AT&T sold out of iPhone 4 pre-orders as Best Buy halts white pre-orders

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta

Yep. No one will ever buy the iPhone 4. It's overpriced, ugly, and it's only on AT&T.

Meanwhile, [...]

Apple is DOOMED.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

So what point are you arrogantly trying to make? That AT&T's network is great and all the complaints about the network are from Apple haters?

Btw, that "apple is doomed" joke is very funny. I've actually read it here before and it gets funnier everytime it's told.

Stockholders. So typical.

somebody did not understand the joke! Learn the sarcastic intent mate!
  • Reply 62 of 77
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    I tried reserving the iPhone all damn day but the server was all screwy and now it's already to a point where I have to wait in line the day before?

What a joke... I don't know who I'm supposed to be mad at, AT&T or Apple.

July 2nd for delivery?
  • Reply 63 of 77
    phastmacphastmac Posts: 12member
    I keep getting the spinner. I've tried about 5 times today but only getting the continuous spinner, even after 15 minutes. Will keep trying when I have free time in the next couple days, no rush.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i went to my local AT&T store at 2:15 pm EST and completed my checkout at 2:30 pm EST. at a little after 6 pm EST, i received this email from AT&T;

Thank you for ordering iPhone 4 from AT&T. Your device has been reserved. Today was the busiest sales day in our history. Because of the incredible volume of orders we received, there is a slight chance that some customers may receive their devices between June 25 and June 28. Rest assured, we are doing all we can to ship devices to customers for delivery on the 24th. You do not need to take any action at this point.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, Best Buy began the day taking deposits (image, below) for white iPhone 4s in addition to black models, despite Apple's disclosure that white models would not be available until sometime after the June 24th launch. But around 4pm, the big-box retailer was asked by Apple to cease all reservations for white models.

It's unclear whether Best Buy is guaranteeing its reservations to customers.

They better not. That's total bullsh*t. I, like many other thousands I'm sure, clearly saw on the web that Apple was not taking pre-orders for the white iPhone 4. Since Apple wasn't, then that automatically extends to 3rd party retailers as well. Sorry, but any reservation that was made for a white iPhone 4 placed through Best Buy etc should be voided. It's bad enough that I am having to wait to pre-order the white model after Apple gave no indication of a supply problem; its even worse to think that now there are people ahead of me due to a big box retailer f*cking up. Surprise surprise.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    lucky13lucky13 Posts: 23member
    I did the pre-order through AT&T and got an email later stating

"ship on or after June 24th,"

Does anyone have something different that in the email for AT&T?
  • Reply 67 of 77
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

Bummed about the white though. We were both planning to get white ones as of last night. I just don't want to wait indefinitely (or in a line) for them to come available.

Unless I find out there are no White iPhone 4s in existence, I'm going to risk a couple of days being at the top of the queue at the flagship Palo Alto store beginning Tuesday in the hope that a few White ones will be shipped to that store for walk in sales. \
  • Reply 68 of 77
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep. No one will ever buy the iPhone 4. It's overpriced, ugly, and it's only on AT&T.

Meanwhile, it looks like ANOTHER record sales day. My order confirmation from AT&T says that this was the busiest sales day in AT&T history.

Apple is DOOMED.....

This is a catastrophe for the competition. Who else has this kind of response to a new product?
  • Reply 69 of 77
    As someone else mentioned earlier, I was also surprised that BB was taking pre-orders for the white iPhone. I stopped at my store around 3:00PM EDT. You essentially end up buying a $50 gift card for BB that you can turn around and use for the purchase of the phone. I was the 9th person to pre-order in the store. Not sure how many of people ahead of me ordered white. I have not received any kind of phone call from my store saying that I need to change my order. We'll see what happens.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I was feeling so bad yesterday because with the new data plans and rise in costs for the AT&T compared to my Tmobile plan, I couldn't pull the trigger on a new iPhone. Yet I'm probably going to get something good out of it just becaue Craigslist is now FULL of smartphones that no one wants. I've never seen so many discounted smartphones.

