AT&T suspends iPhone 4 preorders as security breach reports grow

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T on Wednesday stopped accepting iPhone 4 preorders entirely, informing consumers that sales were temporarily suspended due to demand ten times higher than for the iPhone 3GS. Also, new claims arose that users' credit card information and shipping addresses have shown up within the wrong online accounts.

"Given this unprecedented demand and our current expectations for our iPhone 4 inventory levels when the device is available June 24, we're suspending pre-ordering today in order to fulfill the orders we've already received," the company announced in a statement Wednesday. "The availability of additional inventory will determine if we can resume taking pre-orders."

It continued: "In addition to unprecedented pre-order sales, yesterday there were more than 13 million visits to AT&T's website where customers can check to see if they are eligible to upgrade to a new phone; that number is about 3-times higher than the previous record for eligibility upgrade checks in one day."

Clicking the "Pre-order Now" button on AT&T's website Wednesday morning provided a notice that simply read "Pre-orders for iPhone temporarily suspended." No further details were provided.

The ten-times-greater demand figure was also cited in Germany, where iPhone 4 preorders have also far exceeded that of the iPhone 3GS in 2009.

In addition, some who have attempted to purchase a phone through AT&T's website found that it reverted back to pre-iPhone 4 availability and pricing of the iPhone 3GS. The options showed a 16GB iPhone 3GS for $149, and a 32GB model for $199. The iPhone 3G was also shown for $99, and all three models were said to require a new 2-year contract.

AT&T completely sold out of iPhone 4 preorders on Tuesday, the first day of availability before next week's official launch.

The company said it was its busiest online sales day in history, ten times higher than for the iPhone 3GS. New orders were said to receive their handset on June 25 or later.

Meanwhile, rumors of an alleged security breach with AT&T continued to grow, with Gizmodo reporting on readers who say they were shown information that wasn't theirs on the company's website.

One reader attempting to cancel his premium Wi-Fi account was allegedly shown the wrong credit card type, number and expiration date, suggesting it may have been someone else's data. In the attached screenshot, parts of the credit card number were automatically redacted from view.

The report also alleged that the issues on AT&T's side have extended to Apple's website, where one customer was shown the wrong information -- including the account number, name and address of someone else. That reader said Apple's website pulled the information from AT&T in order to verify the shipping address for the handset.

Finally another reader said they were sent confirmation for an iPhone 4 order that they never placed.

"I thought it was fake at first but after checking the status on AT&T's website I knew it was a real order," they wrote. "Now I just wonder if it will come to my house."

AT&T earlier issued a statement to say that it is looking into the reports of various security issues surrounding iPhone preorders. The company said that previous incidents where information was allegedly displayed "did not include call-detail records, social security numbers, or credit card information."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have to wonder if this isn't a malicious attack of some kind that has caused all this. It's hard to imagine it is just a technical screw up. But then again ...\
  • Reply 2 of 77
    What a mess...! Glad I went with my Sprint Evo. Great service, great device, no security breaches, and no iPhone 4 lottery (and a ton cheaper per month to boot!).
  • Reply 3 of 77
    This does not look good for AT&T. Have they never learned? Every year, they can't properly prepare for the demand the iPhone gets around launch time. I think they're done. The most annoying part is iTunes activation after the purchase. I am dreading that part again, but we all know its going to happen.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T continued to grow, with Gizmodo reporting on readers who say they were shown i

Finally another reader said they were sent confirmation for an iPhone 4 order that they never placed.

"I thought it was fake at first but after checking the status on AT&T's website I knew it was a real order," they wrote. "Now I just wonder if it will come to my house."

Heck, send a free one to my house!
  • Reply 5 of 77
    Yes, for a while, my order had the wrong cell number. Then I have received numerous in-store pickup notifications of both 16 and 32 phones. I hope someone has misreserved a white one for me!
  • Reply 6 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

What a mess...! Glad I went with my Sprint Evo. Great service, great device, no security breaches, and no iPhone 4 lottery (and a ton cheaper per month to boot!).

awesome Evo, did you get the detachable face version?
  • Reply 7 of 77
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    No issues here.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrizzoDesigns View Post

awesome Evo, did you get the detachable face version?

