Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.4 with trackpad, CS3 related fixes

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    mintmint Posts: 17member
    Phew!, complete coincidence. Took the RAM out and refitted it. All seems well again. I hate installing updates, I always expect something like this to happen!
  • Reply 62 of 68
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Just happened on my mid-2009 MBP as well. The "suck" is that I think my apple care is expired.

I called AppleCare and they suggested running DiskUtility (duh! I didn't think of that)

and it found dozens of errors on a MBP I've only used a few weeks (and rarely used

for 2 of them when I had it at home).

Also, Alsoft says that their latest version of Disk Warrior doesn't work with the latest MBPros.

I've e-mailed them asking what to do.

G
  • Reply 63 of 68
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Icon previews. Has this happened to anyone else? An example would be album cover art on music files. It also appears to have broken art with music Quicklook as well
  • Reply 64 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Yesterday's drop and what was released today is the same build. My dev machine is a 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,2) with an Intel X25-M Gen2 SSD running the latest and TRIM supported firmware, 2CV102HD. Still no dice on TRIM support in System Profiler. Please let me know if you have different luck on other hardware. For my part, I'll be pissed if it does work for others but happy for you at the same time.

Edit: I wonder if/when people who bought the stock SSD start to raise hell about performance, Apple will give us some indication when we can expect support. * crosses fingers *

I don't believe that Apple has enabled this for common usage as yet.

What's interesting about this of course, is how this affects all other devices with Flash memory. I have some people telling me that their Flash memory devices have slowed up over time. I wonder if it could be the write problems with SSD's being seen here with the controller-less Flash in the devices. If so, this is going to be an ongoing problem until manufacturers solve it with a trim-like software upgrade.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Actually, not. It's a distraction and a waste of time to wait for TRIM.

Older Indilinx-based drives don't need TRIM either. The latest firmware for them from companies like OCZ supports garbage collection that is satisfactory for maintaining high performance.

Sandforce drives have only been on the market about a month and their price/GB is already nearly identical to that of Intel and Indilinx.

What you're saying isn't true. And Sandforce drives have been out for a while now. They're in their second generation, and a number of companies are offering drives based on that controller. Garbage collection has nothing to do with these erase/write problems. Where do you get that from?
  • Reply 66 of 68
    jimoasejimoase Posts: 47member
    Mail rules page overflow is still broke. This problem, which has been confirmed by Apple many times, still exists as it has since OSX 10.4.0

Prove it for your self...

Open Mail/preferences/Rules

Create a rule

Add 25 plus conditions .... a list of your friends whose email you would like to go to a single folder

When the 25th condition is created the Rules window will overflow off the bottom of the screen. Taking the control buttons out of view with the bottom of the window.

Fortunately the OK button is by default able to be activated with the Enter Key or the window would be deep end problem for mail

Jim
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

10.6.4 Combo Update

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106

Much obliged! Went right to it, thank you!!!
  • Reply 68 of 68
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Anyone here have a 2010 Macbook Pro that's constantly crashing hard requiring total restart? I've had this happen now multiple times on a replacement MBP i5 15" Apple sent me. 10.6.4 doesn't seem to fix this extremely serious issue, as I was hoping it would.