Apple releases iTunes 9.2 with support for iOS 4, iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

9.2 (61). I had the same issue and had to manually update.

thanks! just saw your post right after I submitted. will do this now.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Why is there no iBookstore in the iTunes Store of iTunes 9.2?

They seem to have made a decision to only allow access via the iBooks app. For a text only book, downloading, even over edge is not a big deal. I suppose an ePub book with images could get larger, though. I wish they had allowed access through iTunes, though, just like everything else, and created an iBooks.app for OS X.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

And I hope iTunes X will be a really major re-design. iTunes just combines so many functions that it is completely opaque to someone new coming to it - iPods, music, film, podcasts, now even pages documents etc. It's clear from the evolution of iTunes that they added more and more functionality. But for an average user it is not really clear whey the need to sync their mobile phone with an mp3 player software. They could simply start by designing a new icon ...

You hit the nail on the with regards to iTunes. I think it's interesting that they separated all these functions into different apps on the iOS.

To be honest I don't think you'll ever see these different functions be separated on the desktop. It seems that this is a hold over until devices like the iPad become indepedent from iTunes. Apple may view developing so many different apps for Mac and Windows as too arduous a task and can't rely on users dl'ing all of them.

Most likely you'll see iTunes turn part Cocoa & Webkit (in some parts it already is Webkit).
  • Reply 24 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

And I hope iTunes X will be a really major re-design. iTunes just combines so many functions that it is completely opaque to someone new coming to it - iPods, music, film, podcasts, now even pages documents etc. It's clear from the evolution of iTunes that they added more and more functionality. But for an average user it is not really clear whey the need to sync their mobile phone with an mp3 player software. They could simply start by designing a new icon ...

That's the problem with iTunes and likely the reason for the delay. It's a complex app and it the gateway for connecting your iDevices to your Macs. They have to rewrite the entire thing and release a solid product out of gate and it has to be very similar to the current version unless they allow for both to be installed and supported at the same time, which I don't think will happen.

They re-released iMovie when people complained about the new one being too different and not having the features they liked from the previous version.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You hit the nail on the with regards to iTunes. I think it's interesting that they separated all these functions into different apps on the iOS.

I hope the next major version of Mac OS X make the ~/Movies folder ~/Video. It's a pet peeve of mine since.

Quote:

Most likely you'll see iTunes turn part Cocoa & Webkit (in some parts it already is Webkit).

THe stores have been WebKit for sometime now.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    My Win XP software update reporting that my download is at 64.28MB instead of the article's 92.29MB. Doing it for my Mac next and Win 7 64-bit tomorrow. See how they fare...
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's the problem with iTunes and likely the reason for the delay. It's a complex app and it the gateway for connecting your iDevices to your Macs. They have to rewrite the entire thing and release a solid product out of gate and it has to be very similar to the current version unless they allow for both to be installed and supported at the same time, which I don't think will happen.

They re-released iMovie when people complained about the new one being too different and not having the features they liked from the previous version.

I don't think the issue is that the app needs to be rewritten. Most complaints about iTunes is about how slow it is. While it may get slightly faster with a Cocoa rewrite and easier to use in some respects, it doesn't solve the issue. This is more of an issue for Windows users who, frankly speaking, vastly outnumber iTunes users on the Mac.

These different functions (music, video, books, documents) need to be separated and Apple has shown a reluctance to do so and I don't think it will change.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

That's right. I hope it wiil not be too big a challange to find the right way here. But Apple does have a track record of radically changing things and leaving old stuff behind (not only iMovie - and I am also not only talking about Flash here!) I have to say I wish Apple finds the courage to radically re-ignite what is currently known as 'iTunes'.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

I hope the next major version of Mac OS X make the ~/Movies folder ~/Video. It's a pet peeve of mine since.

THe stores have been WebKit for sometime now.

LOL, 100% agree on both. It's always been a mystery to me why that isn't so with videos. I don't think we'll see it though. iTunes is starting to become it's own OS wrapped around a bigger OS.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They seem to have made a decision to only allow access via the iBooks app. For a text only book, downloading, even over edge is not a big deal. I suppose an ePub book with images could get larger, though. I wish they had allowed access through iTunes, though, just like everything else, and created an iBooks.app for OS X.

That's exactly what I was hoping for as well.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I don't think the issue is that the app needs to be rewritten.

It does need to be rewritten. That is the only way it's going to be Cocoa and 64-bit. I hear there is also a lot of legacy code in there dating back to SoundJam.

I agree that iTunes needs love on Windows, but that has no baring on Apple's plans to eliminate Carbon and push Cocoa into the future.

BTW, with my SSD iTunes loads in 1 second. I love it!
  • Reply 32 of 65
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

September is the earliest date rumoured. The last I heard is that iPad won't get 4.0 at all, but they will all come together with 4.0.1 around September/October this year.

I assume Apple will stick with the 1-year release cycle for the iPad, which would mean no refresh for the usual September iTunes/iPod event.

I'm thinking that event will be all about the cloud version of iTunes, playlist and download syncing over WiFi, possibly limited WiFi syncing to the nano, and maybe -- finally -- the Beatles catalog.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Of things announced I think the only thing left is XCode. I have mixed feeings with respect to XCode but hey maybe they will get it right soon.

Ever? They just got updated last year. I'd rather see a major overall, especially to numbers so that it supports advanced users better. If Apple does it right that won't happen in a short one year upgrade cycle.

In otherwords I'd like to see iWork updated but I'd rather like the trivial yearly updates to go away. Instead put the effort into numbers for a release that blows Excel away and blazes new paths.

Dave

I'd love to see Numbers have Service hooks for R, Matlab, Maxima, Octave and others. Also, hooks for PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    The most disappointing thing with Numbers has to be performance. Excel can open and work with very large documents rather easily. Numbers gets dead slow with even a modest sized file (especially when it comes to searching). In fact, taking a big CSV file and opening it as raw text in Safari is a million times faster to search than doing so via Numbers.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Ever? They just got updated last year. I'd rather see a major overall, especially to numbers so that it supports advanced users better. If Apple does it right that won't happen in a short one year upgrade cycle.

In otherwords I'd like to see iWork updated but I'd rather like the trivial yearly updates to go away. Instead put the effort into numbers for a release that blows Excel away and blazes new paths.

Dave

iWork came out on 1/6/2009, so we're already passed the 1 year development cycle. The "ever" bit meaning I wanted a new release this last January and hope the iPad version doesn't mean they haven't been working on a newer OSX release all that time. The iPad version doesn't bring anything to the table for a newer OSX version so to me that was a distraction, unless I buy an iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    1stmac1stmac Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

At last! After some three months, I'll be able to discover if a William Morris-influenced-Tolkien book that I published via the iBookstore really is there. Not having an iPad, I've not been able to check. Come Monday when I upgrade to iOS 4.0 on my touch, actually see how well it reads on a tiny screen.

Publishing blind has an eery feel to it. ...

The iPad emulator should be close enough?
  • Reply 37 of 65
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    Expect massive waits for the iOS 4 and Apple's servers being overwhelmed. I see this in my mind's eye.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

Expect massive waits for the iOS 4 and Apple's servers being overwhelmed. I see this in my mind's eye.

Shouldn't be a problem since it won't involve checking account data from AT&T's servers.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Will the iPad be upgraded to IOS4 anytime soon?

iPad will get IOS4 in the fall per Apple
  • Reply 40 of 65
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by viennese View Post

where is iBooks app for iPhone ???

The story implies the new iBooks is dependant on iOS 4.