Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000

Comments

• Reply 101 of 176
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

anyone know how At&t and Apple are dealing with rolling over your current iPhone rate plan. The Apple website claims you can roll-over your current wireless AND data plan if you have the 3G or 3Gs. Anyone know if this was part of the ording process?

I have the basic $49/mo 450 voice and $30/mo data 3G plan and don't want to loose that. Looking at At&t's current voice plan of $69 a month for the base 450 plan now is highway robbery!!! I'm totally not wanting to loose this!

also, does anyone know how trading in your old phone works? I'd like to recycle it like i did my old iPod Mini. Apple gave me a 10% discount on my new purchase for doing so. Anyone know if they will do this for the iPhone?

Holy GOD!! I'm in Canada, and with rogers I pay $60 a month after fees and taxes for my iPhone.. and I thought I was getting ripped off :S

Thank you for making me feel better about my provider lol
  • Reply 102 of 176
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Lost in all this iPhone 4 hype is the fact that Apple is now selling unlocked iPhones in Canada.

How on Earth does Apple justify charging the same for an iPhone 3GS as they do an iPad Wi-Fi? It can't possibly cost more than half that of an iPad with a 10" screen, A4 processor, and 16GB of Memory.
  • Reply 103 of 176
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Blind faith is one of the most exploitable features corporations and governments see in the human race. Use your brains and never trust anything - not your priest, not your president and certainly not a profit driven corporation that enslaves its workforce worldwide.

I trust myself... my ability to perform research, my experience, my observation, my ability to weigh facts, my ability to recognize propaganda... and finally my ability to take a calculated risk for the potential of a great reward!

This "trust" has served me well for over 70 years, in business, friendship, marriage!

You need to lighten up, maybe learn a song...

...Here ya' go:

Quote:

\t The rose

Some say love, it is a river, that drowns the tender reed

Some say love, it is a razor, that leaves your soul to bleed

Some say love, it is a hunger, an endless aching need

I say love, it is a flower, and you, it?s only seed

Its the heart afraid of breaking, that never learns to dance

Its the dream afraid of waking, that never takes the chance

Its the one who won?t be taken, the one who can?t seem to give

And the soul afraid of dying, that never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely and the road has been too long

And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong

Just remember that in the winter, far beneath the bitter snow

Lies the seed, that with the sun?s love in the spring becomes the rose.

• Reply 104 of 176
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:

1) What's $90 a month x 24 months? Plus $199? Grab a calculator!

2) http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...urn-policy.jsp

It's not exactly free (You have to pay a 10% restocking fee).

So is everyone who doesn't tow the Apple brand blindly a troll? I am a stock owner in Apple...

What do you think it cost to own an Incredible, Moto Droid or Evo on sprint or verizion for two years?

That's the cost for owning a smart phone here in the US.

Ofcourse, if you can't afford it, don't buy one!
  • Reply 105 of 176
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

So is everyone who doesn't tow the Apple brand blindly a troll? I am a stock owner in Apple...

Heh heh. Obviously, not much of a thinker, are you? Or reader, for that matter.....

(Add: In case that was too cryptic for you: there are few free options in life. Rational people surely know that.)
  • Reply 106 of 176
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

What do you think it cost to own an Incredible, Moto Droid or Evo on sprint or verizion for two years?

Damn, I thought they were free.
  • Reply 107 of 176
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

By the way, somebody needs to send that news story to Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer. You know, the Microsoft CEO that, in May of 2007, said that here was no chance that the iPhone would get any significant market share!

Mark

Need to get Jodie Foster in her "Maverick" movie role reprise her questioning of the gunfighter when Maverick drew his gun and she asked if that was a fast gun draw that now she should ask Ballmer of Apple announcing over 600,000 iPhone pre-orders is "selling well" which was what Ballmer said the iPhone may not or may do when he gave his impressions when the first iPhone was released in 2007.

Jodie can ask Ballmer, 600,000 plus in one day "Was that selling well? I thought that was selling well. Was it selling well? Was it?
  • Reply 108 of 176
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

How on Earth does Apple justify charging the same for an iPhone 3GS as they do an iPad Wi-Fi? It can't possibly cost more than half that of an iPad with a 10" screen, A4 processor, and 16GB of Memory.

Do you not remember the prices for the nexus one? Or the extra $150 for a 3G radio on the iPad? I'm not saying that the prices couldn't be lower, I'm just saying that these things aren't cheap just because they are smaller. In fact, making something smaller often makes it more expensive.
  • Reply 109 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I trust myself... my ability to perform research, my experience, my observation, my ability to weigh facts, my ability to recognize propaganda... and finally my ability to take a calculated risk for the potential of a great reward!

This "trust" has served me well for over 70 years, in business, friendship, marriage!

You need to lighten up, maybe learn a song...

