AT&T suspends iPhone 4 preorders as security breach reports grow

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This kinda calls into question the "Android has totally defeated the iPhone" crowd's talking points doesn't it.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm sure that is an issue, but WiMAX is much newer and more power hungry than UMTS. Plus, with so few chipmakers focusing on this technology and producing so few chip in comparison it's likely to be considerably less refined than it could be.

Most definitely. I was just pointing out that some of the worst case reports were probably in areas without 4G coverage.

I don't think an EVO's battery life would be enough for me. Even the "good" reports suggest that it only lasts a day. I don't want to be tethered to a charger like that.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Why is the title of the article trying to imply that they suspended ordering because of the potential security breach?

If any other company sold out of their supply they would suspend pre-ordering.

Why does that normal action mean anything other than ATT sold out their supply?

And if this was such a problem why were ATT and Apple able to sell out all of their initial supply amounts?

Apple & ATT had so much demand that initial inventory has been consumed (which was more units than any previous release to date) and they managed to handle the volume even despite the apparent nightmare security issues.

Most business would be applauded for that.

Come on folks, focus on the race. If you look at the wall during the spin, you brain will be crushed by the wall.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This kinda calls into question the "Android has totally defeated the iPhone" crowd's talking points doesn't it.

The demand for the iPhone should have come as no surprise to anyone. Emphasis on should.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:

It makes you wonder if last quarter results for android sales percentage was a result of the massive amount of people waiting till this quarter to by new iphones. It will be interesting to see how the percentages of iphones and android phones sold will compare this quarter.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:

And this is with 4G on the entire time, not turning it on-and-off for intermittant use? How much time have you actually spent using it according to the Android stats? What are the power drain percentages with 4G on according to Android (I'd like to compare with Nexus One)?

He also forgot to mention he uses a task killer every 10 minutes.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    Quote:

And this is with 4G on the entire time, not turning it on-and-off for intermittant use? How much time have you actually spent using it according to the Android stats? What are the power drain percentages with 4G on according to Android (I'd like to compare with Nexus One)?

Actually I think the vast majority of Evo owners don't even have 4G service. I am one of the exceptions seeing I live right in Atlanta.

I don't have 4G on all the time but I do get a full day out of my phone.

However make no mistake the battery life is nothing to rave about. Its the only real weakness I can find with the phone. The ATT network at least on paper should be good where I am but for some reason it sucks. Could be due to network congestion.

Anyways the back and forth about the battery life is somewhere in the middle. For those that say its only last three hours or dies halfway through the day are wrong, for those that say its always going to last all day, they are also incorrect.

Also I rarely feel the need to turn on 4G there really isnt anything that 3g or my wifi at home and work can't handle rather well. For the extra 1mbps I get under 4G doesn't really make a difference.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

He also forgot to mention he uses a task killer every 10 minutes.

Also false. The need to run a task killer is a myth. I have a system panel app on my Evo and have yet to feel the need to kill tasks. Android does a fine job of managing memory.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Then why do they charge for voice calls? Certainly wasn't a feature I could use on AT&T!

enjoy your EVO. i honestly mean that. but if you're stupid enough to have bought a 3GS in Chicago less than a year ago [during AT&T's highest overload period] thinking your calls wouldn't be dropped, don't act so smug here.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i also just realized the "demand 10 times greater than 3GS" above.

the 3GS sold 1 million units in it's first weekend...

are we expected to believe that there were 10 million pre-orders placed for iPhone4?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...per_month.html

producing 3 million per month, simple math says that with a 3-million unit stockpile at launch, some people won't get the phone they pre-ordered yesterday until the beginning of September.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    Hopefully it all dies down by October when my contract is up.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Yet another troll to add to add to my ignore list. Why are you a member of this forum?

Well, you could examine his 23 posts since registering and get a pretty good idea of why he's a member of this forum.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Narziss View Post

No kidding. All of a sudden everyone has so much experience at running multinational corporations and IT departments that it allows them to tell us what such companies should be and shouldn't be doing at this time. I think we are clearly much better served if they log off the forum and forward their resumes over to AT&T and Apple as quickly as possible. They may be our only hope.

Excellent point. I never cease to be amazed at all these anonymous people who know more about running Apple than Jobs.

Just think what the share price would have been if iGenius or Groovetube or any of the others were in charge!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

That's interesting, from reports the EVO is a big POS, terrible camera, terrible battery life, paying for 4G service even though 99% of the customers don't have it, screens peeling apart, heats up like a waffle iron, ungrounded touch sensors... grats on your awesome phone!

Not to mention the good old fragmentation problem.

Oh, I know, the Apple haters will say that fragmentation isn't an issue for Android. But my daughter just got a new Motorola Backflip phone. While Android 2.2 has been released and 2.1 has been out for quite a while (and a number of other versions before that), her phone comes with Android 1.5!! They state that it will eventually be possible to upgrade to 2.1 (no 2.2!), but no timeline. A large number of the apps she wants to install require 2.1 or later, so there are a lot of the '18,000" apps that won't work, either.

