New iPhone 4 orders from Apple won't ship until July 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has sold out of launch day preorders for the forthcoming iPhone 4, and new orders from the company's website are now said to ship by July 2, more than a week after the handset's launch date.

The delay for those who didn't get in on the first round of preorders applies to both the 16GB and 32GB capacities of iPhone 4. Customers can only preorder the black model, as the white iPhone 4 is currently unavailable for any reservation.

Update: Orders that ship by July 2 are scheduled for delivery between July 6 and July 8, according to Apple, meaning customers may have to wait as long as two weeks after launch to receive the device.

Still available is last year's model, the iPhone 3GS, for delivery on the June 24 launch date. The 8GB phone, which lacks this year's upgrades like a forward facing camera, is just $99 with a two-year contract from AT&T.

Apple's update follows news on Tuesday from AT&T, the exclusive wireless provider of the iPhone in the U.S., which also sold out of its launch day allotment. New orders placed directly through AT&T will not arrive until June 25 or later, "depending on when the order is placed," the company said.

AT&T revealed that the first day of preorders for iPhone 4 was the busiest online sales day in the company's history. The company's systems had difficulty authorizing existing customers for upgrades, and Apple also began rejecting callers from its 800-MY-APPLE number.

The new iPhone is set to debut debut next week in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has announced that the iPhone 4 international launch will ramp up to 87 total countries by September, its fastest global deployment of a new handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    One would think they'd have their ducks in a row by now. But noooooooooo... Nothing but poorly aligned ducks!
  • Reply 2 of 64
    ortalortal Posts: 25member
    wow... so much for 'why bother to preorder today, just get it tomorrow'
  • Reply 3 of 64
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Now that all launch day orders are done, I don't understand why they don't start taking White orders for delivery sometime in July.??? I setup a White iPhone 4 News thread so we could all more easily share any White info we discover among ourselves - being all the White wanters.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ortal View Post

wow... so much for 'why bother to preorder today, just get it tomorrow'

You mean a week from tomorrow right?
  • Reply 5 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Wow. What a fiasco. Good thing I managed to get my order in last night (the confirmation says "ships on June 24" so who knows when it will arrive.)

That said, waiting an extra week wouldn't have killed me.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    mjuchtermjuchter Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. What a fiasco. Good thing I managed to get my order in last night (the confirmation says "ships on June 24" so who knows when it will arrive.)

Does the order say "ships on June 24" or "arrives by June 24?" I got my order in late yesterday and, as of this posting, it still says "Has not yet shipped. Delivered by June 24." While I hope that doesn't change, I could wait a week or two longer for this new phone.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Fiasco, for sure, but I have to wonder how much of it could have been prevented. Surely AT&Ts DB is an issue on a few levels, but I'll need to know the volume they sold in less than 24 hours.

Note: this does not equal the number of people or their accumulated attempts to buy the device.

As for waiting an extra week, it wouldn't have killed me but it would have been an unpleasant week.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Just found this post over at MacRumors from last night:

White iPhone Availabe Mid-August

Quote:

Went by my local Best Buy and the phone sales guy said they'd recently received word that the white iPhones wouldn't be available until mid-August. The sales guy said he had to call several people who had pre-ordered under the assumption of getting the white one to deliver the bad news.

I'm officially in shock. That's 2 months from now and considered LATE Summer. This will have a huge impact on my next year's eligibility for early upgrade to the iPhone 5.

I'm thinking of going over to AT&T to see if I can begin my new 2 year contract NOW before I get the iPhone 4. That way I've got a better chance of qualifying for max discount on the iPhone 5 at launch next year.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Pre-booking orders with a one week wait isn't exactly a fiasco. It seems we may have all lost perspective somewhere along the way here.

(Edit: To clarify, yeah the overloaded pre-order process was somewhat of a fiaso. A one week wait on a new product, not so much a fiasco.)
  • Reply 10 of 64
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Doesn't really matter what the ship date is if you can't even put an order into their system.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Finally got my order in today. I tried every 2-3 hours yesterday with no luck.

