Apple's online, phone order systems struggle with iPhone 4 demand

Comments

• Reply 161 of 210
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I checked out the local Radio Shack-- an average size store.

The manager said the were out-- that store was only allocated 4.

He also said that Radio Shack corporate stopped accepting June 24 orders an hour after the order process began. And, all day, RS management has been begging Apple for more.

• Reply 162 of 210
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Downloaded the App Store app this morning, fired it up, and reserved myself an iPhone for pickup on June 24 at 7 a.m. at the local Apple Store!

Took me all of 5 minutes. (Would've been faster if I didn't play a game of Tetris after downloading the app!)

• Reply 163 of 210
    The darn site has been down all day. AT&T's site is down as well. Radio Shack was declined pre-order at the last minute. There's no way to order this darn thing and it looks terrible for Apple! The number 1 technology company in the world can't sell it's product because of server trouble...are you kidding me...
  • Reply 164 of 210
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Huh? If someone else enters my phone number I (and no one else) get an email or text asking me to confirm and provide additional data if needed.

What is AT&T supposed to do with a reservation until the user confirms?

If someone besides the owner has physical control of a handset, they can confirm without knowing anything personal about the owner.

There are ways for information to leak besides pre-populating forms.
  • Reply 165 of 210
    I tried placing my first pre-order around 7am PST and have tried about ten times throughout the day...all failed. Would get to the "verifying AT&T" account info screen and it would either time out or generate some kind of error. Just tried it again (4pm) and this time, I was shown a message on the left about unable to verify account info but continue to reserve one for in-store pickup. On the right, it showed my nearest store and I continued. Had to login to my apple account and then got a "review info" screen. They had the phone listed at $699 instead of $299 which I'm eligible for. I went ahead and reserved it and figured by the time I go to pick it up, the whole mess will be cleared up by then and I can get it for the upgrade price...

I'm just wondering what kind of fun it's going to be on the 24th getting it activated based on today...
  • Reply 166 of 210
    daemonkdaemonk Posts: 49member
    Are there any news on ordering the white ones yet?

It's why I haven't pre-ordered yet.
  • Reply 167 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

People will get fed up with the iPhone ordering process and see that the Aria is a much better phone in both hardware and software. It will mark the downfall of the iPhone.

Again with the wishful thinking. Whether or not the Aria is a better phone will not matter as the Android handset ecosystem is evolving so quickly that it actually works against any single device becoming a blockbuster. HTC or some other player will introduce a "better" Android handset within three months effectively cutting the legs out from under the device. The Aria will be a blip on AT&T and other telecom's sales charts. People talk about Apple products occasionally cannibalizing sales, the Android market is already starting to eat its young and it will only get worse as more handset makers enter the fray.

For a vision of the Android market in a year and the Aria's chance of being the downfall of the iPhone, take a look at the Japanese market where new handsets come out monthly. Non-Apple manufacturers have been in a feature race for over a decade where the three carriers have temporary exclusivity on a particular handset. With the result being the only phone capable of generating a queue of people upon its release being the iPhone.
  • Reply 168 of 210
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

People will get fed up with the iPhone ordering process and see that the Aria is a much better phone in both hardware and software. It will mark the downfall of the iPhone.

But Meizu will clean Aria's clock. Just you wait!
  • Reply 169 of 210
    mkeathmkeath Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flipperfeet View Post

Again with the wishful thinking. Whether or not the Aria is a better phone will not matter as the Android handset ecosystem is evolving so quickly that it actually works against any single device becoming a blockbuster. HTC or some other player will introduce a "better" Android handset within three months effectively cutting the legs out from under the device. The Aria will be a blip on AT&T and other telecom's sales charts. People talk about Apple products occasionally cannibalizing sales, the Android market is already starting to eat its young and it will only get worse as more handset makers enter the fray.

Uh, you realize that these handset manufacturers don't care about selling a ton of one device as long as their overall numbers are strong right? Besides, people don't identify these things as an HTC phone or a Motorola phone. They identify them as Google phones.
  • Reply 170 of 210
    Win: At 7.41 PM Eastern (whatever) Time, my order with Apple Online Store went through! That too, with home delivery, not pick-up at Apple Store (I started to get the latter option by mid-afternoon - but I wanted home delivery, since I am going to be out of town on June 24).

Hallelujah! Hang in there, folks.

• Reply 171 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sixfootbrit View Post

...Pre-ordered at 4:08 EST, 32GB. Phew! What an ordeal. Don't know if it makes any difference, but I ordered through Apple's website after logging into my account. Had tried without logging in since 10am EST.