It's really tempting now to go grab one of them and give myself an upgrade, especially since my own phone carries a little extra value for being unlocked. The iPhone 3GS is fighting to get $300 (most are $290 to get attention) where I'm at and I saw multiple Moto Droids at barely $200. I've got a line on one with 16 gigs, case and obviously it is barely seven months old for $180. An off contract smartphone for not even $200. WOW!

I may not be one of the cool kids on day one, but if I'm carrying around your old phone for a month while you carry around a prepaid Nokia waiting for your new iPhone to ship, who's cool in the meantime?

Thanks Apple for raising the bar. The $350 Nexius One (or something similar) might be in my hand soon as a result.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Placed order yesterday morning via AT&T online at 6 a.m. Got a confirmation number but no confirmation email.

When I checked the online order status today, the order is shown as being placed TODAY and BACKORDERED.

Double boned.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cordisco View Post

Placed order yesterday morning via AT&T online at 6 a.m. Got a confirmation number but no confirmation email.

When I checked the online order status today, the order is shown as being placed TODAY and BACKORDERED.

Double boned.

Check again. I placed my order at 4am PST. Earlier today it did not show up. Then it showed a one in Back-Ordered, then two hours later it showed a zero in Back-Ordered.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is a catastrophe for the competition. Who else has this kind of response to a new product?

AFAIK, the iPhone 3GS was the fastest launch for a consumer electronics device ever. This one appears to be even faster. AT&T, at least, said yesterday was their busiest sales day EVER. The same thing seems to be true in other locations, as well.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    beast42beast42 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

I did the pre-order through AT&T and got an email later stating

"ship on or after June 24th,"

Does anyone have something different that in the email for AT&T?

No, I got the same thing. I pre-ordered mine at the AT&T store around 11am. The store had opened at 10am and I was one of the first 10 people or so to order one there. The salesperson assured me that it would arrive on the 24th. I would also be curious to see if anyone else who managed to pre-order at an AT&T store yesterday got a confirmation email saying something different from that.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I tried reserving the iPhone all damn day but the server was all screwy and now it's already to a point where I have to wait in line the day before?

What a joke... I don't know who I'm supposed to be mad at, AT&T or Apple.

July 2nd for delivery?

Yeah, those bastards? Seriously, what are you...12? They were dealing with INSANE demand. It's no surprise that servers crashed. They had hundreds of thousands of people trying to order. Big surprise. Maybe when you turn 13 you'll understand such things.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    We interrupt your currently scheduled forum for this emergency message:

There is no "EST", "CST", or "PST" right now. There is, however, MST and HST for Arizona and Hawaii. The literal meaning of "Something happened at 10am EST" currently means that it actually happened at 11am, which is not what I think any of you mean.

Why go out of your way to include the 'S' or 'D', when simply putting "ET" or "PT" would get your point across and actually be correct no matter the time of year?

Thank you. We now return you to your scheduled programming.

• Reply 77 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

We interrupt your currently scheduled forum for this emergency message:

There is no "EST", "CST", or "PST" right now. There is, however, MST and HST for Arizona and Hawaii. The literal meaning of "Something happened at 10am EST" currently means that it actually happened at 11am, which is not what I think any of you mean.

Why go out of your way to include the 'S' or 'D', when simply putting "ET" or "PT" would get your point across and actually be correct no matter the time of year?

Thank you. We now return you to your scheduled programming.

The fact that you have to explain it means it's not common. I bet there are many who won't understand your post or will understand it just fine but have never heard of PDT or EDT.

They certainly aren't commonly used which is why I went with the familiar usage to refer to my time zone, because in the end the point of language is to get your point across, not to be pedantic yet accruate. Since the day of the year and location is clear there should be no confusion as to whether Daylight Savings is in effect or not. The primary goal is get a firm understanding in an instance based on ones current Time Zone.