Anyways, it looks like I was able to go down a couple data plans to $15/mo. for 200MB/mo. With the lower bill, I changed my message plan from f* no! to OK, maybe a few (200/mo.)
  • Reply 12 of 64
    ortalortal Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

You mean a week from tomorrow right?

right right, i meant why hassle to preorder it today when i can just preorder it tomorrow and get it all the same

Im still getting it as sold out though ATT... i have to go through ATT to get my corporate discount.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

One would think they'd have their ducks in a row by now. But noooooooooo... Nothing but poorly aligned ducks!

AT&T claims that yesterday was their best sales day EVER. Based on reports from around the world, the same may be true of other carriers.

Based on that, Apple probably got over al million preorders yesterday (based on the fact that the iPhone 3GS sold over a million on the first weekend). That would make it the fastest selling consumer electronics item IN HISTORY (pushing the iPhone 3Gs into second position). And even with that level of sales, they're talking about only a week delay in getting new orders into the customers' hands. That's pretty impressive performance. (For comparison, if you wanted a Wii console at peak order times, you could be waiting MONTHS, not a few extra days. Even 3 years after launch, Nintendo can't deliver Wii devices, even though the numbers are far smaller than the iPhone numbers).

Now, inability to deliver the white model is a different story. It will be interesting to hear what the reason for that is.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    mydnytemydnyte Posts: 17member
    I was finally able to get an order in on AT&T's website around 1pm CDT - but given all the discussion about selling out I'm beginning to wonder if I actually will receive it next week.

Thankfully, my order was an upgrade from my existing BB which had an unlimited data plan so the new plan changes aren't a concern. I was able to select the unlimited iPhone data plan based on AT&T's press release information.

Here's a more important question for those that were actually able to order/reserve and will have their iPhone next Thursday - is it prudent to wait a day or two to actually activate it? Activations on the first couple of days have always been difficult at best and bricked-phone-causing at worst. Since I'm doing an upgrade, I may just ride out the activation and monitor reports on the blogs to see how things are going.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I'm telling the AT&T clerk that had to take my order manually yesterday morning that if my iPhone doesn't arrive on June 25th, to cancel my order.

It's insulting enough to know that I tried for 3 hours online to pre-order one, then stand in line for an hour only to know that 90 people are going to walk into that AT&T store on June 24 and walk out with iPhone's while I have to wait until July 2nd.

I'm sick of AT&T's bullsh**.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjuchter View Post

Does the order say "ships on June 24" or "arrives by June 24?" I got my order in late yesterday and, as of this posting, it still says "Has not yet shipped. Delivered by June 24." While I hope that doesn't change, I could wait a week or two longer for this new phone.

Yep, it says "Ships on June 24." \

I guess I am in the mezzanine tier, between June 24 and July 2. Oh well, I'll live.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

...... changed my message plan from f* no! to OK, maybe a few (200/mo.)

MODERATORS!!!!! Someone is using ba-a-a-a-d language (but pretending not to).......
  • Reply 18 of 64
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

MODERATORS!!!!! Someone is using ba-a-a-a-d language (but pretending not to).......

Lol, thank you Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I got 3 orders in late yesterday. Things seemed to get better after 7pm EDT. Oddly enough, I expected it to get worse as people flocked home from work but then I remembered the unemployment numbers and realized that no one is at work. All 3 phones are scheduled to arrive on launch day.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Fiasco, for sure, but I have to wonder how much of it could have been prevented. Surely AT&Ts DB is an issue on a few levels, but I'll need to know the volume they sold in less than 24 hours.

Note: this does not equal the number of people or their accumulated attempts to buy the device.

As for waiting an extra week, it wouldn't have killed me but it would have been an unpleasant week.

I was lucky... I reserved a black one at 5AM MST from the Apple website and got my confirmation email within 3 minutes. So I will pick mine up on the 24th.

But it seems as though this was not AT&Ts fault this time......

It seems Apple had inventory issues right from the start. The white one not being available and now delayed shipments. For sure AT&T had problems with their website but then so did Apple. Now they have delayed shipments and low inventory. They opened the doors to more vendors like Best Buy and RS and Walmart but if the inventory is low then these vendors will only get a very limited allocation for each of the vendor stores. This will lead to even more consumer frustration as they will not be able to get the product from anywhere. I wonder if this was orchestrated or if there was some last minute production issue we don't yet know about!!! Just my 2 cents.