Nope, mine's in perfect shape. Much better than my cracked corners white iPhone 3GS after 1 month of use (with no abuse)!
  • Reply 9 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have to wonder if this isn't a malicious attack of some kind that has caused all this. It's hard to imagine it is just a technical screw up. But then again ...\

Sounds like server overload in conjunction with sloppy programming. Under normal conditions the server sends you a cookie which tracks you through your session. When the server gets overloaded it fails to read the cookie or issue it and then does a search on " " and there are other people with a cookie of the same value of " " as well. The sloppy programming part is that the server actually allows blank or broken sessions to be valid.

One reason you see really long sessions values in the URL string with big time jsp deployments. It's ugly, but that way you don't have to depend solely on a cookie for the session value.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    I ordered an iPhone 4 last night for the wife through Apple and it went through as smoothly as normal. I got the standard thank you screen after completion and got the immediate order acknowledgement email. Thanks Apple
  • Reply 11 of 77
    spuditspudit Posts: 49member
    Where's the fire? This stuff is nothing new...Apple and ATT have been dealing with the same problems every time a new iPhone comes out. I'm sure they have all hands on deck and yet it still happens.

I have no great love for ATT, but when was the last time you saw his kind of one day demand for any other smart phone? Verizon, sprint, or tmobile have never dealt with this before.....my guess is that they would fall flat on their faces.

I got my order in with no problem...I little slow perhaps, but no issues otherwise. Each year the articles come out slamming Apple and ATT, and yet we all still stand in long lines or crash their servers with our frantic orders.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Okay, when do we start blaming Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint and stating conspiracy theories, like them hiring people to do a DoS attack on AT&T's servers?
  • Reply 13 of 77
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spudit View Post

I have no great love for ATT, but when was the last time you saw his kind of one day demand for any other smart phone

Remember the Instinct? lol, did you see where Sprint redacted its EVO sales numbers?
  • Reply 14 of 77
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Okay, when do we start blaming Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint and stating conspiracy theories, like them hiring people to do a DoS attack on AT&T's servers?

Gotta blame AT&T for this mess... Im just glad my transaction went smooth. Maybe demand played a factor, too.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    I'm not saying that Verizon's system could have handled the onslaught of orders without incident, but this snafu is ridiculous.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Quote:

And a sweet 3 hour battery life!
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spudit View Post

Where's the fire? This stuff is nothing new...Apple and ATT have been dealing with the same problems every time a new iPhone comes out. I'm sure they have all hands on deck and yet it still happens.

I have no great love for ATT, but when was the last time you saw his kind of one day demand for any other smart phone? Verizon, sprint, or tmobile have never dealt with this before.....my guess is that they would fall flat on their faces.

I got my order in with no problem...I little slow perhaps, but no issues otherwise. Each year the articles come out slamming Apple and ATT, and yet we all still stand in long lines or crash their servers with our frantic orders.

No kidding. All of a sudden everyone has so much experience at running multinational corporations and IT departments that it allows them to tell us what such companies should be and shouldn't be doing at this time. I think we are clearly much better served if they log off the forum and forward their resumes over to AT&T and Apple as quickly as possible. They may be our only hope.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Good for you! Don't forget that extra special feature of the worst battery to exist in a smart-phone! Your Evo won't do you any good when it is dead half way through the day.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richardlwolff View Post

I ordered an iPhone 4 last night for the wife through Apple and it went through as smoothly as normal. I got the standard thank you screen after completion and got the immediate order acknowledgement email. Thanks Apple

I also had no problems last night through Apple's website. However, a friend of mine did experience the problem reported in this article in which the wrong account information was displayed. Obviously a glitch on AT&Ts side. I am having mine delivered because I have no interest standing in a line, even if they claim it is "reserved."
  • Reply 20 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Remember the Instinct? lol, did you see where Sprint redacted its EVO sales numbers?

OMG! 66k units!!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Gotta blame AT&T for this mess... Im just glad my transaction went smooth. Maybe demand played a factor, too.

I certainly put blame on them, but also on others, including the customers (myself included) that expected it go as smoothly as any other day.

They finally charged my account, it shows up and the Back-Order listing is still at '1'. Won't get excited again until it actually shows it has shipped.