iPhone 4 orders through Apple now ship by July 14, arrive even later

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    I assume this applies to the US?

UK now 2nd July. Has anybody who managed to order on the day had any feedback from Apple about delayed shipping?

I pre-ordered iPad on the first day it was available but only got it yesterday. I also got in early and pre-ordered the iPhone but I'm not holding my breath for 24th.

Apple are redefining the meaning of pre-order. I wonder how many Apple keep back for walk-ins on the day. The Regent street store in London had iPad in stock for 5 days and yet Apple hung onto my order for weeks. Still it makes for good PR when the BBC show people lining up outside the store.

Well done Apple your still the only company that can screw it's customers around and yet we still love you for it. They do say love is blind.

Written on iPad...finally!
  • Reply 22 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Gruber, yesterday had an interesting comment about iPhone 4 vs. latest Android phone, reproduced here.

I think it's a mistake on the part of Android makers to go this route, and the rush on iPhone 4, I think, bears this out, at least to some extent*. You aren't really getting that much more screen real estate on the Android phones, not enough that it changes the phone into something iPad-like, so it's basically just going to mean the screen elements are marginally larger, or maybe you can see an extra item in a list, but it becomes more awkward in the hand, and more to lug around. On the other hand, getting smaller means fitting in a pocket more easily (or into other places where it didn't fit well before) and better facilitates one-handed use. The RAZR, after all, was wildly popular based almost entirely on it's small size, and I think people generally don't want their phone to be bigger than it absolutely has to be.

* OK, there are lots of other things that make the phone attractive to lots of people, but I think the size is an important feature.

I disagree with your assessment that it's a mistake. I think that other vendors can't compete with Apple on pretty any level directly or as a whole so they have to do something different to appeal to customers. I think using a bigger screen is a good move. They don't have the economy of scale or background to do what Apple does with a phone from the CPU to the milling of a stainless steal frame, and all the way up to the OS. Apple's logic board looks wicked in the iPhone 4. I can't wait for that to be dissected.

Plus, they need that space for the larger battery since Android is less optimized, less engineered components, and (for Sprint) the WiMAX chip. The MS Kin shows an incredible amount of snap on components for the logic board.

PS: Gruber didn't mention one thing that seems to be trending with these Android phones. They are increasing the display size but maintaining the resolution. This makes sense so they don't have to create a tailored UI and the apps work the same, but it does mean that the ppi is dropping, even if just slightly while Apple's ppi has doubled. Moto seems to like 854x640 (FWVGA) and HTC likes 480x800 (WVGA).
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Hopefully Foxconn will be nice enough to work its workers into the ground to help meet demand. One company executive recently said that he expects the company to force workers to pull 24 hour shifts for the next 6 weeks.

I heard that they are redesigning the assembly lines vertically so when they jump off the roof they can still work on the way down.

(It's supposed to be funny, but if it's offensive to anyone I'll remove it)
  • Reply 24 of 71
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    This isn't very encouraging for those of us in a country that's, you know, not America. We're due to get the iPhone 4 in July, but if the US is already filling orders that they have to wait until July, what's to say they won't push back the release here?
  • Reply 25 of 71
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

i heard that they are redesigning the assembly lines vertically so when they jump off the roof they can still work on the way down.

(it's supposed to be funny, but if it's offensive to anyone i'll remove it)

lmao!!!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 71
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    I ordered this morning and got a ship date of 7/2. Arrival July 6th-8th. I'm good with that.

I still have to laugh as people froth at the mouth over having to wait. It's really not surprising. The 3G launch was like this, too. It took me a month to be able to buy one in a store. The demand for the iPhone 4 is just insane. That is why websites didn't function. Apple cannot work miracles. No other company could keep up with this kind of demand, either.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

This isn't very encouraging for those of us in a country that's, you know, not America. We're due to get the iPhone 4 in July, but if the US is already filling orders that they have to wait until July, what's to say they won't push back the release here?

It does suck and it's a possibility, but they tend to be good about making their own deadline for a product that has been released elsewhere, even if it's more limited than we'd prefer. In other words, I this point I think they'll make all the countries on the July list even if it's not until Friday July 30th and the retailers are getting only a very few units each.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Been trying to order since yerterday, no luck.

Now, Apple site immediately tells me: Your request couldn?t be processed.

