Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.4 with trackpad, CS3 related fixes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

10.6.4 updates Mail to version 4.3, which breaks the GrowlMail plugin. I just learned it the hard way and am pretty annoyed right now, since it saves the time hassle of opening Mail every time I get a message to see what it is. If you use GrowlMail and 10.6.3 works fine for you, wait for a GrowlMail update first!

This is common for every update to Mail. The solution is simple:

http://langui.sh/2009/11/09/fixing-g...-for-mail-4-2/

Edit:

The above link was for Mail 4.2. Mail 4.3 needs different UUIDs as in this updated post:

http://langui.sh/2010/06/15/fixing-g...-6-4-mail-4-3/
  • Reply 22 of 68
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    On my MacBook5,2 the update was less than 300MB and works fine. If you depend on iCal, note that this app is updated as well.

The update failed on my MacBook6,1. I have tried it both via Software Update and via the 800MB+ download from Apple's website. I am now going through the Repair Permissions routine.

If you are also having problems, please post as I would like to know what is going on.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

To be clear, my testing was done by disabling an extenstion and seeing if the site crashed again. This isn't foolproof and it could still be a Safari issue even if an extension was the catalyst for Safari being flaky. Still I'd say my testing could fall under post hoc, ergo propter hoc, but I have had the issue since disabling select extensions so I'll wait for an update before re-enabling them.

Good place, I'm not so sure, but a couple decent sites I've found are:

Thanks!

After updating I have to say that Safari feels snappier? - no seriously it does.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Installed 10.6.4, fixed my issue my MBP (which the had the logical board replaced) with CS3. CS3 suite is running again. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83499.html
  • Reply 25 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Per ChristophB, TRIM in still not supported in 10.6.4 (10F569), but this could be machine dependent at this time so I'll verify with my current MBP.

That's unfortunate if true. It's way past time for this. It's sad to see that MS has beaten Apple to this with support in Win 7.

The drives that don't seem to need trim are the ones with the Sandforce controller, but even though the source is a reliable one, I'm not entirely sure he's correct for the long term, and those drives are expensive. I've been recommending to people that they stay away from SSD'a until trim is here.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    shieslshiesl Posts: 8member
    Downloaded the update. Opened CS3 InDesign. Opened a one page PageMaker document. Changed the fonts. Attempted to "Save". Crash. Tried again. Attempted to "Save as ...". Crash. Does not seem the problem with CS3 has been fixed.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Are you running Extensions? I haven't had any kernel panics, but I have had Safari 5 crash often since trying out Extensions. Unfortunately the Crash Logs aren't helpful, but by systematically turning Extensions on I think I've isolated the culprits.

I'm pretty sure one of those crashy extensions is adblocker, because that's all I have and my Safari has been crashing many multiple times a day since the update.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Ah yes, another OS X point release and the usual run of posts expecting god knows what to be "fixed". Every user has their favorite "known", "documented", and "ignored by Apple" bug that only they have but assume everybody has. Just like clockwork.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    danvid36danvid36 Posts: 80member
    Updated and so far there are no issues...it does seem to be snappier so I will have to run geekbench to find out for sure.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ah yes, another OS X point release and the usual run of posts expecting god knows what to be "fixed". Every user has their favorite "known", "documented", and "ignored by Apple" bug that only they have but assume everybody has. Just like clockwork.

It fixed my no-issues problem.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's unfortunate if true. It's way past time for this. It's sad to see that MS has beaten Apple to this with support in Win 7.

The drives that don't seem to need trim are the ones with the Sandforce controller, but even though the source is a reliable one, I'm not entirely sure he's correct for the long term, and those drives are expensive. I've been recommending to people that they stay away from SSD'a until trim is here.

Just checked. My 13" mid-2010 MBP with the NVidia MCP89 AHCI SATA controller stills says No under TRIM support.

I wonder if Apple is using those middle of the road SSDs because they don't have on-board garbage collection that works with HFS file systems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm pretty sure one of those crashy extensions is adblocker, because that's all I have and my Safari has been crashing many multiple times a day since the update.

While I agree, as my experience and that of a friend suggest, I want to be clear that it's not a slam on AdBlock. It could very well be that Safari 5 is having a problem with a properly configured extension.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

That will always be the case until Apple can figure out a way to fix stupid.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Here's hoping to the wireless SMB file copy issues being resolved.

Ugh. Failed.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Just checked. My 13" mid-2010 MBP with the NVidia MCP89 AHCI SATA controller stills says No under TRIM support.

I wonder if Apple is using those middle of the road SSDs because they don't have on-board garbage collection that works with HFS file systems.

A lot of big companies use those Samsung SSD's which aren't fast, but seem to be reliable. The performance isn't good. Neither is it good for most SSD's. And after they slow down after a month or so, it hardly paid to have bought them. Saving a few seconds opening programs may feel good, but has little to do with the performance of the computer.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yesterday's drop and what was released today is the same build. My dev machine is a 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,2) with an Intel X25-M Gen2 SSD running the latest and TRIM supported firmware, 2CV102HD. Still no dice on TRIM support in System Profiler. Please let me know if you have different luck on other hardware. For my part, I'll be pissed if it does work for others but happy for you at the same time.

Edit: I wonder if/when people who bought the stock SSD start to raise hell about performance, Apple will give us some indication when we can expect support. * crosses fingers *
  • Reply 35 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That's weird I have that but no freezes or crashes at all ... I'm running in Mac Pro 8 Core.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Dang, I was hoping it would add iPhone-style scrolling to MacBook Pros prior to the current gen. Oh well, I guess It was a long shot anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Dictionary.app keeps crashing on me as soon as I open it and put the mouse anywhere on the window. I suppose the combo update is in order now.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    kulak18kulak18 Posts: 16member
    I wonder it they fixed the file transfer on iChat. Not sure if everyone else is having problem, but I sure am.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    For the 2nd update in a row (I bought a 15" Mac Book Pro in mid-May and had to download 10.6.3 and some other files) the MBP did not restart after installation and I had to do a safe reboot followed by a restart.

I'm going to call AppleCare tomorrow to see if this means anything. Otherwise, I've had no bad symptoms with the new MBP and even took it to California for a week without incident.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

For the 2nd update in a row (I bought a 15" Mac Book Pro in mid-May and had to download 10.6.3 and some other files) the MBP did not restart after installation and I had to do a safe reboot followed by a restart.

I'm going to call AppleCare tomorrow to see if this means anything. Otherwise, I've had no bad symptoms with the new MBP and even took it to California for a week without incident.

Just happened on my mid-2009 MBP as well. The "suck" is that I think my apple care is expired.