AT&T suspends iPhone 4 preorders as security breach reports grow

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

What a mess...! Glad I went with my Sprint Evo. Great service, great device, no security breaches, and no iPhone 4 lottery (and a ton cheaper per month to boot!).

That's interesting, from reports the EVO is a big POS, terrible camera, terrible battery life, paying for 4G service even though 99% of the customers don't have it, screens peeling apart, heats up like a waffle iron, ungrounded touch sensors... grats on your awesome phone!

On the other hand I'm glad I got my pre-order in early, sadly it had MY credit card info on it haha

I really don't trust gizmodo's reporting though, I wouldn't be too surprised if this turned out to be bullshit.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

And a sweet 3 hour battery life!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Good for you! Don't forget that extra special feature of the worst battery to exist in a smart-phone! Your Evo won't do you any good when it is dead half way through the day.

Wow. Quite exaggerated posts there. My battery life is actually fine. I charged it to 100% before I left work yesterday. Used some 4G on the bus home, some this morning, little bit of navigation and other web browsing, texting, calls, etc. and I'm down to 54%. But I'll let you believe what you want, at least I can place a call now in Chicago :-)

Might want to re-evaluate how much you read into Engadget rumor mongling!
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

That's interesting, from reports the EVO is a big POS, terrible camera, terrible battery life, paying for 4G service even though 99% of the customers don't have it, screens peeling apart, heats up like a waffle iron, ungrounded touch sensors... grats on your awesome phone!

All news to me! Heats up like a waffle iron? Screen's peeling apart? Apple always releases products where not a single unit has a quality defect?

My screen wasn't even level on my 3GS!

And I do love my 4G service, even paying extra for it is cheaper than AT&T :-)
  • Reply 24 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Wow. Quite exaggerated posts there. My battery life is actually fine. I charged it to 100% before I left work yesterday. Used some 4G on the bus home, some this morning, little bit of navigation and other web browsing, texting, calls, etc. and I'm down to 54%. But I'll let you believe what you want, at least I can place a call now in Chicago :-)

Might want to re-evaluate how much you read into Engadget rumor mongling!

And this is with 4G on the entire time, not turning it on-and-off for intermittant use? How much time have you actually spent using it according to the Android stats? What are the power drain percentages with 4G on according to Android (I'd like to compare with Nexus One)?
  • Reply 25 of 77
    Why gizmodo? This is a revenge campaign.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

OMG! 66k units!!!

From the article:

"(Note that, as far as I know, this number only accounts for Sprint stores ? not third party sellers like WalMart, RadioShack, etc. Even then, this number could be incorrect, depending on how the employee uncovered the number and any updating latency involved. I doubt Sprint?s going to confirm its accuracy, so take it with a grain of salt.)"

I'm done festering with you folks now, enjoy your day!
  • Reply 27 of 77
    It was amazing the ordeal I went through to try to get my iPhone 4 ordered at an AT&T store in Spokane Wa. I was at the store 90 minutes after they opened. They had only pre-ordered about 50 in that time. When it was my turn, their whole system went down. After about 45 mins of trying to get it done, they took my order manually and were going to enter it last night. I got the call from the young lady who was helping me last night and she told me my debt card was "not valid". I called my bank and they said my account had not turned down any request for transaction which meant the AT?&T payment system was down. Long story short... I never did get my phone ordered! :-(
  • Reply 28 of 77
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

What a mess...! Glad I went with my Sprint Evo. Great service, great device, no security breaches, and no iPhone 4 lottery (and a ton cheaper per month to boot!).

glad you did, too. that's one less cry baby we have to worry about.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have to wonder if this isn't a malicious attack of some kind that has caused all this. It's hard to imagine it is just a technical screw up. But then again ...\

Isn't AT&T using macs? this isn't supposed to happen.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

All news to me! Heats up like a waffle iron? Screen's peeling apart? Apple always releases products where not a single unit has a quality defect?

My screen wasn't even level on my 3GS!

And I do love my 4G service, even paying extra for it is cheaper than AT&T :-)

What speeds do you get on 4G? Just curious.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And this is with 4G on the entire time, not turning it on-and-off for intermittant use? How much time have you actually spent using it according to the Android stats? What are the power drain percentages with 4G on according to Android (I'd like to compare with Nexus One)?

I think 4G only consumes an inordinate amount of power if a 4G network is not available because it would be constantly searching for one.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    yes, it was a security breach.

they didn't suspend orders because they pre-sold 5x their allotment yesterday... honest.

i bet 25 TIMES as many iPhone4's sell during launch than EVO's did, but then again, ATT isn't charging 97% of americans an extra 10 bucks a month for features they can't use.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I think 4G only consumes an inordinate amount of power if a 4G network is not available because it would be constantly searching for one.

I'm sure that is an issue, but WiMAX is much newer and more power hungry than UMTS. Plus, with so few chipmakers focusing on this technology and producing so few chip in comparison it's likely to be considerably less refined than it could be.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    You know when you're in line at the supermarket, with about 4-5 people in front of you. Then a new line opens up and the cashier yells, "I'll take who's next in line." The people in front of you rush to the new line, leaving you with a cashier who's all yours.

That's why I'm sticking with AT&T. The Verizon line will open up, everyone will rush over, and then leave me as the only AT&T customer on its network. Imagine how fast my 3G will be!
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

yes, it was a security breach.

they didn't suspend orders because they pre-sold 5x their allotment yesterday... honest.

i bet 25 TIMES as many iPhone4's sell during launch than EVO's did, but then again, ATT isn't charging 97% of americans an extra 10 bucks a month for features they can't use.

Then why do they charge for voice calls? Certainly wasn't a feature I could use on AT&T!
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Quote:

Then why do they charge for voice calls? Certainly wasn't a feature I could use on AT&T!

• Reply 37 of 77
    Good job AT&T for giving even more of our personal information out to strangers! Why is it that you don't hear this happening to Sprint or Verizon? Uhh because they aren't horrible! Gosh AT&T may be the new criKit.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

You know when you're in line at the supermarket, with about 4-5 people in front of you. Then a new line opens up and the cashier yells, "I'll take who's next in line." The people in front of you rush to the new line, leaving you with a cashier who's all yours.

That's why I'm sticking with AT&T. The Verizon line will open up, everyone will rush over, and then leave me as the only AT&T customer on its network. Imagine how fast my 3G will be!

Hahahahahaha
  • Reply 39 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Yet another troll to add to add to my ignore list. Why are you a member of this forum?
  • Reply 40 of 77
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Just imagine how Verizon's servers will overload when Apple finally wises up. I can't understand how Steve Jobs can let all those customers slip through his hands. I can only assume he doesn't need the business. But I guess there are a lot of Verizon faithful like me who would rather wait for an iPhone than jump to an Android.