Flagship Apple Shanghai megastore now under red curtains

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's cylindrical glass tower entrance to the new underground retail megastore in Shanghai China, set to open mid July, is now decked in red curtains, signaling close proximity to launch.

The new real property is one of the two new stores opening in Shanghai this summer and counts among the 25 new Apple Stores that the company's chief operations executive Tim Cook said would open in China by the end of 2011.

The new store's design is reminiscent of Apple's iconic flagship New York City store on Fifth Avenue, which is similarly located entirely underground and features a dramatic giant glass cube entrance.

The new Shanghai store has an equally prominent location at the foot of the International Finance Center (and is part of the surrounding IFC Mall next to retail boutiques including Armani, Cartier, Chanel, Ferragamo, Gucci, Hermes, Prada, Vuitton, and Tiffany), and lies in the shadow of Shanghai's signature Oriental Pearl TV Tower landmark.

Earlier spy pictures published by MacGeneration indicated a cylindrical glass entrance for the new store wrapped in grey plastic, with a giant Apple logo suspended within the structure.

New pictures captured by reader dombi of the Hungarian-language BeszeljukMac site show the tower now decked in faux red curtains, similar to the launch of other Apple Stores. (A report by ifoAppleStore also published shots of the new store's red curtains.)

"When we walked down to stairs to the bottom of the structure," the BeszeljukMac photographer told AppleInsider, "a guy stepped in front of the camera and told us that we could not take shots of 'his work.' He said that we were not in a 'public area.' I asked him if he could tell me what was happening there, or when was it going to be unveiled, but he refused to say anything."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Wow. What a location... and what presentation. The red curtains really look stunning. Apple certainly knows how to create hype.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Cool, another reason to go visit Shanghai
  • Reply 3 of 39
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Wow. What a location... and what presentation. The red curtains really look stunning. Apple certainly knows how to create hype.

It's not hype. It's called showmanship, presence, and CLASS.

Hey MS, might as well cash in your chips now while they're worth anything at all.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

An underground store, although done before, still strikes me as an unusual design. I've not been in one before and would like to see what it's like. Maybe when I visit New York some time...
  • Reply 5 of 39
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It's not hype. It's called showmanship, presence, and CLASS.

Hey MS, might as well cash in your chips now while they're worth anything at all.

Wait--MS has worthwhile chips? When did that happen?

Seriously though, the best thing Microsoft would do right now is fire Ballmer, pick up an intense visionary who can whip things into order, quickly push out some of the basic products they've been working on, cut loose unneeded projects, focus on only the best ideas, and go underground for around two years rebuilding Windows and all of their projects, one by one. If they could strip out the fat and waste, burn the red tape, fire the incompetent managers and employees, hire good people of taste, and focus without looking back...they might again be great.

Of course, if only pigs could fly...
  • Reply 6 of 39
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    With all the Billions of Dollars streaming in every month, I think it is time for Steve Jobs to break ground in California for an Apple-themed amusement Park, or an Apple College, or something special.

What do you think?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"When we walked down to stairs to the bottom of the structure," the BeszeljukMac photographer told AppleInsider, "a guy stepped in front of the camera and told us that we could not take shots of 'his work.' He said that we were not in a 'public area.' I asked him if he could tell me what was happening there, or when was it going to be unveiled, but he refused to say anything."

"he refused to say anything"... a typical communist chinese...
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

An underground store, although done before, still strikes me as an unusual design. I've not been in one before and would like to see what it's like. Maybe when I visit New York some time...

As a kid I remember shops in the basements of downtown commercial buildings. Shoe shops and hobby shops.

But Apple is making "downstairs" into the new "upstairs."

Total genius design and strategy. In one respect it could be interpreted as an expression of humility. But at the same time it's an enticement to come inside and discover something very different. It's taking "Think different" to new lows! ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 39
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Sick filming skills man!
  • Reply 10 of 39
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    what's up!!!!

"Under Red Curtains, guarded by Ninjas"? excuse me please, but Ninjas are Japanese, not Chinese, D-Bags...

I call AI out on this for the same reason why i WILL NOT see the new Karate Kid movie.

Ok, it's called Karate Kid, yet the Martial Arts he is training for is Kung Fu. Kung Fu is Chinese, Karate is typically a Japanese Martial Art.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Good LORD Apple has some hardcore real estate hook ups..
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

what's up!!!!

"Under Red Curtains, guarded by Ninjas"? excuse me please, but Ninjas are Japanese, not Chinese, D-Bags...

I call AI out on this for the same reason why i WILL NOT see the new Karate Kid movie.

Ok, it's called Karate Kid, yet the Martial Arts he is training for is Kung Fu. Kung Fu is Chinese, Karate is typically a Japanese Martial Art.

Does anyone seriously care about your "splitting chop sticks" objections? I'm going to see the new one because I like the story and I like the actors. It should be fun. Whassa matter, doncha wanna have any fun?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:

what's up!!!!

Ninjas also don't exist "D-Bag".. so its actualy not that big a deal.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    glockpopglockpop Posts: 69member
    Quote:

what's up!!!!

"Under Red Curtains, guarded by Ninjas"? excuse me please, but Ninjas are Japanese, not Chinese.

You are under the impression that Apple can't hire Japanese Ninjas for its American retail store? Or that Chinese can't play the role of a ninja character? No sense of humor at all? What a mean spirited angry person little you are.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Why is this thing in the middle of a civic garden like area? The photos of the curtains make it look like it's all above ground.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

Seriously though, the best thing Microsoft would do right now is fire Ballmer, pick up an intense visionary who can whip things into order, quickly push out some of the basic products they've been working on, cut loose unneeded projects, focus on only the best ideas, and go underground for around two years rebuilding Windows and all of their projects, one by one. If they could strip out the fat and waste, burn the red tape, fire the incompetent managers and employees, hire good people of taste, and focus without looking back...they might again be great.

totally agree! i won't even put windows on my mac pro because of the hassle of just installing.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

what's up!!!!

i won't see the karate kid movie 'cause it's lame.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

What like steve jobs? :P
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Apple's first store in an authoritarian regime. Congratulations!

Perhaps they will open a flagship store in Pyongyang or Rangoon next.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

what's up!!!!

Nobody knows the nationality of apple ninjas. Or their identities.