...Here ya' go:

Two thumbs up!
  • Reply 110 of 176
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The site also said changes could not be made to my Family plan through the website itself. Right now, I have all of the above, EXCEPT I do have unlimited messaging. I'm assuming that won't get messed up since I didn't make changes, but who knows. Once I get the phone I may opt for 2GB plan at $25/month. I really don't use close to that. Then again, I may start to with the new phone's capabilities, so perhaps I'll keep the unlimited data.

Is the phone going to consume anymore data really then 3GS?? I know facetime is WiFi only so that no big difference..

What features do you think would heavily increase data consumption?
  • Reply 111 of 176
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Ah well, I have got $2200 to waste, so who cares.
  • Reply 112 of 176
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:

It's more like $2600-$2700 by the time taxes are figured in. But anyway, who judges the cost of their cellphone over 2 years? Most people view it over the span of 1 year, as they do the rest of their bills. Moreover, the real cost of the iPhone is the opportunity cost of choosing the iPhone over other options (as it is with all products). The iPhone itself (lets say the 16GB model) only has a cost of about $50, because most good smartphones start at $150 and up. As for cellular plans, there's really not much difference at all for voice/data between carriers. There's also the cost of choosing and using one network vs. the other, and the cost of using one OS vs. the other, etc etc to factor in, but these are more difficult to determine, as they are largely unique for each individual. To sum it up, the cost of using the iPhone isn't that bad at all. And if people are complaining (e.g. struggling to afford it), then my guess is they probably shouldn't be paying for such a service in the first place.
  • Reply 113 of 176
    Quote:

horrible argument. you can go many times into a house you are keen on buying and see it for as long as you want (or as long as the Realtor allows).

That's not true in a "seller's" market. When I moved to Palo Alto, in 1971, average houses were on the market for 3 days. I looked at houses, for about a week. Then flew my wife in for the final selection... All the houses I selected were sold before she even got to see them.

Again, if you do proper research, listen to others (our realtor, in this case), you can weigh the options and make a decision (every decision involves risk).

While it may not be worth the risk to you, it may be to others! Do you think people making high 6-7 figure incomes care about $2200 to the same degree as those making $35-$70K?

• Reply 114 of 176
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Holy GOD!! I'm in Canada, and with rogers I pay $60 a month after fees and taxes for my iPhone.. and I thought I was getting ripped off :S

Thank you for making me feel better about my provider lol

heck, my girlfriend has the first iPhone and her voice was rolled over from her razor phone at $39/mo and the 30/mo iphone data plan. The crap thing is that if she want's to upgrade to the iP4, she has to renew her plan, which is a huge bag of crap!!!

It seems like since the iphone has come out, At&t has raised their base voice plan 10$/mo every year. This must be thier way to make up for the reduced rates of the new data plans. So if you want the new plan, they raise the voice premium to make up for the $15/mo less you pay for data. This is just ridiculous!!!

I'm definately going to be careful when upgrading my phone to the iP4.
  • Reply 115 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dklu View Post

Order?

Yesterday @ 7 am I got all the way thru the order process to submit order. I hit the submit order button and it sat and spun for a minute and then I got an error message.

This morning I got a CSS for I-phone e-mail from ATT. So I checked order status and I have an order number but the status says - in process - no ship date -1 ordered ? 0 shipped ? 0- backordered.

Is this an order?

No... you can (and should) cancel this order.

Just order another-- likely won't get it until July 5-6.

• Reply 116 of 176
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

1)

Even though they enslave their workers????
  • Reply 117 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yep, he's trolling alright.

LOL

He then contradicks his position again even after you make the astute AAPL comment.

WTF!

Is "contradicks" a Freudian slip? ...A double entendre? ...A simile?

• Reply 118 of 176
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Ah the poor AT&T network. I can smell the servers smoking already.

a lot of these were existing customers. Great news for Apple but verdict still out for AT&T.
  • Reply 119 of 176
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Doesn't this just show how easily led consumers are in this country? Has anyone even touched one of these things before pre-ordering it blindly? Giving AT&T upwards of $2200 in total for a 2 year contract without touching the thing let alone seeing the bugs that arise, etc with the hardware and software update is insane.

You are aware that there is a return period right? I have been on AT&T/Cingular for over 5 years, and have experience with several generations of iPhones (and Android a BB phones as well), and so far they both keep improving. I feel pretty safe pre-ordering the iPhone 4 based on the wealth of data that has been released, intentionally or not. If it turns out to be a mistake, I can return it. I would hardly call that blind, insane, or easily led. Discounting the track record, the pre-release info and reviews and ignoring the return option sounds a lot more like blind and insane to me.
  • Reply 120 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idanceapps View Post

First of all, I think June is just my lucky month!

My birthday was June 11th

I was able to get in the apple system and pre-order my iPhone 4 on June 15th

and today I have officially become a US Citizen!

Amazing month! Can't wait to get my hands on this phone on the 24th of June!

Christian

Hey, congrats! And welcome to being a citizen of the most imperfect, frustrating and wonderful country on the planet.

Like the rest of us US Citizens, you have the obligation to make it better!