz DDR2 RAM

A 320GB 5200rpm HD

Intel GMA X3100

So you get a slower processor with slower FSB. But you get 4Gb! Yay? NAY! IT'S FREAKING DD2 RAM WITH HALF THE FSB OF MAC MINI'S! THIS is what you should be complaining about.

Oh and what's THIS! The new Mini's GPU is twice as fast as a 9400M! Which is 1.5x times as fast as the X3100. [sarcasm] Wow, the Mini's integrated GPU SUCKKKKKS [/sarcasm]

The price? With Windows 7 ultimate? $839

Thanks for the info and the coloring. If they are still using the Intel GMA X3100 it's clear they are just letting that product rot so I am not sure it's a great comparison option. Though I don't have a better one to offer right now.

Quote:

Barely above $3B at this point. I think they were about $6B ahead the day after they overtook MSFT's position.

However, the trends I'm seeing will have AAPL at $300 share this summer, another record quarter and MSFT not really moving with their stock. It also looks Apple may beat RiM at per unit sales these next two quarters and Apple is getting close to exceeding MS' quarterly revenue.

On top of that, I also think that XOM could be less than 6 months away from losing it's title to AAPL.

None of these really mean much but they are milestones and impressive in their own right when you consider what an underdog Apple was just a few years ago and how many times they were told to pack it up because there was no way they success. We can start with Gates and Dell's comments about Jobs coming back to Apple.
  • Reply 195 of 274
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:

ps "non sequiter"

A puerile response
  • Reply 196 of 274
    Quote:

Stop talking sense. That'll never work.

That's for multi-quote Dave. (...and his 'multi-functional' doorstop.) *I don't know why I'm 'whining'...it's not like people *do* that when a machine has gone from well under £400 from the PPC days to £645 in these Intel days.

*whoop, it's had it's crappy integrated crappics replaced...for (gasps*) more integrated crappics... *whoo...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 197 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I love the new design, especially no need for the damn putty knives, although it still seems over-engineered. Access to the RAM looks very easy but I really wanted better access to the HDD. I'll have to wait for the ifixit guys to get on it to see if it's as simple as unscrewing the visible screws under the rubber base.

I'm disappointed with the price hike, especially with no 7200 rpm drive and still 2GB RAM. If it was even 250GB 7200RPM and 4GB RAM, it would be much better as that's pretty much what the old one cost after upgrading. It's not so much a price hike as just eliminating the lowest model but it still pushes the entry point up and out of some people's reach.

Having to live with another slow Core 2 Duo isn't great either. There's not much they can do as Intel haven't made affordable quad mobile chips and desktop quads like the i5 and i7 need much bigger PSUs than they'd get into a Mini shell but a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo option would have been nice for just $100 more. You can buy a quad i5 2.66GHz PC tower for the same price as the dual 2.4GHz Mini so poor CPU performance per dollar.

At least the 320M makes up for it somewhat and I'm very pleased to see it in the Mini - probably the first time the mini has exceeded the iMac spec. Taking off a USB port wasn't very nice though, I was using that extra port.

It's great they put the PSU inside - hopefully that doesn't heat it up too much - as that external brick went against the Mini's small size.

Overall, I was (as Forstall would put it) blown away by the update but the price hike really put a damper on the whole thing for me. Add in the iPhone price hike too and it's just plain depressing. Ah well, since the only Mini you can buy is so expensive now, maybe I'll get a better price for my old one.

It's just so tiring seeing Apple raising prices in this economy. People have little enough money as it is without raising the entry prices so they have to do without or end up spending more than they can afford and end up struggling to pay off the debt. I could believe that the build costs are higher but they have so much cash reserves right now, is it too much to expect them to cut consumers a little slack?

Even if they sell 3 million Minis in a year, $100 off each one is a measly $300 million. To a company with over $30 billion, it's nothing because they are still growing the profits, just by $300m less but the lower price means more sales and some of that $300m gets made up from the extra sales.

'Blown away by the update.'

Me too. :/ *Jaw swings loosely in the breeze...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 198 of 274
    Quote:

Humanitarian tech' company that crosses teh boundaries of liberal prices and glacial tech' updates on their desktops.

'Tiring'. No kidding.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 199 of 274
    Quote:

ps "non sequiter"

As in, does not follow from the previous statement.

If you're trying to insult me you will have to try harder.

PS: non sequitur
  • Reply 200 of 274
    Quote:

As in, does not follow from the previous statement.

If you're trying to insult me you will have to try harder.

PS: non sequitur

"curmudgeon |kərˈməjən|

noun

a bad-tempered or surly person."

*hmmm.

'You're surly!'

'You're bad-tempered.'

Hmmm.*

I suppose the fancy way of saying it makes it sound better than it actually is.

A bit like the price on the 'new' Mac mini. If we price it higher...then it's got to be a better computer, right?

*I can just hear Apple marketing now.

Lemon Bon Bon.