We?re sorry, but there was an error processing your request. Please try again later.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Honestly I am surprised so many people are preordering. 10 times the demand of iPhone 3gS? That is increadible, considering many people were yawning at the apple announcement saying that Evo is better, bigger, more wireless hotspotty and better carrier.

I guess yawners were hella wrong.

Clarification I don't mean people at the WWDC were yawning, but comments on engadget and other blogs that were covering iPhone 4 were pretty harsh, saying nothing new, evo is better so on. You can dig back through engadget and other sites to find countless comments like that.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    Quote:

It does suck and it's a possibility, but they tend to be good about making their own deadline for a product that has been released elsewhere, even if it's more limited than we'd prefer. In other words, I this point I think they'll make all the countries on the July list even if it's not until Friday July 30th and the retailers are getting only a very few units each.

I live in RIM territory so I'm not really concerned about supply. A local Telus outlet had a huge lineup at opening the day the Blackberry Storm came out, and nobody with the 3GS. It's more the date that concerns me: July 30th isn't ideal.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I ordered mine through the App Store app. It didn't feel like a "solid" reservation, though.

The Ajax loading icon was active for about 10 seconds, but it just could be that they made the Ajax icon active for 10 seconds to make me think it actually logged into the reservation system and reserved a real phone, as opposed to giving me a reason to enter an Apple Store to buy accessories instead of picking up an actual phone.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Now up to July 24.......

You snooze, you lose.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now up to July 24.......

You snooze, you lose.

I should buy two, have them both up to my ears, and prance around local Apple Stores as others try to buy theirs, unsuccessfully.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

I disagree with your assessment that it's a mistake. I think that other vendors can't compete with Apple on pretty any level directly or as a whole so they have to do something different to appeal to customers. I think using a bigger screen is a good move.

... They are increasing the display size but maintaining the resolution. This makes sense so they don't have to create a tailored UI and the apps work the same, but it does mean that the ppi is dropping ...

I agree they need to do something, but, especially, as you mention, since the ppi is dropping, people will be lugging around a bigger screen for no real benefit. I could be wrong, but I just don't think these big screen, fat phones, like the one from Dell we ridiculed a while back, are going to end up being popular with consumers.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

I was going to preorder, but i want the white one. They'll probably be shipping those around august.

Me too, I have the 3G in white, and i'm sticking with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Production issues with white model?

I don't think (IMO) that it's a production issue moreso a decision made by Apple. My guess is producing one color right now (at launch) streamlines the produciton line. White phone was always less popular. If you remember, when the 3G launched, many apple store only HAD white iPhones left after the first couple weekends of sales. This shift in production priority probably eliminates that problem. People (like me) who really want the White one will have to wait. My guess would be that they will ship a limited supply to each location (be it Apple Stores, ATT, Best Buy and Radio Shack) on the 24th for walk-ins, or possibly by the end of July when current shipments are expected.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ultimate Fighter View Post

How many iphones will each store have on 6/24?

I ordered mine from best buy yesterday and they told me I was preorder #15. Do you think I will get my iphone on 6/24?

Yes.

(Of course, keep in mind that anyone who says anything other than 'I have no clue' - incl. those who work for BB - is lying. ).
  • Reply 37 of 71
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Well done Apple your still the only company that can screw it's customers around and yet we still love you for it. They do say love is blind.

Nah... they call it the Stockholm Syndrome.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    might have to sell mine on eBay on the 24th for around $800

re-order and wait it out...
  • Reply 39 of 71
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Honestly I am surprised so many people are preordering. 10 times the demand of iPhone 3gS? That is increadible, considering many people were yawning at the apple announcement saying that Evo is better, bigger, more wireless hotspotty and better carrier.

I guess yawners were hella wrong.

Clarification I don't mean people at the WWDC were yawning, but comments on engadget and other blogs that were covering iPhone 4 were pretty harsh, saying nothing new, evo is better so on. You can dig back through engadget and other sites to find countless comments like that.

People underestimate the importance of the new physical design to the masses. It's a huge sales driver. Huge.

Throw in At&t moving upgrade dates forward along with friendly-to-the-masses features (FaceTime, beautiful display, HD video camera) and you've got the perfect storm for a blowout upgrade cycle. Not to mention reduced data plan pricing.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    UK store still on July 2nd. And July 14 week is my birthday... But don't think I would wait that long...