Why anyone would want to mess with that kind of nonsense is beyond me-especially since Android is such a lousy OS to begin with.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    Quote:

Nope, mine's in perfect shape. Much better than my cracked corners white iPhone 3GS after 1 month of use (with no abuse)!

It's worth mentioning that the plastic on the iPhone 3Gs is very strong and that you simply *can't* crack the corners in that way without some serious (throwing against a wall, running over with your car), kind of abuse.

*Some* of the white iPhone 3G's had a cracked plastic issue, that was fixed, and if you had an iPhone with that particular issue, it would have been replaced by Apple for free (mine was). AFAIK, the issue didn't occur with the 3Gs, but if it did, the phone would be similarly replaced, for free.

So your story makes no sense. Either you seriously abused your phone, or you mixed up a story about your 3G with your 3Gs, you were unaware somehow that this was an issue that Apple had already identified, or you are just flat out lying.

pick one.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T on Wednesday stopped accepting iPhone 4 preorders entirely, informing consumers that sales were temporarily suspended due to demand ten times higher than for the iPhone 3GS.

Wow. This can't be good. AT&T is purported to already have a crappy network --- 600k new users is going to be challenging. Maybe most of those are existing customers...

I'm planning on finally switching from Verizon some time this year... glad I decided to wait and let things settle down before making the move.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Wow. Quite exaggerated posts there. My battery life is actually fine. I charged it to 100% before I left work yesterday. Used some 4G on the bus home, some this morning, little bit of navigation and other web browsing, texting, calls, etc. and I'm down to 54%. But I'll let you believe what you want, at least I can place a call now in Chicago :-)

Might want to re-evaluate how much you read into Engadget rumor mongling!

It is not rumor mongling. I don't read Engadget. Why don't you read this article, and there are plenty others just like it. So you do a little here and a little there, and your battery is already half dead? And you think that is fine? Good luck to you.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/05/...sprint-review/

Directly from the linked article:

"Simply put, the battery sucks. It?s a deal breaker. I?m really sorry to say that, too. In fact it hurts me because I wanted this phone so bad, but the battery life is horrible. The phone will lose a third of its battery sitting overnight with the GPS, WiFi, and 4G turned off. Even with Advanced Task Killer set to aggressive and auto killing apps every hour, the most I can get out of the phone is about ten hours.

Take yesterday: I pulled it off the charger at 9 am, checked my mail and ESPN a couple of times during church, used the GPS navigation for 13 miles, and then checked my mail a few times throughout the afternoon while I was at a family event. The phone died promptly at 6 pm. It?s that bad.

I?ve tried a few different things like using a static background rather than a live background, turning off widget animation, disabling WiFi/4G/GPS, and setting Advanced Task Killer to aggressive. Nothing makes a significant difference. The phone just sucks the battery dry.

So here?s the problem. Power users are the ones that can fully take advantage of the large screen, but the more they use their phone, the faster it dies. The only way I can see to counter this is to plug in the phone whenever possible. When you sit down at your desk, plug it in. Drive to the store, plug it in. Go to bed, plug it in. You might want to invest in one of those instant charge battery packs, too."
  • Reply 57 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

OMG! 66k units!!![INDENT]? http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/06/...sales-numbers/[/INDENT

• Reply 58 of 77
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I can understand AT&T not accepting any more pre-orders. OK, they sold out of their supply. But what about Apple. Why did Apple suspend pre-orders? Did they run out of supply? How about taking orders for a later delivery? As of this date (the day after), they are not accepting pre-orders despite the fact that the link remains on the store web site. I get a message that says "unable to complete set up online".... visit a store on the 24th to pick up a first come, first served phone.

"Apple Retail Store

Currently, there are no reservations available. But you can still pick up an iPhone on a first-come, first-served basis at your favorite Apple Retail Store starting at 7 a.m. on June 24. And since you?ve already set up your account online, you?ll save time when you stop by the store."

WTF!

Very disappointed! Maybe I don't want an iphone after all.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

What a mess...! Glad I went with my Sprint Evo. Great service, great device, no security breaches, and no iPhone 4 lottery (and a ton cheaper per month to boot!).

why are you here?
  • Reply 60 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibuzz View Post

I can understand AT&T not accepting any more pre-orders. OK, they sold out of their supply. But what about Apple. Why did Apple suspend pre-orders? Did they run out of supply? How about taking orders for a later delivery? As of this date (the day after), they are not accepting pre-orders despite the fact that the link remains on the store web site.

It appears they did run out of supply otherwise they would have kept accepting pre-orders, been able to promise more supply to their retailers, and they wouldn't have to keep moving the new order ship by date back. I don't know how else to take it.

As for Apple not accepting pre-orders, the site seems to go through to the AT&T authentication page here in the US. If they having customers go through all that just to say that they can't pre-order then I agree that is wrong, but I can't imagine that is the case since do list a ship-by date of July 14th right now.