Similar story, I had been trying since 5:00 AM PDT. I saw the above post and thought what the heck. Logged-in first and got through on my first attempt.
  • Reply 172 of 210
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    At first, I thought that a lot of complaints were from those that never got caught in a traffic jam during rush hour.

But then it would imply that most of you are old enough to drive.

As one of my profs used to say when he heard such assumptions, "Wishful thinking young man. Wishful thinking."

Now I have to apologize to my nieces, their friends and all the other thousands of kids who camped out all night so they could get tickets to see Justin Bieber in concert. Obvious they are far more mature that much of the lot here.
  • Reply 173 of 210
    Quote:

Similar story, I had been trying since 5:00 AM PDT. I saw the above post and thought what the heck. Logged-in first and got through on my first attempt.

People are reporting that crossing your fingers, whispering 'Jobs Jobs Jobs' and kneeling when you do so - all when you order - also produces a favorable outcome on the first try!
  • Reply 174 of 210
    8:10 PM EDT and got my pre-order in for home delivery. Also managed to add on a dock adapter as well hoping that my shopping cart wouldn't crash. I've been trying on and off thru the day both via the web and app. Funny thing is now, it's one the apple side now in the check out system that I was seeing delays. The AT&T side went right thru with my correct plan coming up.
  • Reply 175 of 210
    Quote:

Uh, you realize that these handset manufacturers don't care about selling a ton of one device as long as their overall numbers are strong right? Besides, people don't identify these things as an HTC phone or a Motorola phone. They identify them as Google phones.

You do realize there are development and marketing costs with each handset and that longer runs make for greater ROI? (See, anyone can sound like snarky a-hole when they pretend thier audience is an idiot) Apple has anywhere from 12 to 18 months on a single handset design, Sanyo, Samsung, Nokia, Sony, etc 6 to 8 months on dozens.

That people think they are buying "Google phones" will be news to Google, HTC, Moto and others, since these companies are spending truckloads of money to brand these devices and count on consumers factoring in the OS, manufacturer and model to differentiate one Android handset from the other, and from the iPhone. Your assertion that the "average consumer" refers to these as Google phones is rather interesting since the Google logo and name do not even appear in any of the Android related advertising. Early adopters may think of them as Google phones, but even you referred to it as the "HTC Aria," not the next Google phone. I think you sort shot down your own argument.
  • Reply 176 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

People are reporting that crossing your fingers, whispering 'Jobs Jobs Jobs' and kneeling when you do so - all when you order - also produces a favorable outcome on the first try!

Those reports are false, that method did not work on the 6th or 15th attempt.
  • Reply 177 of 210
    Quote:

You do realize there are development and marketing costs with each handset and that longer runs make for greater ROI? (See, anyone can sound like snarky a-hole when they pretend thier audience is an idiot) Apple has anywhere from 12 to 18 months on a single handset design, Sanyo, Samsung, Nokia, Sony, etc 6 to 8 months on dozens.

That people think they are buying "Google phones" will be news to Google, HTC, Moto and others, since these companies are spending truckloads of money to brand these devices and count on consumers factoring in the OS, manufacturer and model to differentiate one Android handset from the other, and from the iPhone. Your assertion that the "average consumer" refers to these as Google phones is rather interesting since the Google logo and name do not even appear in any of the Android related advertising. Early adopters may think of them as Google phones, but even you referred to it as the "HTC Aria," not the next Google phone. I think you sort shot down your own argument.

You're making way too much sense for this mkeath guy. I don't think you'll get a response......
  • Reply 178 of 210
    Apple should contract their work to someone who can do it. I mean look, 3rd party download systems work better most of the time, and are much cheaper. Apple needs to ether step up it's game or give the work to someone who can do it.
  • Reply 179 of 210
    jules771jules771 Posts: 22member
    Good grief!

You lot are a bunch of chimps aren't you?

What's going to happen if you have to "PRE-ORDER" tomorrow? Going to get your iphone next week are you?

Pavlov really hit the nail on the head.

Pathetic..
  • Reply 180 of 210
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Dozens of attempts over the course of 15 hours... but I still haven't been able to order one. Even at 6am eastern time, the website was broken. In fact, it was replaced by a we're sorry splash page for almost an hour.

I may have reserved one for pickup though. Without a confirmation email, who knows?

Did anyone receive a confirmation email?

EDIT: Finally managed to get a 32GB order through at around 9:45pm.